Type 2 Breakfast timing?

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Only diagnosed on Friday been really good on low carbs ( and my meds )thought I would have a piece of whole meal toast ... an hour later I paid heavily shaking and bad head back BG went up to 14 - quite shocked

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Only diagnosed on Friday been really good on low carbs ( and my meds )thought I would have a piece of whole meal toast ... an hour later I paid heavily shaking and bad head back BG went up to 14 - quite shocked

It is a shock when we first start testing and see what our usual foods can do to us, isn't it! It looks like wholemeal bread will be off your menu for a while. :arghh:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have cream in coffee but we use evaporated full cream tinned milk! which makes a delish cuppa! I used to have a banana when i got up and well before breakfast but they are too high carb aren't they?
Some people can eat banana's my T2 husband has one every day after his main meal

Reactions: ickihun and Debzz_

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have cream in coffee but we use evaporated full cream tinned milk! which makes a delish cuppa! I used to have a banana when i got up and well before breakfast but they are too high carb aren't they?
Not that I have it now but I agree evaporated milk is much nicer than cream in coffee and on fruit

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day folks, I was just wondering how many of you have your breakfast as soon as you get up in the morning?! or do you have something to eat say 2 hours after you are up? like myself! thing is I often get up with my highest bg number of the day and it rises as the morning goes on. should I have something to eat straight away on rising and take my meds, then have a breakfast meal little later? thing is hubby walks dog early morning and then we both have breakfast around 9am. I have never felt like breakfast first thing, just a cup of coffee. what do you all do?
I have a cup of tea first then breakfast about half an hour later then I take my blood pressure tablets. If I test first thing my BG levels are usually in the 6/7's and nothing I do changes that and it has always been pretty consistent but I don't worry about it that is obviously the level my body feels is best before I start my normal day

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
100mls of evaporated milk might seem alot but I don't drink half that through a day! I thought it was essential to have breakfast.....most important meal of the day?
I have light evaporated milk too in my coffee thankfully doesn't affect by BG ! I tried cream but it's a bit sickly and bananas seem fine too - I've always enjoyed breakfast bacon and eggs always used to be special on a weekend so I guess that's now a bonus ha ha

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have light evaporated milk too in my coffee thankfully doesn't affect by BG ! I tried cream but it's a bit sickly and bananas seem fine too - I've always enjoyed breakfast bacon and eggs always used to be special on a weekend so I guess that's now a bonus ha ha

The "full" English (bacon, egg, sausage, tomato, mushrooms) has always been a favourite in our house, but previously eaten with guilt because it was supposed to be a heart attack on a plate. Now we can eat it without the guilt and enjoy it all the more. :)

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't eat breakfast, just a mug of coffee,then have something to eat at lunchtime
I do that too 2 cups (up to now) problem is the caffeine seems to set me up for high spikes during the day even if the coffee and milk on it's own don't really affect my b.s..

Reactions: majnoon

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How can I lower blood glucose in morning I just don't feel like eating but by 11 it can be 10-11mmol I can't tollerat dairy or gluten???

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
How can I lower blood glucose in morning I just don't feel like eating but by 11 it can be 10-11mmol I can't tollerat dairy or gluten???
I think most of would say you must eat....are you Low carbing or LCHF eating? (hate the word diet) ? even a piece of cheese or some nuts or piece of ham, in the morning. I have problems with high bg in mornings, I can be 6/7 at bedtime and get up with 9/10. I think I am going to have to try eating a low carb snack before bed, so could you, we could compare notes!

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb high fat but am trying to get over old school notions of at =heart disease my night bloods are between 10 - 17

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Low carb high fat but am trying to get over old school notions of at =heart disease my night bloods are between 10 - 17
10-17 ouch that is quite high, that is odd occasion now for me( after Chinese takeaway is super high) what time do you eat your evening meal? maybe try having it earlier and have a pre bedtime snack. you say you are gluten intolerant, have you looked at the forum section on gluten free threads. My son is a coeliac so I know how difficult it can be even though he is grown up. He has been told he is on the borderline T2 so double issue.
Alot of trial and error with LCHF so please don't give up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@xtessa1x Blimey, those are high numbers. How low carb are you exactly?

What sort of levels do you see before meals, bedtime, and post meal?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I wasn't hungry in the mornings but having seen my BG do similar to yours I try and have something like scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or bacon, egg and mushrooms just to try and stop the rise in its tracks - not perfected it by any means but I will.

Lots of people swear by avocado - not something I can face first thing - I'd rather eat some form of breakfast if I'm not hungry and then eat lunch if and when I get hungry later if it keeps those readings down

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting levels dropped as I lowered the rise in BG after meals. If I can keep the irse to about 2 whole numbers then week by week my numbers go down even though I am eating about the same amount.

Reactions: Ultramum

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@xtessa1x Blimey, those are high numbers. How low carb are you exactly?

What sort of levels do you see before meals, bedtime, and post meal?
Morning range between 8.9 and As high as 20 occasionally......Typical lunch time between 7 and 10 ......Dinner same bedtime vary Wednesday night 16.... and been told my DN not to do after meal blood

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't a clue why it posted it that many times sorry

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning range between 8.9 and As high as 20 occasionally......Typical lunch time between 7 and 10 ......Dinner same bedtime vary Wednesday night 16.... and been told my DN not to do after meal blood

As the NICE guidelines quote ideal BG levels before and after meals I'm not sure how your DN expects you to know if you are heading in the right direction if you don't test after meals ...

I'm new to the LCHF way of eating so I have taken readings as follows:

FBG
Before breakfast
2 hrs after breakfast
Before lunch
2 hrs after lunch
Before dinner
2 hrs after dinner
Before bed

These showed me that my levels before to after meals don't actually rise more than about 1.5 - my diabetes is high as my liver is on mega production line glucose making overnight and I start the day encumbered by a high reading (But it's going down!)

I keep a note of what I am eating - how it breaks down into fat, protein and carbs and by looking at the results I can see what makes the biggest difference when I eat it.

It IS a bit of a pain at first but you soon start to get an idea of how your body gets on with many common foods. Then you can rule them out if it goes high and find the culprit. Yesterday I made lamb curry using a tin of vegetable curry which appeared to have reasonable carb numbers. Quite a bit of root veg. My numbers went up from 6.5 before to 9.6 which is a lot higher jump than I usually get - I'd eaten the lamb and the cauli rice before so knew the tinned veg was the culprit.

Sorry to be long winded but hope that it helps

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all need to find what's right for our body, I'm up at 5 but couldn't stand any food at that time, I leave for work at 6 eat at 8 full fat greek yoghurt from Aldi and a (1) strawberry, I can start the day at anything between 5.5 to 6.8, I don't eat before going to bed ( liver block?) but by lunch time I'm pretty stable mid to high fives. Sometimes I'll fast for the morning just black coffee.
What works for me wouldn't work for others and vice versa. As has been said we need to test to find what particular foods spike our readings and adjust our eating habit accordingly. It's a life long learning curve.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @xtessa1x

It is essential you test after meals otherwise you are wasting your time testing. You need to know which foods are causing these high levels and you need to keep a food diary including portion sizes to help with this. Test before and again 2 hours after first bite. Look at the difference and try to keep it as low as possible. Under 1.5mmol/l is ideal, and under 2mmol/l is OK but not perfect.

Can you give us some idea of what you typically eat in a day? Maybe we can spot something that may help you get those numbers down