Fat versus calories and carbohydrates

charleneA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Toxic people and situations....
I was diagnosed with type ll on my birthday this year - February 16th. Since that day I started eating LCHF. No calorie counting, but making sure that I ate not more than 10 - 12g of carbs a day. High fat, moderate protein. I've lost 16 lbs. I should also add that I do intermittent fasting.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type ll on my birthday this year - February 16th. Since that day I started eating LCHF. No calorie counting, but making sure that I ate not more than 10 - 12g of carbs a day. High fat, moderate protein. I've lost 16 lbs. I should also add that I do intermittent fasting.
Yay!!! Good for you!! Do you know your macro percentages ? Or how much protein?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the absence of carbs fat is FUEL!!

Great experiment Zand! I would love a day of avocado and egg yolks with mayo or butter!!!

Interesting more food helped you lose. Sometimes I try to drop a few pounds by cutting back a bit but I don't lose. Then when I have fat gorge days the scale goes down. I always chalked it up to a hormone day.
Do you still keep your protein low??
Being a fussy eater, I'm not that keen on protein so I don't generally need to watch protein if I am being careful with carbs. (It's the carbs that make me eat too much protein, protein on its own or with fat is fine for me.)

Since I did that experiment I have been to a naturopath and she suggests no dairy or wheat at all (I thought of you when she said it! :)) She gave me a diet to follow which wasn't really low carb and tbh it didn't suit me as my BGs went up and so did my weight. I am now trying to amalgamate her advice with LCHF which is so hard because I love dairy. Looks like I might need to add avocadoes to my diet. :) But no eggs, I can't stand them. :( I am getting used to goat's cheese (she tested me for this and it's OK) and almond milk.

Sorry that reply is a bit of a jumble, I'm having trouble communicating today. :rolleyes:

charleneA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Toxic people and situations....
Yay!!! Good for you!! Do you know your macro percentages ? Or how much protein?
Thank you, Kristin251 :) I'm afraid not. I just went into a state of shock at my diagnosis and cut those carbs right out of my diet. I can give you an example of what I'll eat in a day: 2 fried eggs and half a packet of bacon for the first meal of the day (midday). Then, by 18:00 I'll have eaten maybe 2 pork chops with 120g of sheddeed white cabbage fried in butter. Real butter, mind you. Hope that helps somehow.

Charlene

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do they make geese fat in France for fois gras production? They feed them grain..

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, Kristin251 :) I'm afraid not. I just went into a state of shock at my diagnosis and cut those carbs right out of my diet. I can give you an example of what I'll eat in a day: 2 fried eggs and half a packet of bacon for the first meal of the day (midday). Then, by 18:00 I'll have eaten maybe 2 pork chops with 120g of sheddeed white cabbage fried in butter. Real butter, mind you. Hope that helps somehow.

Charlene
Can I come round for tea one day?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Being a fussy eater, I'm not that keen on protein so I don't generally need to watch protein if I am being careful with carbs. (It's the carbs that make me eat too much protein, protein on its own or with fat is fine for me.)

Since I did that experiment I have been to a naturopath and she suggests no dairy or wheat at all (I thought of you when she said it! :)) She gave me a diet to follow which wasn't really low carb and tbh it didn't suit me as my BGs went up and so did my weight. I am now trying to amalgamate her advice with LCHF which is so hard because I love dairy. Looks like I might need to add avocadoes to my diet. :) But no eggs, I can't stand them. :( I am getting used to goat's cheese (she tested me for this and it's OK) and almond milk.

Sorry that reply is a bit of a jumble, I'm having trouble communicating today. :rolleyes:
Lol. Carbs make me hungry too. Even only veggies and especially salads. I think they just digest too fast. I LOVE dairy too but after watching a nutritional summit and it was referred to as cow pus it's kind of turned me off lol. I KNOW I gain weight fast with dairy. I also eat I grains, not just wheat.
I don't eat a lot of protein either. 1 oz smoked salmon bf ( used to be turkey but new addiction) with avocado of course, 1.5 lunch and 2.5 dinner. All with avocado and a small amount of veggies.

I vote for of course. Best food ever!!! So many ways to eat it too. Great with basil by the way.

Reactions: zand

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Charlene
I hope that butter is Kerry gold haha!! Best butter ever. Great for you for taking the bull by the horns!!! How have your sugars been? Are you testing at home?

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be the porrrage ( grains) and dairy as well as some of the fruits that would not only stall me but I'd gain. Grains and dairy are huge weight loss stallers / gainers.

Maybe hard boil a bunch of eggs for the week and have for bf? Microwave some decent sausage? I eat chicken sage bf sausage. Very clean ingredients. Clean deli meat? Bf doesn't have to be bf food. Lately I've been on a kick of avocado, celery bits and smoked salmon lately. Usually avocado and turkey but found a very clean low sodium smoked salmon that is so most and not a huge smoke flavor. No carbs. Lots of times they put sugar in smoked food.

You just have a little refining to do but you're on the right track. If weight loss is desired I personally would ditch the porrage and all dairy, much as I love dairy......I don't eat it often and when I do it's in. Dry small quantities. I wonder if you're intolerant to casein, the protein in full fat dairy and that's why your tummy is bothered. Dairy bloats me. Not sure if it's the casein or lactose.

Thank you @Kristin251 and @Bluetit1802 for your advice. 2 things: on 2 consecutive days where I ate eggs rather than porage or yoghurt for breakfast, my BG readings were considerably lower. Also, after my weight being the same for 3 days in a row, it suddenly dropped 0.6lb, then last night (goodness knows why), it dropped 1.4lb! I did feel very lightheaded when I woke up, but had eaten well, so something happened!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. Carbs make me hungry too. Even only veggies and especially salads. I think they just digest too fast. I LOVE dairy too but after watching a nutritional summit and it was referred to as cow pus it's kind of turned me off lol. I KNOW I gain weight fast with dairy. I also eat I grains, not just wheat.
I don't eat a lot of protein either. 1 oz smoked salmon bf ( used to be turkey but new addiction) with avocado of course, 1.5 lunch and 2.5 dinner. All with avocado and a small amount of veggies.

I vote for of course. Best food ever!!! So many ways to eat it too. Great with basil by the way.
thanks for that....cow pus...that helps lots.... you have just helped me break my dairy addiction lol

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you wanted to stick to the porridge then you can experiment with cutting down the amount of oats and add something like flaxmeal, chia seeds, ground nuts (walnuts are good), or quinoa flakes to the mix. The first three you are replacing carbs with fat, the quinoa flakes are lower carb and higher protein.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Kristin251 and @Bluetit1802 for your advice. 2 things: on 2 consecutive days where I ate eggs rather than porage or yoghurt for breakfast, my BG readings were considerably lower. Also, after my weight being the same for 3 days in a row, it suddenly dropped 0.6lb, then last night (goodness knows why), it dropped 1.4lb! I did feel very lightheaded when I woke up, but had eaten well, so something happened!
I meant to say I DONT eat any grains, not just wheat. I'm thinking it's in your grains and dairy as much as carbs. Both known weight stallers. Eggs are great for bf. If you get sick of them avocado with celery is great too. My new fav bf is a titch of smokes salmon and avocado. I love waking up!!!
If you don't mind skipping porridge, why not? Far more flavorful foods that keep bs steadier. Amazing right?
thanks for that....cow pus...that helps lots.... you have just helped me break my dairy addiction lol
Lol. I know. Kinda turned me off too. Then watch the videos on cheese. Yuk. But why does it still taste so good ?

As a last thought, COW PUS. EWWW

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you wanted to stick to the porridge then you can experiment with cutting down the amount of oats and add something like flaxmeal, chia seeds, ground nuts (walnuts are good), or quinoa flakes to the mix. The first three you are replacing carbs with fat, the quinoa flakes are lower carb and higher protein.
Great idea. Thank you.

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I meant to say I DONT eat any grains, not just wheat. I'm thinking it's in your grains and dairy as much as carbs. Both known weight stallers. Eggs are great for bf. If you get sick of them avocado with celery is great too. My new fav bf is a titch of smokes salmon and avocado. I love waking up!!!
If you don't mind skipping porridge, why not? Far more flavorful foods that keep bs steadier. Amazing right?

Lol. I know. Kinda turned me off too. Then watch the videos on cheese. Yuk. But why does it still taste so good ?

As a last thought, COW PUS. EWWW
Thanks. I am still (week 6) finding it hard to replace cereals with anything cooked, and food still seems so rich for my taste. I have a feeling I shall soon be sick of the sight of avocados and eggs! I am determined to persevere though and find a long term diet which works for me and that I enjoy.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont and never have counted calories but have a firm belief that cutting down on the amount of food you eat is the way to lose weight.

I also find as others have said that when I eat more fat I put on weight, I love cream but if I eat it every day I start to put on the pounds, the same with a fried breakfast, yes I like them and they fill me up but if I eat one every day even for a couple of days I see the pounds creep on.

I have said here often that you dont need to eat extra fat to be eat a lchf diet just by cutting the percentage of carbs you automatically increases the percentage of fat, I dont eat more of anything, just fewer carbs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont and never have counted calories but have a firm belief that cutting down on the amount of food you eat is the way to lose weight.

I also find as others have said that when I eat more fat I put on weight, I love cream but if I eat it every day I start to put on the pounds, the same with a fried breakfast, yes I like them and they fill me up but if I eat one every day even for a couple of days I see the pounds creep on.

I have said here often that you dont need to eat extra fat to be eat a lchf diet just by cutting the percentage of carbs you automatically increases the percentage of fat, I dont eat more of anything, just fewer carbs.

For years I did count calories then I found I had to eat more of the right food to lose weight, not less food altogether. That has meant reducing carbs a lot and increasing fat a bit.

Sid and I have been posting opposing opinions on these 'carbs' fats and cals' threads for a few years now. However recently I have been thinking that Sid and I may actually be saying the same thing! I ate low fat for years and therefore needed to increase fat. I'm guessing Sid didn't modify his diet at all until he was ill and needed steroids, so his level of fats 'remaining the same' and mine 'increasing' probably equate to the same level of fat. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum