Tubing discolouration

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I have recently been having a problem in which the infusion set keeps turning orangey/red. I've had the pump since July last year and not had this issue until about a month go onwards.

Every time it happens i change all the tubing and cannula and I have changed sites completely (sites are all fine). Changed boxes of infusion set incase it was a dodgy batch but still happened. Pretty confident it's not off clothing.

I assumed it must be blood but the pump careline people don't seem to think it's likely.

Anyone had anything similar? Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG-20170312-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20170312-WA0009.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Obvious question is have you primed the tubing and if so did the discolouration move out of the tubing? If so then you know it's from you. Same as if it's on the outside have you tried removing it with an alcohol swab? What are your blood sugars like, normal or raised?

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for replying. When i ran the insulin through it does seem to be coming out clear from what I can tell. Yeah nothing came off the outside.

Readings seem fine and no one seems to think it's anything that's dangerous.

It's just really bizarre!

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How on earth can they claim anything if they cant even identify why or what it is.

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They are going on what I said on the phone only ... but yeah it's a bit odd! They asked me to send some of the infusion sets to them for analysis but said it's likely going to be a while before its done.

Last edited:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Ive been on the insight for over a year and have never had this happen

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmm interesting. Yeah they said they've not really come across it. If it is something external or insulin interacting with wire or something I would expect others to have had the same issue!

Thanks for letting me know

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh @Queenserene_ , this is interesting - I haven't had this happen, but I'll watch out for discolouration like this! Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Helll- Oh no that's weird. I didn't actually. I contacted the company and sent in the tubing and never heard back. Probably worth a try with them as they may know ?

Roken

Helll- Oh no that's weird. I didn't actually. I contacted the company and sent in the tubing and never heard back. Probably worth a try with them as they may know ?

I tried dumping the insulin I was using, and switching to a newer batch (the previous batch was all still fresh, refrigerated until use, and well within date), and up to now (48 hours), there's no sign of discolouration, so perhaps it's coming from the insulin itself.

K.P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had the same happen to me this morning I have no idea why this has happened I’ve been on the pump 10years and never had this problem before

Attachments

• E05037F7-E139-4CF9-A484-99FE1D009417.jpeg
    E05037F7-E139-4CF9-A484-99FE1D009417.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 409

username3

Hello all,

I have recently been having a problem in which the infusion set keeps turning orangey/red. I've had the pump since July last year and not had this issue until about a month go onwards.

Every time it happens i change all the tubing and cannula and I have changed sites completely (sites are all fine). Changed boxes of infusion set incase it was a dodgy batch but still happened. Pretty confident it's not off clothing.

I assumed it must be blood but the pump careline people don't seem to think it's likely.

Anyone had anything similar? Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you :)

This looks very odd. It could be coming from the interior of the pump. It could also be the result of overheating or some kind of reaction with the plastic. Both of you seem to have the same issue and it doesn't have the appearance of 'blood' from the images. If the discoloring persists with different batches of tubing then you may be able to get a new insulin pump and see if the issue remains.