general question - skiing?

Jemmym1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
my daughter goes skiing this weekend with school does anyone have any tips or advice for her and how to handle her diabetes whilst she's there? I am worrying a bit now as I wont be there with her to make sure she's looking after herself :sorry: I know she will but I've read somewhere that the cold weather can affect her blood sugars

Jemmym1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely watch out for hypos. I'd recommend that she and a companion carry glucose tablets. She may need to reduce her insulin and/or eat extra too, depending on when she skiis.

I also suggest you speak to her DSN as they may have further advice.

Jemmym1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have bought her a 3 pack of glucose tablets so hopefully she has plenty but if need be I will get her some sweets, the other question I have is where will she put her insulin and other bits whilst on the slopes? My husband suggested putting it all in a glasses case and keep it on her

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have bought her a 3 pack of glucose tablets so hopefully she has plenty but if need be I will get her some sweets, the other question I have is where will she put her insulin and other bits whilst on the slopes? My husband suggested putting it all in a glasses case and keep it on her

Does she use pens? I have a pump so can't offer any advice about that sadly.

If you don't get many replies here, I can move your thread to the general Type 1 section if you like.

Edited to,add that I took a lot of glucose tablets when I went away (holiday not skiing) I also recommend taking a large number of test strips. You'd be surprised how many you can get through with a change of routine, activity and food.

Jemmym1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yes she does use pens and if you can move my thread that would be brilliant :)

Jemmym1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have ordered some extra strips just in case as I have put 100 away for the trip but like you said its just in case

Reactions: azure

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jemmym1 - I'm just tagging @Juicyj in here, as she's T1, but also a skier. I'm not sure if she's around a the moment though.

The only thing I'd add would be for your daughter to keep her meter warm, as the batteries tend to go flat in very cold temperatures. Having it in an inside pocket or hanging on a lanyard, inside her jacket should be fine. An outside pocket might not be so good.

Young people can be incredibly sensible when the responsibility is with them. When Mum's around, it's much easier to be blase, I have found. I hope your daughter has a great time on her holiday.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jemmym1 - just about to fly out to Morzine for a few days :)

Firstly she will need to keep her meter under her thermals next to her skin, they are prone to giving out error messages if they get too cold. I take jelly babies for hypo treatment as they can be kept in the pocket and easy to treat.

I always start the day with porridge/bread for carbs to ensure I stay above 7 mmol/l before I head out with a break for hot chocolate mid morning to top up if necessary. I tend to find that in the cold I burn glucose a little quicker, so try to test every 2 hours at the ski lifts. I also find it's harder to recognise a hypo due to the altitude/cold so regular stops are essential. Everyone I ski with understands and we are never in a rush, she shouldn't feel that this should be an obstruction to enjoying her skiing, it does mean being extra aware and making sure teacher/friends are looking after her as support is vital in a group. I bumped into a German type 1 last holiday, there are quite a few of us out there, as long as her group are on board with this all she should have a great time and no problems :)

Reactions: noblehead and azure

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously make sure the people on the trip know about her diabetes. I used to not tell people about mine early in the day, and it would have been better had I not kept it a secret.

Edited by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, not being T1, I can't be specific, but I do know when skiing I was always ravenous at meal times, after all the fresh air and exercise, so she may find herself eating quite a bit more, so I'm guessing she'll just have to be mindful her portions may be bigger than she's used to.

Being non-diabetic last I skiied, it was always rather fabulous to have Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte or other such delicacy quite guilt free.

Cashers12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went skiing for the first time in January. For the first 2 days I found it tough. Falling over so much meant my body was working hard so I was burning through sugar. Those first couple of days she just needs to keep up her carb intake especially. I had mars bars and glucose tablets in my pockets. After I got the hang of it more and wasn't falling so much I found I didn't burn through carbs anywhere near as quick. I am on treshiba long acting insulin and reduced that by 50% and with my fast acting went from a 1:10 ratio to a 1:15 to help me out for the whole trip.
Definitely keep the meter on an inside pocket. They really don't like the cold.
Kids pick up skiing so much quicker than adults so I'm sure she'll have very little problems. Good luck!!