Type 2 - new to insulin

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was just wandering around to see if I could find any suggestions as to what I could take for some sinus problems following my 3rd cold since Christmas. I found this site and figured it could be useful for all sorts of things!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome @Sharon14448

For blocked sinus issues I use Olbas Oil, a few drops in some hot water with a towel over your head breathing in the vapour works wonders.

Reactions: Sharon14448

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Sharon14448,

I wouldn't have thought that anything you sniff would affect your blood sugar, so in that sense I think the choice is yours. But you're the person in charge - surely you can measure your sugar before and after to see any effect? If it's bad, you can avoid that medicine in the future.

To give you an idea, I was in hospital once and my sugar went beyond 30 mmol/l, so much so that a few of their glucometers went off-scale (in general, the glucometers on the wards are exactly the same ones that you or I would use at home). They got very worried and put me on an insulin drip to bring it down, but nothing bad happened to me as a result. I mean, it'd be very scary if you had that kind of blood sugar reading for weeks and months on end (most probably, suicidal), but as a one-off it had no long-term effect on me (in fact, I felt fine throughout). In my case, my sugar was back to "normal" within 12 hours or so.

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Sharon14448 and Welcome to the Forum :). You could try a few drops of Olba's Oil in bowl of hot water, drape towel over your head over the bowl and breathe in through your nose the vapours of menthol.

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Not sure if my suggestion will be valid but when I was diagnosed I gave up smoking and started to vape instead, if this suits you try a menthol juice, I use it all the time and it clears my sinuses and gives me my nicotine hit at the same time.