New to T1 and forums..just figured out how to post!

REM73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there
Probably should have introduced myself here too!
Diagnosed T1 in September last year after landing in hospital. My mum had it so although this is a rollercoaster, the landscape feels vaguely familiar.
Enjoying and learning loads from forum threads, so thank you all.
I do have one completely random question - would be interested in responses.
I have a cat who seems to have developed an allergic reaction to something... vet and I haven't figured it out yet, but does seem to correspond with when glucose levels go high. Anyone else, and their mog, had a similar experience? FYI he hits me round the face when I go low. I've yet to decide if this is helpful or not!
Thanks for all the great posts. Have a great week all
R

Reactions: Struma

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum @REM73 . Can't offer any advice regarding your cat, but I have a wife who has done some pretty awful things to me whilst I've been hypo:):):) I think she see's it as an opportunity to get a bit of sadistic satisfaction.:):):)
I'm sure you'll find the forum a great place to visit.

Reactions: REM73

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @REM73 :)

I don't have a cat now but when I did he used to stare at me in a strange way when my BS was low, so, yes, I think animals can be sensitive to blood sugar :)

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@REM73 Hello and welcome.. My cat Oreo would never lick me before I was diagnosed, he always licked my fiancee though.. the odd thing since diagnosis and lowering my glucose levels he now does lick me.. I must have tasted sugary to him before.. cats can't process sugars very well if at all.

REM73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think we have definitely proven that cats should not be used as a diagnostic aid, but have value as a source of amusement! Love a scientific study ;)

Reactions: NinaB73

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this interesting! My cat has VERY purposely woken me in the night, even jumped on my head, scratched my feet and generally paraded around me at night!! He is very persistent and it usually results in my coming round and realising I don't feel so clever and do a test and low and behold.....a little on the low side. I've had my cat since kitten, he is now 11 and has pretty much done it the whole time! Interesting, I think, I have also had dogs and have one right now and they are generally said to be fairly in tune to this sort of thing, but have walked my previous collie and felt I've gone a little bit low....not a dickie bird! "get on with the walk!" Even hypos at home have not incited the slightest reaction from my dogs!!;)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I don't think it is anything to do with an allergy. I think your cat just has taken on board that you have diabetes and is trying to help you.

I grew up with animals and they all reacted to my betes in their own way. When I had cats it tended to be scratching or licking me. Now I have dogs who bite different parts of my body depending on if I am high or low. They can smell the changes in our scent which our bodies give off to alert everyone else that we are Not. Ok.

At this point when my son...I mean dog nips at my ankles I go check my glucose. Animals are way smarter than us in a lot of ways and I'll trust him.