Worried -Possible anemia or worse!

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,
Its been a long time since I've posted. I was diagnosed as type 2 with underactive Thyroid in 2008 and have been on Metformin, Levothyroxine ever since. I had my annual Diabetes check-up at the end of the last year which were fine. I also have fibromyalgia and joint hyper mobility syndrome. In January my cousin noticed I was trembling. I thought the cause was a new medication I was taking but I started having shortness breath and joint pain, which I attributed to the really cold January weather. Then I had muscle weakness, more fatigue than usual and confusion. Being stubborn by nature I convinced myself it would stop with the warmer weather. I was wrong and had a several nights of terrible pain in both arms(biceps) so I went to the GP and he wants me to have blood tests for anemia or B12 deficiency. The nearest appointment is the March 28th, but they said to check back to see if there are any cancellations. I'm concerned about other symptoms. Just typing this I'm getting the pain in by biceps and wrists. I don't really have any appetite as food is bland or tastes bad and I get stomach pain when I eat and feel full really fast, even when drinking half a glass of water. Did any of you who have/had anemia have the same symptoms? I'm worried it could be Leukaemia or something as the symptoms are similar.
Thanks,
Kerrie

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,
Its been a long time since I've posted. I was diagnosed as type 2 with underactive Thyroid in 2008 and have been on Metformin, Levothyroxine ever since. I had my annual Diabetes check-up at the end of the last year which were fine. I also have fibromyalgia and joint hyper mobility syndrome. In January my cousin noticed I was trembling. I thought the cause was a new medication I was taking but I started having shortness breath and joint pain, which I attributed to the really cold January weather. Then I had muscle weakness, more fatigue than usual and confusion. Being stubborn by nature I convinced myself it would stop with the warmer weather. I was wrong and had a several nights of terrible pain in both arms(biceps) so I went to the GP and he wants me to have blood tests for anemia or B12 deficiency. The nearest appointment is the March 28th, but they said to check back to see if there are any cancellations. I'm concerned about other symptoms. Just typing this I'm getting the pain in by biceps and wrists. I don't really have any appetite as food is bland or tastes bad and I get stomach pain when I eat and feel full really fast, even when drinking half a glass of water. Did any of you who have/had anemia have the same symptoms? I'm worried it could be Leukaemia or something as the symptoms are similar.
Thanks,
Kerrie

I think it is too difficult to give ideas of any kinds of possible diagnosis when you have such a complex condition at the moment... it really needs a doctor to judge in this situation...
what I do know is that a lack of vitamin D can result in a lack of appetite and so can a deficiency of iron.A deficiency of iron can also lead to shortness of breath by the way.and so can pernicious anemia lack of B12
the trembeling can come from too high level of thyrodea-hormons... a very typical symptom of too high metabolism actually..

well maybe it all is connected or mayby the one result in the others and maybe something totally different is going on... I think in such a situation I would only trust a doctor to say what was wrong...
people loose their appetite for so many reasons... and I guess there could be maybe like a 100.000 different diseasses or conditions giving exactly that symptom... Leukaemia isn´t that a kind of bone-cancer dont think it would make the stomach feel like full all the time... and by the way there is really a very high rate of healing and survival when it comes to leukaemia.. try to relax... maybe it is something that can be solved by just dosing your medicine more precisly.... some times worrying makes small symptoms feel much bigger like when scared in the dark night all sounds sound like blasted into ones ears..

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kerrie, couldn't hurt to ask you pharmacist if either of the medications could be causing these symptoms. Are you eating a restricted diet of any kind? What foods do you typically eat in a weeks time? Also, are you taking any nutritional supplements or herbs?

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kerrie, couldn't hurt to ask you pharmacist if either of the medications could be causing these symptoms. Are you eating a restricted diet of any kind? What foods do you typically eat in a weeks time? Also, are you taking any nutritional supplements or herbs?
I generally eat a gluten free diet that helps with my fibromyalgia, very little bread, pasta and red meat . I eat lots of veg, drink mainly water and have the odd cup of tea. I've been on 4 medications for 9-10 years. Metformin 50mg (1 twice a day), Levothyroxine(125micrograms a day), Tramadol (1-2, twice a day), Paracetamol (1 a day as I need it) . I've never had any problems from taking them except the pain killers not working when I've a bad or exhausting day. I normally sleep 4-6 hrs a night. My mobility is poor as I've been on crutches for nearly 10 years. I have rheumatoid arthritis as well as Tinnitus. I don't take any supplements or vitamins other. I've taken cod liver oil in the past.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's helpful information. You've got a lot going on. Not fun, not at all. I'm so sorry you're going though this. The metformin alone can cause a B12 deficiency. It's good that your doctor is going to check for that. Also good that you're eating gluten free because if you have celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, eating wheat, rye, or barley can cause anemia. Be back in a bit.

Reactions: Brunneria

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an interesting article and blog - (note many articles on hypothyriod in the right column)...
10 Nutrient Deficiencies Every Thyroid Patient Should Have Checked

http://hypothyroidmom.com/10-nutrient-deficiencies-every-thyroid-patient-should-have-checked/

So there are ten nutrients required for your thyroid to get from your brain creating TSH and stimulating your thyroid gland to produce T4 to T3 and then to activate your cellular metabolic rate. The ten nutrients are:

Protein

Magnesium

B-12

Zinc

Iodine

B2

Vitamin C

Selenium

Vitamin D

Vitamin A

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll probably find this interesting @Winnie53 - I was also watching a video by Dr Chris Masterjohn the other day and he was warning about the problems eating millet can cause for the thyroid:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, too much millet, contained in many gluten-free breads and products leads to the development of goiters. I am so glad I eliminated grains from my diet. Thanks Indy51. Also, good to know that Chris Masterjohn is doing shorter presentations now. Yay! :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kerrie, medications can cause side effects when you start them, but they can also deplete nutrients over time resulting in new side effects much later. After I read your posts, I wanted to see what nutrients are depleted by the medications you're taking. I found some information online - (see below) - but not much. This interview with Suzy Cohen, RPh explains the problem and is worth a read... http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2012/6/Drug-Muggers-Can-Slowly-Steal-Life-Out-Of-You/Page-01

I agree with Contralto that it's important to not take any nutritional supplements until you have your lab tests.

A big question I have is whether or not the Tramadol and Paracetamol is depleting any nutrients. I wish I had a good reference for this purpose, but I don't. Need to get a copy of Suzy Cohen's Drug Muggers book. Perhaps a pharmacist could provide that information.

You've got quite a few autoimmune conditions. I do too. For us, getting our vitamin D3 levels into range is really important to manage inflammation. For thyroid conditions, the minerals magnesium, selenium, and zinc - (possibly iron, but you'd need to be tested first because too much iron is problematic) - are important. Additionally, if gluten triggers your immune system to attack healthy tissue, such as your thyroid for example, it's my understanding that any exposure to gluten could trigger additional attacks. A book I like on how to live gluten-free is Dough Nation: A Nurse's Memoir of Celiac Disease from Missed Diagnosis to Food and Health Activism by Nadine Grzeskowiak, RN, BSN, CEN. To learn more, this is my favorite lecture by her - (its quite entertaining too)...

Isabella Wentz, PharmD is a good resource for information about hypothyroid conditions and hashimotos. She has an excellent website. This article by her may be of interest to you... https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/top-9-takeaways-from-2232-people-with-hashimotos/

I would be concerned about the symptoms you're having too. I hope your doctor has a cancellation and can see you before the end of the month. Waiting is the worst. Do let us know what you learn as you get all these new symptoms sorted out. :)

Metformin (Glucophage)
Nutrients Depleted: Folic Acid, Dibencozide, Vitamin B12
Possible Mechanism: Malabsorption of dietary vitamin B12 and possibly folic acid.
Comments and References: The Glucophage package insert recommends obtaining hematological parameters annually and obtaining B12 levels at 2-3 year intervals in patients at increased risk for B12 deficiency. Symptomatic folic acid deficiency is unlikely. Give supplements only if clinical judgment warrants it.32,4490-1,7839,7841,8834,9520-3

Metformin (Glucophage)
Nutrient Depleted: Thiamine (B1)
Possible Mechanism: Theoretically, metformin might reduce thiamine activity.
Comments and References: This might result in more pyruvate entering the Kreb's cycle and being converted to lactic acid. This could contribute to metformin-induced lactic acidosis, but the process has not been substantiated in humans.9536,11466

Thyroid hormones:
Levothyroxine (Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Thyro-Tabs, Unithroid)
Thyroid desiccated (Armour Thyroid)
Liothyronine sodium (Cytomel)
Nutrient Depleted: Calcium
Possible Mechanism: Increased bone turnover may lead to increased urinary calcium losses.
Comments and References: Calcium loss is unlikely to be clinically significant with doses of thyroid hormones used to treat hypothyroidism. Check thyroid function tests to ensure patients are not receiving excessive thyroid hormone doses, which may increase calcium losses.27-9,2684-5,2695,2697-8,2721

http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticr...8-40&cec=0&pm=5&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally eat a gluten free diet that helps with my fibromyalgia, very little bread, pasta and red meat . I eat lots of veg, drink mainly water and have the odd cup of tea. I've been on 4 medications for 9-10 years. Metformin 50mg (1 twice a day), Levothyroxine(125micrograms a day), Tramadol (1-2, twice a day), Paracetamol (1 a day as I need it) . I've never had any problems from taking them except the pain killers not working when I've a bad or exhausting day. I normally sleep 4-6 hrs a night. My mobility is poor as I've been on crutches for nearly 10 years. I have rheumatoid arthritis as well as Tinnitus. I don't take any supplements or vitamins other. I've taken cod liver oil in the past.

metformin ? I guess you mean 500mg x 2 a day ?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just thought I'd say... Tramadol gives me the shakes along with quite a few other interesting side affects which is why I can't take it for my arthritis.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With little red meat you stand the chance of getting anaemia.
My doc advised to have broccoli everyday and spinach in smoothies. I cannot eat leafy veg due to poor digestion but can if its in a smoothie.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Contralto, as a pharmacist, she primarily worked directly with chronically ill patients and uses a funcitonal medicine approach. I attended The Thyroid Secret! she recently hosted, and have spent time on her website. I live near Bastyr University, so that's my world. :)

Reactions: Freema

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take CoQ10 too. As we age, our cells need all the help they can get. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with coq10 or ubiquinol... but think any baseline levels have to be tested before taking any other supplements like calcium, d3, b12, folic, magnesium etc.

Doctors if they know you have a genuine interest in helping yourself naturally will not mind doing these tests...

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@donnellysdogs, agree that D3 and B12 levels should be checked before supplementing, but not sure how magnesium and calcium is measured because I think the body keeps both circulating in the blood at a set level.

My husband has to take a lot of magnesium to manage his atrial fibrillation. Cardiologist says there's no commonly used lab test to accurately determine his levels unless they used a test to determine his magnesium level within the cells.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Odd as I have my magnesium and calcium in my blood checked???