Type 1 Travel New York

LizF_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 36 years, traveling to NY soon. Any tips for long flight? Be lots walking in NY so will be reducing insulin! Can you take snack bars and packets of biscuits into NY if unopened?

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Type 1 for 36 years, traveling to NY soon. Any tips for long flight? Be lots walking in NY so will be reducing insulin! Can you take snack bars and packets of biscuits into NY if unopened?
Hiya, your diabetic clinic can give you a letter advising you are diabetic & need to carry food items. I was in NY 7 years ago & think I just followed my normal routine in their timescales. With all the walking I 1/2'd my bolus ratios. Have a fantastic holiday x

Reactions: DrA

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The member @himtoo travels to the USA, hopefully by tagging him he'll reply to your thread.

LizF_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya, your diabetic clinic can give you a letter advising you are diabetic & need to carry food items. I was in NY 7 years ago & think I just followed my normal routine in their timescales. With all the walking I 1/2'd my bolus ratios. Have a fantastic holiday x
Hiya, I have a letter but doesn't mention anything about food. Will speak to them, thank you. That was what I was going to go, normal routine in their time and test lots!

Reactions: himtoo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need a letter to take packaged items like biscuits and snacks to the USA. I've been traveling there several times a year over the past few years and this has never been an issue.

Reactions: AM1874

LizF_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You don't need a letter to take packaged items like biscuits and snacks to the USA. I've been traveling there several times a year over the past few years and this has never been an issue.
Great, thank you. Def going reduce insulin as will be walking all day! And test loads. On the libre and it's amazing

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @LizF_F
i am in The USA right now -- i always take digestives and fruit pastilles in my carry on luggage with no issues

i am using a libre too and it is brilliant !!!

have a great holiday !!

LizF_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @LizF_F
i am in The USA right now -- i always take digestives and fruit pastilles in my carry on luggage with no issues

i am using a libre too and it is brilliant !

have a great holiday !!
Hi, thanks for your reply. I always carry digestives with me too! I will be taking plenty with me on flight together with snack bars, fruit pastilles, and will buy lucozade once through security. I think when I get of plane in NY will have to had lucozade in? Hopefully none will be open but I have to carry these in case. It's also for piece of mind that they are there.
The libre is totally amazing! Been on it 5 months. It will be so good to have when fly and in NY.

I'm 44 and I have been type 1 for 36 years. How long have you been type 1?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not teaching you to suck eggs, but have you also got a letter from your GP outlining the medication that you'll be carrying in your hand luggage?

I've yet been asked to produce mine, but always good practice to have one at hand anyway. I'm sure our friends across the pond will be pretty familiar with diabetic related paraphernalia - but just in case you bump into a jobsworth stickler at security, that letter from your GP will cover your rear:)

Enjoy your holiday by the way! My girlfriend's sister and brother in law are heading out there next week! I've not been since 2011 - loved every minute of it!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi, thanks for your reply. I always carry digestives with me too! I will be taking plenty with me on flight together with snack bars, fruit pastilles, and will buy lucozade once through security. I think when I get of plane in NY will have to had lucozade in? Hopefully none will be open but I have to carry these in case. It's also for piece of mind that they are there.
The libre is totally amazing! Been on it 5 months. It will be so good to have when fly and in NY.

I'm 44 and I have been type 1 for 36 years. How long have you been type 1?
been type 1 for 44 years and have reached the age of 58 :):eek: