New to Tresiba

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Took first injection of Tresiba last night - 9 units (was on Detemir 5 + 5.5) so starting conservatively. Went to bed on 5.7 with handful of nuts. Woke on 6.1. Looking at the Freestyle graph the lowest reading during the night looks about 4.5.
As Tresiba is supposed to last up to 40 hours when injecting another 9 tonight won't they overlap and push the BG down further? Or have I got the way it works wrong?

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ChrisM28 those glucose results are great. I switched to tresiba in January and only issue I had was mild hypos each morning for a few days as I injected each evening. So I switched to morning doses. No idea why that helps, but it seems that a morning dose helps other diabetics on this forum too. I find tresiba excellent for me. I am aware it is ultra long lasting and doesn't peak but a daily injection works fine and allows some flexibility with timing. But I've never had an issue, even when switching from lantus, just a case of testing and testing.

Reactions: ChrisM28

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is called steady-state vs stacking, this review can help you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AZ18UhUhUvb1NveTZ2QVoyaG8/view?usp=sharing

Yes tomorrow you will have more Tresiba working in the 24hrs but Detemir should have worn off completely.
Ask your diabetologist whether reduce Tresiba a little more tonight. I had the same problem when I switched from levemir on the first 2 days (so I started 80% of the total dose; I know it is weird because Levemir half-life is very short... nevertheless!) but then I had to go back 1:1.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, because Tresiba is longer lasting than levemir, it takes longer to see the results of any changes - about 3 days. So it is important to allow time to see the results of any changes you make.

Hopefully you will get on well with tresiba, I too switched to it from levemir and it has made such a huge difference for me, my levels are much steadier now.

Reactions: ChrisM28

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ChrisM28 Good luck!

Don't be too disheartened if it takes a few days to stabilise. It took me about a month to get it sorted, but it is worth it in the end.