Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Hi,
I'm confused and need your imputation please.
A few days ago I did my strip test and it said 5.9mmol I took my basal jab at 6pm, only once a day at moment. 20 mins later my dinner was ready and I took my required amount of bolus humalog only about 5 units. I took my dinner to the lounge and started feeling really strange like I was going to pass out. I immediately did another strip test and it showed 1.7mmol, so I acted fast took 6 glucose tabs ate my dinner then had some sweet treats to raise my bloods. When I did my basal it did bleed a bit and a small amount of blood in the needle. So it dropped that low in 20mins and after all that eating went to 5mmols within 30 mins. I did call the 111 number and took their advice and called my dsn the following day to explain. I thought it could be that I hit a vein that it dropped that low. My dsn told me that it was not possible to have hit a vein and the fact I had been physically working hard for the last week that my basal had most likely run out and that's why it dropped so fast. What are your thoughts on this as I was really worried and have avoided my injections a bit since then. So if I work hard and my levels are 5mmol - 7.5mmol I've started not taking my bolus before eating in case I go to low. Can anyone please help. Thank you

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Vaper hi that was well low lucky you caught it in time if mine drops to 3 i feel awful i only take Novo rapid 15mins before meals and lantus before bed so can't really help with your insulin regime but I'm sure you will get plenty of advice on here please let us know how you get on? good luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had something similar happen years ago when I must have caught a muscle with my bolus. The suddenness of the drop was quite vicious.

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Hi azure, I usually inject in the stomach does the injection site make it more likely to experience something like this. I'm average build with little fat which is why I use my stomach as a pin cushion because sat down I can pinch that inch

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you inject in the same place as you usually do? I have had that happen once before (dropped 5 mmol in 30 mins) following a Lantus/basal injection. I'm almost certain it was because I injected into a different place in my thigh where there was less fat and likely hit a muscle. It did bleed a bit too which isn't normally the case.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi azure, I usually inject in the stomach does the injection site make it more likely to experience something like this. I'm average build with little fat which is why I use my stomach as a pin cushion because sat down I can pinch that inch

Mine was in the leg. I don't know about the stomach - whether there would be the same risk.

What basal insulin do you use, by the way?

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
I use last us basal and humalog bolus. I always inject basal in stomach but move around a bit for basal.

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Vaper I also did bolus injections in abdomen and inject long acting insulin in random spots like thighs, rear, occasionally the abdomen, when not using the pump.