Statins and adverse symptoms

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

I was prescribed statins based on age and BMI, despite never having had high cholesterol (I have always believed that this was related to cooking food from scratch and avoiding processed food).
Anyway, I had all the side effects, muscle pain, poor sleep, poor concentration, mild nausea etc.
Anecdotally, I have some evidence that statin use in people with low/lowish cholesterol is linked to an increased likelihood of adverse side effects. Just wondered what others experience of this was?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, many, many threads. In my opinion no one should take statins without a fasting lipids blood test to check levels without statins as you may not need them. The guidelines to offer diabetics statins based on a non-evidence based formula I can't support. I'm on statins to help with a minor cardiac problem and poor lipids results and I have no side effects but I only have enough to bring me into the right range. Many suffer bad effects including muscle breakdown and hence the statins should be stopped. My wife suffered serious liver pain within a few days and had to stop. I would insist on a lipids (cholesterol) test which the GPs should do anyway once you are on statins and discuss with the GP why you are on them without a test.

D

Deleted member 371625

Hi. Yes, many, many threads. In my opinion no one should take statins without a fasting lipids blood test to check levels without statins as you may not need them. The guidelines to offer diabetics statins based on a non-evidence based formula I can't support. I'm on statins to help with a minor cardiac problem and poor lipids results and I have no side effects but I only have enough to bring me into the right range. Many suffer bad effects including muscle breakdown and hence the statins should be stopped. My wife suffered serious liver pain within a few days and had to stop. I would insist on a lipids (cholesterol) test which the GPs should do anyway once you are on statins and discuss with the GP why you are on them without a test.
I had a test, it showed low cholesterol levels. Statins prescribed anyway.
You haven't experienced side effects but with high lipids I wouldn't expect you to, it is my theory that side effects are more pronounced in those taking statins with lower cholesterol (ie, who don't need them)

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Medical Treatment is a 2 way process with you and your GP. You don't have to take meds if you don't agree.
I take co-enzymeQ10 with my statin and it has really improved the muscle aches and pains.

senior1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should mention the side-effects to your Dr @midnightrider

You can also report side-effects from drugs using the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme:

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/
I've now tried 3 different statins and everyone has given me problems. I've just stopped taking the latest statin he gave I told him about the side effects I was having diarrhoea pains in my feet and ankles and extreme tiredness but he had no interest and all he said was 'just lets see how you go with them' I took the decision to stop taking them I cant see why I should take tablets that give me problems where non existed before

Last edited: