Morning Highs AFTER waking....

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI,
I'm currently having issues with high BG's... whilst testing and monitoring to see what's going on (also trying out the libre system) I notice that my sugars are rising when I wake up... I'm on glargine and have recently swapped to splitting the dose I used to take 20 units at night, recently moved to 15 units at night and 5 more when I get up....this seems to have helped a little with elevated BG's during the day but hasent helped with the rapid increase when I wake up.... example, last night I went to bed on 7.6 and had 14g carb.... I woke up on 7.4 but even before I managed to get breakfast it was 9.5.... I've also nearly doubled by novorapid at breakfast (currently 1 unit to 5g) but BG's still went to 12.5 post breakfast...increase is only 3 for the meal but obviously starting high.... does anyone think this can be resolved with my basal? as I'm trying to get this sorted before I mess with bolus...
I#ve heard a lot of people have moved from Lantus (Glargine) to either levemir or treshiba..... any ideas or thoughts?

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tanks for the rapid reply...!! I've heard od=f the DP etc... but never a waking rise...!I cant believe I'm only noticing this now! the consequence is almost staying high all day or chasing it... problem I have is at the moment (more testing needed) it looks like novorapid is lasting 5-6 hours.... and is more effective as the day goes on... 1 in 5g morning.... 1 in 7 lunch and 1 in 9 at dinner... so if I take a couple of units when I get up..I need to just deduct from the actual breakfast bolus? cos that takes me to my next issue which is that the results so far also show that the peak after breakfast is also extremely rapid and high, 1 boiled egg and toast can throw it up by 8 units within a short time ....but does come back down hours later so its almost like the novorapid takes ages to work... but I guess its still battling the waking rise !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, there are two things in the morning - DP and the Waking Rise. I have both.

Breakfast is the time I'm least sensitive to insulin. So to deal with this, I bolus more in advance eg with Humalog I can get away with bolusing 5 or 10 minutes before my evening meal, but at breakfast I bolus 30 mins or more in advance. That reduces my spike a huge amount.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My glucose starts to rise pretty much as soon as I get out of bed. I normally have 1 unit as soon as I get up (after checking blood sugar) and then have another dose to cover breakfast when I eat, which can be 15 to 20 minutes later... I think I'd probably need that 1 unit even if I didn't eat breakfast at all...

Reactions: dazwalshe

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sounds like something to give a try too... I have started trying to bolus earlier in the morning... I could go from 15 mins to 30... worth a shot...but was trying to only "mess" with one jab at a time...! I moved 25% of my basal from night to morning to try to prevent a possible bounce during the night....nurses wanted to rule that out as a cause... if it is truly a waking rise, I could perhaps put by basal back to one dose at night.....thx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Move your bolus forward gradually @dazwalshe I moved mine 5 minutes earlier at a time. You have to find the sweet spot (so to speak : D )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sounds like something to give a try too... I have started trying to bolus earlier in the morning... I could go from 15 mins to 30... worth a shot

I would do it in 5 min increments rather than go from 15 to 30 mins straight off.

Much like @azure & @staffsmatt I get a rise in bg soon after waking, I just bolus in bed when the alarm goes off which gives the insulin time to work before eating breakfast, typically it's 20 mins before food.

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers... I will give it a go in the morning.... 20 mins before eating... think then i'll attach my next libre sensor and see whats going for the next few days :)