Who has actually had a complication?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
or ask away? Not sure what you're referring to, unless I'm being very blonde...

nicky noo noo

Dislikes
ignorance,dishonesty,cruelty to animals and children. MY BLOOD SUGAR READINGS!!!!!! lol
ive had dka twice(nearly died) and lost feeling in 3 fingers for four days,been diabetic 4 nearly 9 years and last Hba1c was 13 that was couple yrs ago,scared go bk,but no i must,goin make appointment after work on monday to see diabetic nurse.....

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
That's cheered me up a bit, surprisingly! I've just found out I've got early signs of retinopathy, after being diagnosed T2 9 months ago, but it sounds like I have a fighting chance of warding it off if I continue to keep my BG under control. :D
According to my diabetic nurse, it's always a downward spiral, so it's good to hear some success stories!

jeffrey1964

Dislikes
Medication, Diabetes and associated health problems, Hospital food
I have had diabetes for 20 years now, been on inslin for 19 yrs. I have noticed lots of changes in which diabetes is cared for,, unfortunately my levels have been very eratic over the years. Whilst i was in Holland i developed a foot ulcer too my left foot, which led too Amputation.I recently returned too the uk(October 09) and developed more complications with my left leg.I was admitted too Hospital just before Christmas and was fitted with a stent in my main artery which unfortunately only lasted 6 days, i have now had above knee amputation. I also was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease and would like too ask members if this is due too having diabetes?

weefredd

I've had diabetes from I was 2 have had it 23 years and getting the start of complications now retinopathy in both eyes one needing laser and neuropathy starting in my feet :( I've never had an HBA1c over 8% you think things will never happen to you as you've never been way out of control, I was told I have had more than 20years with no complications and that seemed to be an achievement to the Reg I saw at the clinic!

brendan1985

hi
got type 1 in 2000 , am 24 now and have been drinking, clubbing, playing football, eating chocolate and all the rest of it the same as anyone else through my diabetic decade :roll:

hba1c usually around 7 whole time. to be honest im only starting to take note now and looking after myself. i was never in denial but just wanted to have fun and diabetes has never held me back besides a few dangerous hypos after alcohol and my immune system does seem to be worse now as it takes more time for bruises or scars etc to heal !

u will learn in your own time how to take care of it in ur own way

:wink: brendan

I have been type 1 for 35 years, due to negligence when I had gestational diabetes - twice. Unfortunately, I do have quite a few complications, neuropathy, retinopathy, heart disease, some kidney damage. However, I am sure that I am not 'usual'. I won't go into detail but I was undiagnosed throughout two, full term pregnancies and subsequently lost both babies and nearly lost my life. The thing is not to worry yourself too much about complications as this will overtake your life and life is for getting on with. Years ago we didn't have the wherewithall to test our blood at home and get immediate results, we didn't have the means of insulin delivery we have now, pen and pump. Diabetes was almost an 'unknown' and 'unmentioned' disease. People I knew had heard of 'sugar diabetes' but didn't know what it was or how you 'caught' it!! People are becoming more educated now and hopefully research is advancing the treatments we now have. Who knows, one day there may be a cure!!!! Until then, you must do your best and live your life to the full instead of worrying about something that may not happen.

blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diabetic for 50 years. Diagnosed March 8, 1960 and still alive.
Complications: developed retinopathy 30 yrs ago. No sight in one eye, tunnel vision in other. Many lazor treatments and 3 vetrectomies. Eyes have remained stable since with workable vision in one eye.
Kidneys: pre-dialysis stage 4 kidney disease. started about 10 years ago. Better since I had stents put in 3 months ago. Has delayed onset of dialysis hopefully for a year or two. Get checked every 2 months.
Heart: 3 heart attacks. Heart disease started 5 years ago and had stents put in. Triple bypass was looked into but surgeon decided it was too risky.
Have all my limbs and no problems there. Can walk easily. I am studying for an MA currently and play competetive bridge. I have never had children. I developed diabetes when I was 4. Unfortunately because I have been a visually impaired diabetic all my adult life, I was never able to gain fulltime employment in spite of my level of education.
I am on levimeer and novorapid both twice a day morning and dinner time. Hb1c is about 7 with slight variations above and below.

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi Blinddate,
Wow! You are amazing!! I cant believe how upbeat you sound, I will never moan about feeling simply poorly again!!
How do you stay so upbeat with everything you have been through at such a young age? :D

blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Life could be worse. I have always been upbeat and it helps to be that way. Things do get me down like my heart attacks and the kidney disease but I could be minus arms, legs, or toes. Do try your best to not let it get you down :)