Been diagnosed as type 1

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @martynlovatt :)

Sorry to hear about your Type 1 diagnosis. It's a lot to get your head round at first, but it does get easier.

My advice is to take it slowly and steadily, test lots, keep hypo treatments nearby, push to have carb counting explained to you if you haven't already, and get the Type 1 'bible', Think Like A Pancreas because that's what you have to do.

What insulins are you taking?

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello all
I have just been diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes does anyone have some good advice

We have loads of good advice, but have a look at some of the issues that people are talking about. Then come back back with some questions - we love to help.

Don't forget the great information pages on the front end of this website - I still learn a lot from these!

What insulin regime have you been put on @martynlovatt ?

Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: Juicyj and azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome @martynlovatt

I have just been diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes does anyone have some good advice

Just take one day at a time and keep in close contact with your diabetes care team, the first few weeks/months can be trying but don't don't despair, the book @azure mentions (Think Like a Pancreas) is a great read for anyone who has type 1 diabetes. Good luck.

JackpOb

Hi mate, also just been diagnosed, well 1 month ago. Already things are picking up for me. My sugar levels were constantly around the 18-20 mark for the first week, but now they are usually in range apart from the odd hypo here and there. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @martynlovatt . Welcome to the forum and the T1 gang. There's a hell of a lot for you to learn. Too much to start listing here.
One bit of advice for starters. Learn a little often. I'm 27 yrs in and I'm still finding out things.
Good luck and keep posting.

Reactions: Juicyj

sd29

Rather than condolences, congratulations and welcome! You're now part of a very exclusive club! (Whether you want to be or not lol!)

It's a big shock being diagnosed, and the questions come thick and fast but the best piece of advice I can off is that you acceptbis as part of you, but don't let it define you.

Diabetes is a rollercoaster and you have bigs highs and lows, both I sugar levels and moods - when you feel lonely and overwhelmed, reach out, have a rant, stamp your feet and when you have good news and success, share and inspire.

I wish you the best of luck on this journey and a happy and healthy life ahead.

Reactions: isjoberg

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @martynlovatt and welcome! You've been given lots of good advice above, already, and all I can say right now is well done for joining the forum straightaway, it's one of the best things to do! People on here are very quick to respond and help with any question you may have, so keep on posting! What triggered your diagnosis? I hope you're feeling ok?