Hello, another new member here!

mike63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I am newbie here, although I been a insulin controlled diabetic for the past 13 years, am attending a 3 day carbs course over 3 weeks at my local hospital, would recommend it to everyone it's very helpful, last week (my 2nd day) we had a reps from Accu-Chek, they handed out new meters the "Accu-Chek Aviva Expert" blood glucose meter and they showed us how to put our information in the meter, in the box was a book "Carbs & Calorie Counter" it's a very good book in full colour, the new meter ask you how many carbs you had and it tells you how much insulin to take.
The thing is you can only connect to you computer by using infrared, I would like to use the infrared connection to transfer my results to my computer but I need the Accu-Chek Aviva usb Connect Meter and Accu-Chek don't do it anymore.
Can anyone help me please with one of these meters and the software please.
Kind Regards Mike

Reactions: Liam1955

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @mike63 ,

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @mike63 and Welcome to the Forum :).

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi Mike,

The nurses at my local hospital gave me a load of Accucheck stuff too. Mainly this IR meter. I used to be able to get the test strips for this on prescription also.

I too wanted to connect to my PC, so I started investigating and found that my meter could talk via IR. I called Accucheck's helpline and they wanted me to pay for the cable and for some management software. They were happy enough to sell these things to me - £15 for the cable, £10 for the software, IIRC - I held back at that point because I naively expected this stuff to be free. I naively expected them to help me manage things.

My only other experience with IR has been a Polar Sports watch, 20-odd years ago. The quality of the IR connection was rubbish, although hopefully the technology has improved over the years.

If it helps any, I use a Beurer GL-50, which has a USB connector built-in. They do management software and it's both free and pretty functional. I got my meter for about £20, new on eBay. The downside is that my GP won't fund the strips - they cost me just over £20 for 50. But I found that it is all swings and roundabouts - if you want the functionality, you need to pay for it somewhere along the line. Strips, cables, whatever. Incidentally, the latest Beurer offering will use their management software and will connect to your smartphone using Bluetooth. This seems far more "leading edge", although because I've already got connectivity through USB, I haven't tried it. I tend to use my computer as a computer, and my phone as a phone! - although it's handy to have my blood results on my phone, for when I go and see the nurse or the consultant.

Last edited: