Scared and Confused as to how and what to do regarding type 2 Diabetes

Kitty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kitty1959 - I see from you first post that you are on Metformin. Most people take to Metformin, It may cause some people to suffer with an upset stomach and/or diarrhoea, especially if taken on an empty stomach. The good news is that these symptoms usually go away after a few weeks. But, always take the Metformin with food or just after and drink plenty of water.
Have a good read of the information posted above from daisy1 and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone is friendly on here.
Having Blood Glucose Meter is vital in controlling your Diabetes and I see that @Hiitsme (in another posting above) has given you all the relevant information on the most popular meters.
Hi @Liam1955 yes the medication did give me problems to begin with i started the first week taking 1000 mg every am and after the first week i had to take 2000mg am and yes you are right if u dont have food with them then god help u lol until now i never had food until late evenings and yes @hitsme has been very helpful i have ordered a blood glucose meter and am waiting for its arrival and i am reading all i can about diabetes not sure how much is sinking in at the minuet

Reactions: Brunneria

Kitty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kitty1959 - I see from you first post that you are on Metformin. Most people take to Metformin, It may cause some people to suffer with an upset stomach and/or diarrhoea, especially if taken on an empty stomach. The good news is that these symptoms usually go away after a few weeks. But, always take the Metformin with food or just after and drink plenty of water.
Have a good read of the information posted above from daisy1 and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone is friendly on here.
Having Blood Glucose Meter is vital in controlling your Diabetes and I see that @Hiitsme (in another posting above) has given you all the relevant information on the most popular meters.
HI can u explain the difference between blood glucose and HbA1c please and thanks

Reactions: Liam1955

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
HI can u explain the difference between blood glucose and HbA1c please and thanks

Blood glucose is just what it says - the glucose in your blood. An HbA1c is the test we all have that tells us what our average blood glucose has been over the previous 2 to 3 months.

A blood glucose meter is a small gadget we have at home that we can use to measure our current blood glucose level with, like a snapshot of what it is at the time we do it.

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi Kitty, It seems strange to welcome someone onto here, because I've been here less than a week myself. But I was led here by a couple of useful articles, one of which is about HbA1c - you know, what it is actually measuring, why it reflects a sugar value over a period of time etc. Strictly speaking, this and blood glucose are measuring slightly different things, and although, to all intents and purposes they are the same, people tend to use different units for each, so it requires a bit of work to compare the two values.

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Kitty1959 - The good thing about this Forum is when posting a question you don't have long to wait for someone to come along with an answer :). Everyone is so helpful, friendly and supportive on here, so you will get several replies.
Don't "overload" your brain with too much information all at once. Take each day in your stride and at your own pace. It sometimes helps if you have a note pad/exercise book to write things of interest down.
That was a sensible step to purchase a Blood Glucose Meter - you will never regret that decision:).
Let us know on the Forum when it arrives - will You? = Thanks :)

Kitty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kitty1959 - The good thing about this Forum is when posting a question you don't have long to wait for someone to come along with an answer :). Everyone is so helpful, friendly and supportive on here, so you will get several replies.
Don't "overload" your brain with too much information all at once. Take each day in your stride and at your own pace. It sometimes helps if you have a note pad/exercise book to write things of interest down.
That was a sensible step to purchase a Blood Glucose Meter - you will never regret that decision:).
Let us know on the Forum when it arrives - will You? = Thanks :)
Hi @Liam1955 got my meter about an hour ago and i did test it out first reading was 9.1 and thats high i know have you or anyone had a problem with everything you eat leaving a really sweet taste in your mouth its as iff ive had a big spoon off suger and i dont add suger to anything at all and havent done for years will that be the medication or the diabetes its driving me nuts to be honest

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Kitty1959 - That was quick in getting your meter :).
Now, before testing you must remember to wash your hands otherwise your result could be contaminated.
What we suggest you do: Get a exercise book/note pad and write down the food contents of each meal, test before you eat and then test 2 hours after eating and record all this information. You will then be able to see which foods raise your Blood Sugars and avoid them and those that don't. And if in doubt about a certain food? Test before - eat - then test 2 hours later and record it.:) Remember to always wash your hands:).
Could be the medication leaving a "sweet after taste"? I find Metformin leaves a metallic taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there. Your story looks a bit mine. I could have been diagnosed with a prediabetes condition or a full running diabetes years before my diagnosis in 2015. Nobody told me about the risks of diabetes or what kind of sensible diet one has to follow, neither got a Hba1C.
Nobody told me to use a BG meter - I bought one and I buy my strips.

About the advice of Liam1955 - always wash your hands with plain soap, like Aleppo Soap or Marseille Soap if possible and hot water and then dry your hands. Don't use disinfectants or alcohol.
I've found that the metformin bad taste for me wasn't due the metfomin itself but by the pill fillers. Try to change manufacturer!

Reactions: Liam1955