Thinning hair?

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
My year with diabetes type 2 has resulted in a lot of changes, but perhaps the most upsetting ... as a woman ... is my hair falling out in handfuls during last Summer ( which is when I noticed it first.
Has anyone else had this happen, and do you think it IS the actual diabetes itself, or could it possibly be linked to taking Metformin?
I ask that ... because, since my three tablets per day have reduced to just one breakfast tablet now (in stages) I don't see handfuls coming out under the tap while rinsing it as before ... but it is so thin now that I have to wear a hat to keep my ears warm.
My hair kept them warm previously. My once thick fringe now exposes my eyebrows through it :(
Does anyone know if this will improve/regrow?
Your comments would be most welcome x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there has been others than you asking that question... unfortunately... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/can-metformin-cause-hair-loss.68263/

there could maybe also be a problem if one is low carbing and do not get adequate levels of the different kinds of vitamin B´s , many people do get their vitamin B´s from grains /bread.. and oat and cereals added vitamins..

my own hair has thinned with age also my eyebrows sadly..

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mal37 ,

I spent 3 years in a dance school & once dated a girl with an eating disorder.. Not casting any aspersions.
But there is a link with hair loss in women & this sort of issue..
I really am with the best wish in the world attempting to be sensitive. But if this adds up? Seek help down this avenue....

All the best!

Reactions: Freema

Hotpepper20000

It does seem to be a side effect of Metformin for some women.
When I went low carb as well my hair thinned out. I noticed now about six months in I have short hair on top.
It would seem as my body adjusted my hair is now growing out again.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My hair thinned and broke when bs was high. After starting insulin it grew back fast

Low thyroid is a suspect. Thyroid disorders can go with diabetes. One autoimmune diseas and then anonther...

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1, diagnosed 3 weeks ago and HbA1c of 125 at that time. Now I'm on insulin I've noticed that my hair is coming out much easier during showering, brushing...lying down...I leave a trail. It's quite thick anyway but nothing noticeable on me. The hairdresser was concerned when she was combing it that there was a lot of hair in her comb. She's never needed to continually dehair the comb with me before. I've also had some really dry flaky skin where I don't usually. I'm just assuming this is happening because my BS were so high and my body is just a bit delayed in showing how unhappy it was before I started getting my BS normalised. I hope it settles down! I can't cope with all the hoovering up!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hair loss and thin outer eyebrows are fairly sure signs of low thyroid.
Hair loss can have several causes, including thigs like an infection a few months earlier. Apart from high blood sugar and low thyroid also anaemia and other deficiencies are known to cause hair loss.

Reactions: streem26

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Thanks for all the replies here.
I hope it does start to grow back, and I shall certainly check on the B vitamins too !

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lost lots of hair after the radioiodine treatment for my hyperthyroid made me hypothyroid. Once I was on replacement thyroxine it was fine.

It might well be worth getting your thyroid function tested, @Mal37 .

:)

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I lost lots of hair after the radioiodine treatment for my hyperthyroid made me hypothyroid. Once I was on replacement thyroxine it was fine.

It might well be worth getting your thyroid function tested, @Mal37 .

:)
Yes, it was tested six months ago and came back normal Snapsy, but thank you for thinking along those lines xx

Reactions: Snapsy

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, Mal37!
First of all, I feel your pain! My hair is also very thin, I did Olapex treatment, it's really work.
Also let me give you some beauty tips :
Go to vintage style
nylon hair scarves are your best friend. The ones currently being sold on the PUG website are actually the best I have gotten, and I have bought quite a few. This is the style that is great for either rainy days, or on second day hair if you are trying to not wash it as often, since most of the hair is pinned away and hidden. There are some great tutorials on youtube like
), and you can practice until you get the style you like.
Teasing is also your friend. I never used to tease my hair before because a) i thought it was useless and b) I wasn't really sure how to do it, but done properly, it can definitely give your hair a boost, and is really helpful for creating a high front roll (with the bangs).

Last edited:

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
My hair has never been quite the same since I developed an underactive thyroid and went on steroids for my autoimmune disease. I have found that a certain shampoo with caffeine in it helps (doesn't have to be the ladies one - the gents one works just as well plus its cheaper). I take a supplement for hair, skin and nails as often you can be short of key amino acids (one of the best sources are eggs). Also I take Guggulsterones, which are known to stimulate the thyroid, and also help cholesterol levels. I went through a period a while back when coming down off a high level of steroids and the bathroom plug was full every morning so I know where you are coming from. Very distressing None of these are a quick fix but my hairdresser has noticed that my hair thickness has vastly improved.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine has definitely thinned since I started low carb. I don't take metformin or anything else for diabetes so I am assuming it is change of diet and perhaps lack of B vitamins as I used to eat a lot of 'healthy' grain. Nine months in I think it is starting to improve as there is far less hair in the shower plug but of course it will take time to thicken! My thyroid was also checked and OK. Maybe it takes the body time to adjust to a completely different diet. I have just had my Vit D levels checked and they are really good which I speculate could be because of all the fat?

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
would recommend you hair oil concoction( my sister started roughly 2 months ago and noticed difference after 3 weeks):
~3 tablespoon-Extra virgin coconut oil
~1 tablespoon-black castor oil
~3/4 tablespoon -emu oil
0.5 tablespoon-whole onion seed (Also called nigella sativa. Bought cheaply from indian grocery store. But its same as this: http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Ka.../dp/B000JMDHE0)
0.5 tablespoon- whole fenugreek seed (also bought from indina grocery store, but sth like this: http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-M....ords=fenugreek)
As for the actual health of the hair, a diet rich in protein is good. For this, have raw nuts, almonds are particularly good, and protein-rich meats. Also, dietary supplements such as flax seed oil and fish oil are good for skin and hair.
As for actual hairstyle it's best if you leave it short if you want it to look thicker!

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine has definitely thinned since I started low carb. I don't take metformin or anything else for diabetes so I am assuming it is change of diet and perhaps lack of B vitamins as I used to eat a lot of 'healthy' grain. Nine months in I think it is starting to improve as there is far less hair in the shower plug but of course it will take time to thicken! My thyroid was also checked and OK. Maybe it takes the body time to adjust to a completely different diet. I have just had my Vit D levels checked and they are really good which I speculate could be because of all the fat?
Animal protein is a great source of B vitamins.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Obviously all the above comments are from people not in Great Britain as I've never heard of most of these products?