Is this the food that is making the World obese?

Hotpepper20000

I think besides what we eat it is also about quantity.
There is easy access to fast high caliorie food. Not just fastfood but super markets full of inexpensive calorie dense snacks.
Now we are encouraged to eat three full meal and two snacks. In no way are we ever suppose to feel hungry.
I have worked with preschoolers for over 20 years. No longer can we go out for even just a couplehours for a walk or playground with out a snack. Instead of waiting a half hour for a meal.
"I'm hungry" is always suppose to be instantly answered with a snack, even though many times it's bordem

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think besides what we eat it is also about quantity.
There is easy access to fast high caliorie food. Not just fastfood but super markets full of inexpensive calorie dense snacks.
Now we are encouraged to eat three full meal and two snacks. In no way are we ever suppose to feel hungry.
I have worked with preschoolers for over 20 years. No longer can we go out for even just a couplehours for a walk or playground with out a snack. Instead of waiting a half hour for a meal.
"I'm hungry" is always suppose to be instantly answered with a snack, even though many times it's bordem

That is very true.
'Never feel hungry' is the new rule nowadays, cupboards are full of snacks, everyone eats as much as they want to, and go back for seconds, even then food is massively over catered, and ends up with the remainder being thrown away.
When I was a kid, I remember a plate of food, then possibly a desert, and that was it.
I didn't have a constant supply of snacks between meals either.
I have to admit, now as I make an effort, I've gone back to that way of eating.
Yes, at times I can still feel hungry after a meal, I can feel hungry between meals, but it won't kill me to feel it.
If anything, it improves the experience of eating later.

linkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've found since my diagnosis in January, that there are fats and there are fats

Good things - cold pressed rape seed, cold pressed olive less so, butter, fatty fish and almond butter - definitely almond butter!!!!

Bad things - spreadable butter, anything with the word "palm" in it, soy oils, sunflower, anything used in processed food really - if it is in there it's a cheap oil

I don;t think I use any more oil than I did before, I just use more of different oils and have cut out anything processed.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The problem I'm having at the moment is how do you walk away from a gorgeous cake marked down to a quarter of the price at the end of the day if you going low carb or on a starvation diet.

S

serenity648

The problem I'm having at the moment is how do you walk away from a gorgeous cake marked down to a quarter of the price at the end of the day if you going low carb or on a starvation diet.
I look at my fingers tips, or closed my eyes for a few moments, and remember why I am low carbing - good luck, sometimes the cravings are hard.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That was a problem for me initially. In one of the stores I shop, cookies, cupcakes, and cakes are located next to the specialty cheeses and deli case. I could smell it, and it overwhelmed me.

I recalled a story an anger management trainer shared with us perhaps 30 years ago. He'd met a woman who was trying to lose weight. Every time she was confronted with a sugary food, she stated in her mind, "poison, poison, poison". I did the same. While that may not work for everyone, it worked for me.

That said, I do enjoy the occasional treat. Every Friday, I have dinner with my friends at a local health food store and allow myself to eat one freshly baked, organic Paleo muffin that's made with almond flour instead of traditional grains after dinner and I thoroughly enjoy it. My friends often joke, "looks like you're going to eat the paper too." :)

I also enjoy having a slice of citrus or a few berries, fresh or frozen, following lunch and dinner. Breakfast is followed by black tea, lunch by green tea. If I'm having strong "cravings". I have a couple of pats of butter which I find delicious.

It's quite the process switching to a whole foods diet that includes healthy fats, proteins, and carbohydrates (in the form of vegetables, sometimes yams or various legumes). But like others here, I enjoy everything I eat. It's just different now. It also helps that I feel healthier. Sugary foods made me sleepy. Eliminating or greatly limiting sugary foods and increasing healthy fats dramatically improved my energy levels.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't use vegetable oil for cooking, I think its the worse thing in our diet, I only cook with animal fat, beef, pork, duck or goose.

Reactions: Winnie53

Hotpepper20000

I don't use vegetable oil for cooking, I think its the worse thing in our diet, I only cook with animal fat, beef, pork, duck or goose.
Our local store sells duck fat. I love roasting my vegetables in it. Mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, fennel, cauliflower. Any combitation. A few spices and Yummm.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local store sells duck fat. I love roasting my vegetables in it. Mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, fennel, cauliflower. Any combitation. A few spices and Yummm.

I noticed recently that our local health food store carries duck fat. I need to try that. :)

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am overweight type2. I had been following low carb high fat diet. I need to loose weight as well as control my diabetes. I have read that you have to eat 5% carbs,20-25% protein , and 70;75% fat. Reading this forum what I understood is if you want to loose weight you should not eat that much fat. I am confused as to what to eat to replace carbs?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@swarnag as oldvatr pointed out, low fat, high healthy carb or low carb, high healthy fat will work, but you'll be hungry most of the time on the low fat diet.

The beauty of the low carb, high healthy fat diet is that you're not hungry most of the time if you do it correctly. I encourage you to go to the Low-carb Diet Forum and start asking questions... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ I also encourage you to take a good look around at Diet Doctor website... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Good luck to you! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my eyes and look at my toes and think boy I'd miss these... and avoid the cake aisle or the bakery.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gotta love genetics. Up until my late 20's, I weighed 100 to 105 pounds and ate more than most of my friends. Had an incredible metabolism. Then I began taking a medication that caused my metabolism to change and I gained a lot of weight. 8 maybe 10 years ago I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks on the South Beach Diet but I was hungry all the time. Never went back to it. Love the low carb lifestyle. Back in ketosis again and the weight is coming off effortlessly again. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to add just one comment about highly processed seed oils.

My first inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) flare started shortly after going to work for a restaurant that served deep fried and grilled foods, made with fresh cod or halibut, filleted and breaded on site, and frozen russet potatos, sliced with skin on.

I loved the food and would have fish and chips or a hamburger and fries 5 days a week for lunch. Within months I was ill with what I would later learn were IBD symptoms, and interestingly, I must have known it was the oil in the fryers because I switched from eating fries to eating a baked potato with butter shortly after that and eventually went back into remission.

Fast forward to today, a month or so ago we went out to dinner at an upscale restaurant known for it's burgers, and I allowed myself to have one serving of sweet potato fries cooked in a designated, gluten free fryer. What followed was a day or two of IBD symptoms.

I am so glad I gave up eating foods fried in these highly refined, easily damaged oils. It and a few other changes put my life on a much healthier course.

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr I'm interested in understanding your personal strategy...

Eliminate processed foods that contain high fructose corn syrup and highly processed seed oils - (corn, soybean, saffola, canola, sunflower, cottonseed, and peanut)?

Eliminate use of highly processed seed oils?

What fats and oils or sources of each do you still use?

If using low carb, reduce carbs enough so ketogenic and burning fat?

Do you think fructose from a limited amount of fruit and berries is okay?

My family have done and are doing LCHF. Food is making us fat. Carbs definitely... carbs are the enemy NOT fat..HOWEVER...one must eat the right fat. Ecological olive oil for raw food and Oilseed Rape (Rapeseed) for cooking. We eat Greek yoghurt, some cheeses sometimes. Not every day. The crux is on how often we eat. Monday to Friday we eat one meal a day unless someone has a social lunch with colleagues. I believe intermittent fasting is simply eating normally, before all this 'eat small meals six times a day' rubbish came along. Also, people drink too much alcohol and forget those calories...and drink diet drinks which make you hungry. Loose all of that and your body gets back its own rhythm.

At weekends we eat two meals. We dint eat between meals except
At weekends..one day. On Monday all of us look forward to fasting and have had enough of food. We enjoy NOT eating. We also enjoy
drinking tea, coffee and water..and that carries us. Dr Mosley...Dr Jason Fung...and Diet Doctor are what we follow. I didn't want to include the link incase I was thought to be advertising. I'm not affiliated with anyone.

For me, this is how we used to eat. Eat when you're REALLY hungry. Not at the first thought if food. It all seems so natural now.
All seems so much more in control. Iv'e lost loads of weight and my Type 2 is getting better. Carbs are rubbish. Eat LESS...eat LESS OFTEN...eat only UNPROCESSED FOODS. Fresh vegetable and berries. Fruit should be eaten only as a treat and berries in small amounts. Fructose in fruit..with the fruit and fibre is ok in small amounts but fruit is sugar so keep it down. You get your 'five a day' from vegetables and vegetable are more valuable than fruit.
Fruit is natures candy! Eat it as if it were candy..instead of candy...but limited. Never eat anything containing fructose. We all lost loads of weight. Grains..bad..rice..bad...lentil and pulses if you must but in small doses. Same with beans. You will loose weight if you don't eat. It's common sense. That IS the basic law of nature..you have a problem with weight? Don't eat. Intermittent fasting is great fir overweight people unless you are on medications..then it can be done but consult Dr as in how to combine fasting and medication issues safely. Anyone with an eating disorder like anorexia should not fast. You cannot get anorexia by fasting incidentally.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My family have done and are doing LCHF. Food is making us fat. Carbs definitely... carbs are the enemy NOT fat..HOWEVER...one must eat the right fat. Ecological olive oil for raw food and Oilseed Rape (Rapeseed) for cooking. We eat Greek yoghurt, some cheeses sometimes. Not every day. The crux is on how often we eat. Monday to Friday we eat one meal a day unless someone has a social lunch with colleagues. I believe intermittent fasting is simply eating normally, before all this 'eat small meals six times a day' rubbish came along. Also, people drink too much alcohol and forget those calories...and drink diet drinks which make you hungry. Loose all of that and your body gets back its own rhythm.

At weekends we eat two meals. We dint eat between meals except
At weekends..one day. On Monday all of us look forward to fasting and have had enough of food. We enjoy NOT eating. We also enjoy
drinking tea, coffee and water..and that carries us. Dr Mosley...Dr Jason Fung...and Diet Doctor are what we follow. I didn't want to include the link incase I was thought to be advertising. I'm not affiliated with anyone.

For me, this is how we used to eat. Eat when you're REALLY hungry. Not at the first thought if food. It all seems so natural now.
All seems so much more in control. Iv'e lost loads of weight and my Type 2 is getting better. Carbs are rubbish. Eat LESS...eat LESS OFTEN...eat only UNPROCESSED FOODS. Fresh vegetable and berries. Fruit should be eaten only as a treat and berries in small amounts. Fructose in fruit..with the fruit and fibre is ok in small amounts but fruit is sugar so keep it down. You get your 'five a day' from vegetables and vegetable are more valuable than fruit.
Fruit is natures candy! Eat it as if it were candy..instead of candy...but limited. Never eat anything containing fructose. We all lost loads of weight. Grains..bad..rice..bad...lentil and pulses if you must but in small doses. Same with beans. You will loose weight if you don't eat. It's common sense. That IS the basic law of nature..you have a problem with weight? Don't eat. Intermittent fasting is great fir overweight people unless you are on medications..then it can be done but consult Dr as in how to combine fasting and medication issues safely. Anyone with an eating disorder like anorexia should not fast. You cannot get anorexia by fasting incidentally.
Some I agree with, some not. However, if it works for you then good.