Low Blood Sugars With Nothing to Treat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw the film but haven't read the book. At last office xmas night out, one of our team is a budding but unpublished writer in her spare time, and as we got elegantly wasted we came up with the plot for the next great dsytopian near future novel which vaguely involved ukranian hackers hacking Theresa May's insulin pump via satellite and starting WWIII, devastating insulin supplies. Eva Saxl's great-granddaughter then turns up and saves the T1D populace by finding grandma's notes and figuring out how to make insulin from the pancreases of those otherwise useless vanity dogs which people carry about in handbags. All seemed a great idea after two bottles of white, but the first chapter doesn't seem to have been written yet!

Sounds brilliant! So did they just happen to find an 80 year old Chihuahua at Bletchley park?? :cool:

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'd have this problem only if I would go out regularly because also I travel light (as in just keys and wallet), but might owe to the fact I haven't had a hypo for months

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds brilliant! So did they just happen to find an 80 year old Chihuahua at Bletchley park?? :cool:
Hmm, they kept that secret.Still, nothing wrong with planning ahead in case brexit gets messy, might try rake out Eva's notes myself! Amazing woman.

Reactions: Jaylee

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I read a suggestion somewhere--just go into a fast food place or coffee place and help yourself to sugar packets.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You've hit on the format for a reality TV game show....

Six celebrity diabetics are given 25 units and sent out cashless in a strange city. Their task: blag enough free carb to avoid the inevitable.

Dexcom and Medtronic compete to sponsor it: live CGM traces from each competitor sent back to the big screen in the studio - phone line betting on who'll hit 4 first.

Could call it the Hunger Games but that's already taken.

Winner/survivor wins a (lipohyper)trophy ...geditt, geditt?

Sorry, I'll get me coat....

Celebrity diabetics..lol. For some reason I can only think of Nick Jonas and Teresa May.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have experienced Hypo without food on me twice once in supermarket so ate item from shelf keeping wrapper to pay. Asked for somewhere to sit, assistant very helpful .on another occasion years ago was out with no money, went into corner shop and asked and was given help/ surgery drink. Now have jelly babies on me in pockets/ car drawer at work etc. Can happen don't be afraid to ask for help, even knocking on someone's door helped when I was a child.

I have oddly had hypos quite often in grocery stores. Luckily, I've had glucose tabs on hand.

pk2112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A good tip is carrying with you a sugar sachet at all times. I always have them close to my wallet so I'll never leave without it in my pocket. But I guess you could just enter some cafe and "borrow" a sugar sachet once they're free...

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A good tip is carrying with you a sugar sachet at all times. I always have them close to my wallet so I'll never leave without it in my pocket. But I guess you could just enter some cafe and "borrow" a sugar sachet once they're free...
Thanks, Don't wish to worry you, but be careful as if very low BG suger acts slower than glucose so may not be sufficient quick enough. That's why I now carry 4-6 jelly babies in bag/pocket etc. Or fruit pastilles .

abigail0432

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just make sure you always carry something as I had this happen once and it's so scary.
I went to visit my parents who lived a 5/10 min walk away from me in that time I was only a couple minutes away and I passed out on the path and split open my top lip. Luckily the person who found me knew who I was so acted quick to get my parents and an ambulance was called.
Since then even if I go for a few minutes I make sure I have treatments for 2 or more hypos.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happened to me a few months prior my diagnosis, when I was in the US. Guess I was pre-diabetic back then.
I was under extreme amounts of stress, and started binge eating to deal with a failing marriage in a land far away from home. One particular morning my wife and I had to fly from one city to another - she was holding a conference for hundreds of guests. We agreed to stop by somewhere and have breakfast (e.g. Waffle house) before catching the plane. But that never happened. She drove us straight to the airport...no questions asked. And it turns out that our CC funds were non-existent, we had no balance until the next day.

Back in those days (4 months prior my diagnosis) I already experienced severe hunger pangs from stress. So we were standing there on the airport with no food, no money, and my wife was like "Let's go! We don't have time for this, we will eat when we land". She didn't get it. With no food, no money, and stress turned up to max, I knew I will die that day. Just collapse and die. I started to feel sweaty, started to feel the earth move beneath my feet, started to feel dizzy, my heart rate increasing, sounds and voices fading... I had a real panic attack, but the will to live was too strong in me. So I ran straight to the airport's reception (this was a small airport) and there was just one guy standing behind the counter. I said hi and apologized for the situation, but I need help. Said that I need some form of food otherwise I feel like I will collapse. He just stared at me for a couple of seconds, then my wife chimed in "he's pre-diabetic". Still no response, then turned around, walked away and disappeared. I was now sitting on our luggage, panting. "This is it, I'm going to die".

Then out of nowhere the guy comes back with a Mars bar and hands it over to me, still mute. That Mars bar got devoured in less than 5 seconds, no questions asked. He literally saved my life and asked nothing in return, not even a thanks. I can't even remember his face or his name as everything was blurry, but the feeling of sheer terror still haunts me. I was very lucky that day. If he decided to either not help or to call an ambulance, then we would have missed the flight and the conference. Ever since then I don't trust anyone with food, not even my own family. I pack food wherever I go, even if it's a 5 minute walk up and down the stairs.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Fellow Type 1 Diabetics,

This is my first post and its just regarding something I have been thinking about....

If I was suffer from low blood sugars but for whatever reason had nothing with me to treat it e.g snacks, lucozade etc. But also had no money with me.

What would I do?

Would a shop be able to give me a free lucozade or snack?

Has anyone ever experienced this dilemma and if so I would like to hear what you did to overcome the low sugar levels!
My uncle (also type 1) was walking home from work when he realised he was going hypo and didnt have any money on him (he's got amazing control but when he does have a hypo it goes low very quickly) so he grabbed a can of coke from a stall and sat in the snow drinking it - conscious but unable to speak at this point. Police got called and my aunt arrived to him still sat there clutching onto this can and explained that he was a diabetic, not a drunk! Personally I've never had it happen to me with not having cash, but I have stormed into bars demanding orange juice whilst going hypo cause friends have been late!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
You've hit on the format for a reality TV game show....

Six celebrity diabetics are given 25 units and sent out cashless in a strange city. Their task: blag enough free carb to avoid the inevitable.

Dexcom and Medtronic compete to sponsor it: live CGM traces from each competitor sent back to the big screen in the studio - phone line betting on who'll hit 4 first.

Could call it the Hunger Games but that's already taken.

Winner/survivor wins a (lipohyper)trophy ...geditt, geditt?

Sorry, I'll get me coat....
Lol..... Scott, this is absolutely hilarious!!!!!

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happened to me a few months prior my diagnosis, when I was in the US. Guess I was pre-diabetic back then.
I was under extreme amounts of stress, and started binge eating to deal with a failing marriage in a land far away from home. One particular morning my wife and I had to fly from one city to another - she was holding a conference for hundreds of guests. We agreed to stop by somewhere and have breakfast (e.g. Waffle house) before catching the plane. But that never happened. She drove us straight to the airport...no questions asked. And it turns out that our CC funds were non-existent, we had no balance until the next day.

Back in those days (4 months prior my diagnosis) I already experienced severe hunger pangs from stress. So we were standing there on the airport with no food, no money, and my wife was like "Let's go! We don't have time for this, we will eat when we land". She didn't get it. With no food, no money, and stress turned up to max, I knew I will die that day. Just collapse and die. I started to feel sweaty, started to feel the earth move beneath my feet, started to feel dizzy, my heart rate increasing, sounds and voices fading... I had a real panic attack, but the will to live was too strong in me. So I ran straight to the airport's reception (this was a small airport) and there was just one guy standing behind the counter. I said hi and apologized for the situation, but I need help. Said that I need some form of food otherwise I feel like I will collapse. He just stared at me for a couple of seconds, then my wife chimed in "he's pre-diabetic". Still no response, then turned around, walked away and disappeared. I was now sitting on our luggage, panting. "This is it, I'm going to die".

Then out of nowhere the guy comes back with a Mars bar and hands it over to me, still mute. That Mars bar got devoured in less than 5 seconds, no questions asked. He literally saved my life and asked nothing in return, not even a thanks. I can't even remember his face or his name as everything was blurry, but the feeling of sheer terror still haunts me. I was very lucky that day. If he decided to either not help or to call an ambulance, then we would have missed the flight and the conference. Ever since then I don't trust anyone with food, not even my own family. I pack food wherever I go, even if it's a 5 minute walk up and down the stairs.
That must have been sooooo frightening!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lol..... Scott, this is absolutely hilarious!!!!!

Cheers @Soplewis12 ! There's going to be a sister series too. Bit like Stars In Their Eyes.

Competitors come on and say, "well, Matthew, tonight I'm going to..." and then they bring out a photo of a prominent mountain skyline, and say, "...draw Mount Fuji on my Libre 8 hour graph."

Matthew then says so how are you going to do that, competitor says, "well, Matthew, got my basal sorted, so that'll do for the flat plain on the West side in the first few hours, then I'll slope it up sharply with some white rice and a nice Thai green curry, but I'll have seriously pre-bolused so there's a sharp equal slide back down..voila, perfect iconic Fuji in miniature on a one inch screen, then basal kicks in for the East side plain".

Fuji would be easy so not many marks for that, but then you'd get guys coming on having a go at emulating the whole Annapurna range.

And some LCHFs basically doing the Dutch skyline with an occasional 1g of carb to create a windmill here and there.

Sure, it would be a remarkably slow and long programme, like, 8 hours, but people watch snooker and the shopping channels for that long anyway, don't they?

I tell ya, if Turner Prize artists are getting thousands in prize money for arranging three bricks ironically and giving it a pretentious name, there's surely some money in the game for T1s to push the limits of technology/biology and, err, draw stuff Etch-a-Sketch style on their libre.

Hmm, I think it's time to get me coat again!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Cheers @Soplewis12 ! There's going to be a sister series too. Bit like Stars In Their Eyes.

Competitors come on and say, "well, Matthew, tonight I'm going to..." and then they bring out a photo of a prominent mountain skyline, and say, "...draw Mount Fuji on my Libre 8 hour graph."

Matthew then says so how are you going to do that, competitor says, "well, Matthew, got my basal sorted, so that'll do for the flat plain on the West side in the first few hours, then I'll slope it up sharply with some white rice and a nice Thai green curry, but I'll have seriously pre-bolused so there's a sharp equal slide back down..voila, perfect iconic Fuji in miniature on a one inch screen, then basal kicks in for the East side plain".

Fuji would be easy so not many marks for that, but then you'd get guys coming on having a go at emulating the whole Annapurna range.

And some LCHFs basically doing the Dutch skyline with an occasional 1g of carb to create a windmill here and there.

Sure, it would be a remarkably slow and long programme, like, 8 hours, but people watch snooker and the shopping channels for that long anyway, don't they?

I tell ya, if Turner Prize artists are getting thousands in prize money for arranging three bricks ironically and giving it a pretentious name, there's surely some money in the game for T1s to push the limits of technology/biology and, err, draw stuff Etch-a-Sketch style on their libre.

Hmm, I think it's time to get me coat again!
Got me laughing again!