Curcumin to lower blood sugar?

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had any success with using spices to lower blood sugar? After going thru lots of information I've started on Curcumin tablets (Turmeric). I'm not really a person that usually believes in these things, but after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes I really would like to reverse it. I'm also on a low carb diet and have lost weight, and are adding High intensity training as soon as it gets a bit cooler here.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Turmeric did nothing for my bs but it did thin my blood. Too much. It was like water but it's a great anti I flammotory. None of them helped me. Jus flow carb did

Reactions: kumera

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read that turmeric is bad for People that have had a kidney transplant ... wonder why that would be and if turmeric is bad for People with kidney problems as well

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have golden turmeric paste, garlic capsules, cider vinegar and ginger tea all in the hope of reducing my cholesterol. No idea if any of it has any effect on anything really but willing to try!

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
I eat cooked karela and I find that my sugar levels drop. If you can tolerate the taste, I suggest u try juicing the karela and drinking it.

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
Karela is 'bitter gourd '

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have golden turmeric paste, garlic capsules, cider vinegar and ginger tea all in the hope of reducing my cholesterol. No idea if any of it has any effect on anything really but willing to try!
Try low carb :) Side-effect of lowering your blood sugar with a low carb diet. My blood pressure's never been better before as well.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard of golden paste. Supposed to be good for a lot of things. Let us know if you think it works. Just be aware that ginger also thins your blood, I think?

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try low carb :) Side-effect of lowering your blood sugar with a low carb diet. My blood pressure's never been better before as well.

I do lowish low carb as well. My bgs are mainly in the 5s so I am doing well. The doc cancelled my second 3 month check. Said I didn't need it because my Hba1c had gone from 97 to 41 and I have lost 3 stone and to have it after 6 months instead.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The last time I cooked up a meal I through in just about every spice we had in and if the wife hadn't stopped me the spice rack would of gone in as well I do tend to get carried away with things at times. Not sure if they actually help but the taste is good.

I do use fenugreek a lot as it is supposed to be beneficial for BS.

"Diabetes. Some research shows that consuming fenugreek seed, mixed with food during a meal, lowers blood sugar levels after the meal in people with type 2 diabetes. However, while taking 5-50 grams of fenugreek seed once or twice daily seems to work, lower doses of 2.5 grams don't seem to work. In people with type 1 diabetes, taking 50 grams of fenugreek seed powder twice daily seems to reduce the amount of sugar in the urine.

Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea). Taking 1800-2700 mg of fenugreek seed powder three times daily for the first 3 days of a menstrual period followed by 900 mg three times daily for the remainder of two menstrual cycles reduces pain in women with painful menstrual periods. The need for painkillers was also reduced."

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-733-fenugreek.aspx?activeingredientid=733&

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Has anyone had any success with using spices to lower blood sugar? After going thru lots of information I've started on Curcumin tablets (Turmeric). I'm not really a person that usually believes in these things, but after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes I really would like to reverse it. I'm also on a low carb diet and have lost weight, and are adding High intensity training as soon as it gets a bit cooler here.
An experiment conducted by Newcastle Uni suggests that consuming turmeric when it is cooked with fat is more beneficial than taking tablets. I have golden milk most mornings for breakfast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...s-turmeric-really-help-protect-us-from-cancer

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I got an email from Healthspan recently pushing their version.

Rubbished the BBC because you need a lot of powdered Turmeric to absorb enough.
Rubbished versions with black pepper in because. allegedly, it can interact with other medications (although it is difficult to find any evidence online).
Praised their liquid in a capsule version.

I still haven't worked out how much (mixed with fat) you have to consume a day to have a noticeable effect.