Hi does anyone feel that type 2 diabetes should be given another name?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@zand. I'm sorry I sometimes get my point across in the wrong way. I would not want to be T2 for love or money with what I've read on the forum relating to strict diets, medication causing more discomfort and all the misunderstanding that goes with being T2. I genuinely feel we are all in this together ( all of us T1,2,3 MODY LADA everyone) .
Maybe a few weeks in our shoes for the general public would change them and there assumptions.
Hopefully we can still be friends.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand. I'm sorry I sometimes get my point across in the wrong way. I would not want to be T2 for love or money with what I've read on the forum relating to strict diets, medication causing more discomfort and all the misunderstanding that goes with being T2. I genuinely feel we are all in this together ( all of us T1,2,3 MODY LADA everyone) .
Maybe a few weeks in our shoes for the general public would change them and there assumptions.
Hopefully we can still be friends.
Likewise - I wouldn't want to be T1 either.
I don't always understand that people aren't 'having a go' at me, because usually they are lol. Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
And I agree we are all in it together and yeh of course we can still be friends. :)

sd29

If many health are professionals don't understand the differences, then the general public don't have a chance!

It seems where health conditions are concerned, umbrella terms are applied to group conditions and illness together to generate a common understanding that they are 'bad'. An example is the term cancer. We all have heard of it, but with all of the different types, stages and sub types, it would be impossible to educate the general public about anything other than a lay understanding.

As type 1, I can guarantee I get asked 'Is that the bad one?' To which I reply that actually, I think all diabetes is bad, but type 2 gets a worse press. Type 1 gets limited press as it is not classified as a preventable lifestyle disease, however wrong the bad press may be.

Inevitably the spectrum of diabetes types is growing as medical science advances, yet paradoxically, the understanding of it seems to be waning! Soon it will be type 1 subtype 3c and type 2 with a cherry on top and diabetica obscure and 'you bought it on yourself you sugar addict syndrome'. (Call me a cynic...)

Renaming will probably only help one thing, and that is change the health statistics - 2017 diabetes diagnosis at record low - zuckerkranken up by 30% and carb intolerance levels soar, say NHS chiefs!