Latest 'MOT'

viv1969

So I had an 'in depth' visit today with my Dr and the D-Nurse in my practice, and I have to admit that I left feeling more than a little bit smug.

New stats (Dec 09 stats in brackets)
HBA1C: 6.1 (8.7)
Total Cholesterol 3.9 (6.4)
LDL: 1.6 (3.1)
BP: 110/70 (135/85)
Weight lost: 3st 6lbs

Both the Dr and the DN were, to say the least, very happy with the results, and were happily patting themselves on the back over the success of treatment, and I get on pretty well with them both so decided to be completely honest with them. I told them that these results came despite the fact that I have NEVER taken the Statin prescribed for me and I have decreased my Metformin by 50% (to 1000mg daily. Needless to say that they were not impressed at either of those things, and wanted to know how my levels (and weight) are dropping so dramatically. So I told them....I ignore the current medical advice regarding the diabetic diet and I have drastically reduced my intake of complex carbohydrates, and I now eat my meals from a smaller plate. Simple. Yes I still 'cheat with the occasional chinese takeaway / potatoes / etc., but I have simply changed the way I eat, and the way I look at food.

I waited for them to go ballistic, and instead my Dr has asked me to come away and write down for him exactly the way I have changed things. What I do eat and don't eat (on a day-to-day basis), what I drink, if I smoke ( I do, very occassionally), how I excercise (walking miles and cycling - a real bike not an exercise bike...totaly different experiences) and how often I test (I'm lucky to be prescribed 50 strips per month as a head start).

So I have 2 conclusions:
1 - I am thrilled that my care team are interested enough to have me explain in depth to them how I have taken charge of my own Diabetes and taken steps to contol it, and
2 - I have received some absolutely PRICELESS information / advice from this website and them members here (which I made clear to them too.)

Sorry to have gone on for so long, but thanks to everyone of you, and forgive my smugness for a good day! :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi viv,

You have every reason to be smug. Well done :!: :!:

Attachments

• congratulations.jpg
    congratulations.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,222

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well done :) What a compliment to be asked to write down your methods, presumably for your GP or DN to give to other patients :)

PickledPepper

Well done!

I have my next "MOT" in 3 months, but your story is inspirational.

To be honest, given my 'death defying' figures last time, I'd say the only way is....err......down

<boom! boom!>

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Great figures - Well done indeed. I ended up on no meds and a complete change of diet thanks to my enlightened GP. I'm currently still on only 1 Metformin (was on 2000mg daily) and am still getting the best readings ever.
My next blood check is 30 June (which I am actually looking forward to) with another 6 weeks later and I have only to increase my Metformin if the BG rises again. I'll be seeing the doc 2 weeks after the second HbA1c for the full MOT.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very well done you!!! - you deserve those results as it shows you have worked hard - FANTASTIC!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Viv!!! :D

Nigel

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Great results Viv!!
Just goes to show,diabetic docs could learn a thing or two if they actually listened to their diabetic patients.
Keep up the good work :D
Jus

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations Viv, you have every right to feel good about yourself :D

Cowboyjim

Well done! Your willpower is admirable and an example to all. Bet those NHS types were gritting their teeth... they are as they say stuck between the rock and a hard place... a tricky area to be in.
Maybe once you have given them the gen on how you did it you could share it here on this forum? 8)

viv1969

Oh wow, thank you everyone for your great replies...I'm still on a bit of a high.
I'm definitely going to compile a little dossier for the Dr regarding the changed I have made and how they have worked for me, and one I've done it I'll happily post on here too.

Kay...I can highly recommend getting a bike. It's one of the best thing's I've ever done. I used to use an exercise bike, but it's just not the same...all you're using is yoour legs. One a real bike it's (of course) the legs, but also the back and abs for balance, and the uses of all these muscles varies greatly because of course, roads go up and down! I love cycling, and I'm lucky enough to live close enough to both open countryside and coastal paths to be able to take advantage of both.

Thanks again everyone.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Very well done Viv. :D

As you say, the information on here is absolutely priceless! 8) Spread the word people :!: :idea:

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
I'm a bit late in my congratulations but those are really good results, long may it continue and you reap the rewards of all your effort. :D

All the best.

Richard.