Tresiba problems

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Tresiba pens? I've had so many where the mechanism breaks down after about one third of the insulin has been used. I feel angry about this, because although I can get replacement ones on prescription, this must be a huge cost to the NHS (I know Tresiba is very expensive), and also increases the manufacturer's profit from a fault occurring.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi alexmtaylor who is the maker of tresiba pens?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alexmtaylor I'm fairly certain that tresiba also comes in cartridge form, although I could be wrong, so could you ask to be changed onto them, as a short term solution?

I've just checked, and it does.

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formula...long-acting-insulins/insulin-degludec/tresiba

Personally, I've never had a problem with the FlexTouch pens, stupid and wasteful as they are (why my DSN is obsessed with them I will never know, I'm on the KwikPen thing for Humalog as well). Definitely fill out the Yellow Card Form, as if enough people report it it is more likely to get sorted in the long run.

Reactions: alexmtaylor

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alexmtaylor I'm fairly certain that tresiba also comes in cartridge form, although I could be wrong, so could you ask to be changed onto them, as a short term solution?

I've just checked, and it does.

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formula...long-acting-insulins/insulin-degludec/tresiba

Personally, I've never had a problem with the FlexTouch pens, stupid and wasteful as they are (why my DSN is obsessed with them I will never know, I'm on the KwikPen thing for Humalog as well). Definitely fill out the Yellow Card Form, as if enough people report it it is more likely to get sorted in the long run.

The cartridges are a good idea; far less wasteful too; thank you! I've reported it to Yellow Card so hopefully something will happen. Interesting that you have had no problems with the Flex Touch; I wonder what I am doing wrong?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alexmtaylor I don't think it's anything you are doing wrong - I may well be imagining things, but I'm sure I've seen another thread fairly recently with someone saying they were having problems with the Flex Touch pens. It could just be a bad batch, or I don't know whether or not they have multiple manufacturing sites - it seems likely, so it may be there is a problem at one of those sites. If they get enough complaints, the MHRA will investigate, and they are much better placed to get answers than we are! I really agree with you about waste, these disposable ones are so stupid, and infinitely more fragile if you are of the accident prone persuasion (raises hand guiltily).

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can switch to Novopen Echo (up to 30 u per shot) or a Novepen 4. I find them a little less bulky.

MrVulcan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Tresiba for over a year now and I have not had any issues. Since I only use it once daily in the morning I rarely carry it with me. It stays on my night stand, unless I think weather will prevent me from coming home from work or something similar.

I know the NovoLog pen is somewhat different as it is 1 unit instead of 2 units per click, and I have been using the NovoLog disposable pen for about 15 years and never had any issue even once, and I have more stuff in my pockets than most women have in there purses.

That said, unless you have been very unlucky, you want your pen to be reliable. It is one thing that you can have it replaced, another that you may not be able to get the insulin you need, especially if traveling (BTW: I always carry at least one more pen than I expect to need of both Tresiba and Novolog when I travel, especially in case I lose one....)! So even though I have had no bad experiences, I would love to hear what experiences other may have had.