Diabetes Type 1 and Diets/Healthy lifestyle

Georgia4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do a lot of walking, is is so hard to predict how much to take, because an hours walk may be longer and be out 2 hours( go walking with my partner). I was up Beacon Hill yesterday afternoon, took less insulin, everything was fine. Got back and tested again, 3.4, so I only had 3 dolly mixtures, then before dinner 9.0 !! It can be so frustrating, always planning everything ahead and then a low:rolleyes: :banghead:
Thank you so much! Yeah it is SO hard I honestly think we all need to realise how great we are dealing with this **** everyday haha! Sometimes you feel like you just can't win and you do everything like you say but still end up high or low.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different. I was advised to reduce my bolus, if dancing after my meal (e.g. eat 6pm, dance 8pm). I found that reducing by 30% at lunch and/or 20% at dinner worked for me. I also had to lower my basal by 2 units, or I'd go hypo the following day.
As I said, everyone is different, so you have to find out what works for you by trial and error.

I used to be a dancer. (True!) Trained at Laine theatre arts..
But these days??
For me. Using Lantus as basal. As it tailed off in profile I was most active.? Front man in a band. (Yeah it gets intense.) I can't eat prior to a gig in the evening so? Lunch no later than 1pm.. Bolus "on board" long gone.... Set up by 8pm, start gig by 9.
That's it on the day of the gig. I find I rarely go low during the evening of a performance, sort of held in a "flight pattern" in the 5s due to the basal tailing off... Even if I end up jacking the basal dose an hour late before bed.? I might also eat something when I get home or to a hotel room post gig. Like yourself, short change my bolus by 20%. & wake with a "fasting" in the late 4s early 5. With a little voddy & D Coke mixer to soften any liver dump...
I just like the idea of "singing for supper." :D

But that's just how I rock & roll!

Last edited: