Morrisons salad bar

vekay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks

I was a big fan of the Morrisons salad bar which I used to have when grabbing a quick work lunch.

Since diagnosed, I thought I would check if it was diabetic friendly and the result was shocking.

Before the meal my level was 4.8 and after the salad my level was 10.2 !!

This is what I had in a medium box

Grated carrot, sweet corn, boiled egg, two falafels, sweet peppers, one cherry tomato, cucumber, bean salad, chick peas salad.

Any ideas on what in that list could have spiked me so much ? I left out of most the high carb items like pasta etc.

Cheer
Vjay

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Most likely the beans @vekay , pulses can be a bit carby depending on the type. Chickpeas are also about 60% carbohydrate but of course I don't know the relative portion sizes.

How many carbohydrates are in the 'medium' size box?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
What were the salads dressed with? We have had to walk away from salad bars because everything is soaked in honey dressings etc. As you get used to a low sugar diet, you will taste it immediately, but, perhaps, at first you won't notice it so much so may eat without thinking.
Sally

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chickpeas have 61 gms of carbohydrates per 100 gms, and falafels have 31 gms of carbs per 100 gms.. I think the beans would also be high in carbs.

Reactions: Liftupjoe

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweetcorn is a grain, the beans and peas are high carb - when I want a salad I chose from the prepacked salad stuff - as it has the carb content on the back.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Chickpeas, corn, carrots, falafel and even potentially peppers to a smaller degree.

I tend to just go for lettuce, some sort of protein and a few raw veg like onion, mushrooms, cabbage and then a creamy dressing but they too can have sugar or worse HFCS.

vekay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies. The only slight issue is that the salad bar has no nutrition information and so its difficult to eliminate the high carb items. I have decided to not bother anymore with that.

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had salads from our local M.

I have always had higher than ideal levels, but not as high as yours. I'm wary of the coleslaws especially the fruity one, because the mayos are often sweetened. And I avoid the carby pasta, sweet corn, potatoes, felafel...

Actually, now I think about it, I am trying to remember what I DO have...

Salad leaves, peppers, cucumber, grated carrot, 2-3 hard boiled eggs, a blob of the plainest coleslaw, one new potato, in mayo, topped with grated cheese and those weird bacon sprinkles.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grated carrot, sweet corn, boiled egg, two falafels, sweet peppers, one cherry tomato, cucumber, bean salad, chick peas salad.

For me, everything but the boiled egg, peppers, cucumber and cherry tom. Also any dressing on it.
Was there a nutrition label on the box? If so, the total carbs amount will be there.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would blame dressing. Its better to buy a ready green salad in a plastic box and make your own dressing of mayo and lemon

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would blame dressing. Its better to buy a ready green salad in a plastic box and make your own dressing of mayo and lemon
Oooo....I make loads of mayo based dressing but never thought of jus lemon. Betting some basil in there would be wonderful!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooo....I make loads of mayo based dressing but never thought of jus lemon. Betting some basil in there would be wonderful!
I love lemon in salads. Any combination works lemon+olive oil, lemon+mayo. lemon+mustard+olive oil :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love lemon in salads. Any combination works lemon+olive oil, lemon+mayo. lemon+mustard+olive oil :)
Haha. I just used mayo, both lemon and basil infused olive oil, asquueze of lemon slice and a bunch of fresh basil on my shrimp. Tonight I'll try it on egg salad!!! . I just blend mustard and mayo. Or hot sauce, horseradish. The list goes on. I'm a mayo junky!!! Love lemon too.