Pulses and insulin management

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me when they inject if about to eat pulses? I love them, they are good for you, but I have a feeling they will kick into action long after the insulin has :-(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually have pulses with other carbs so I take them into account too. If I was just having pulses by themselves, I would do an extended bolus (I have a pump) but I'd need to experiement to see what worked.

Although pulses are low GI, I personally find some kinds and some cooking methods affect my blood sugar quicker than I'd have imagined.

So my advice would be to experiment and see what works for different pulse meals :)

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually have pulses with other carbs so I take them into account too. If I was just having pulses by themselves, I would do an extended bolus (I have a pump) but I'd need to experiement to see what worked.

Although pulses are low GI, I personally find some kinds and some cooking methods affect my blood sugar quicker than I'd have imagined.

So my advice would be to experiment and see what works for different pulse meals :)
Okay thanks - I'll be testing again in an hour so we'll see what transpires!
I did, however also take some other carbs to try and even the load :)

Reactions: azure