Pizza!

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

I'm having a massive pizza craving at the moment! Only problem is my sugars. I always work out the right amount of insulin to take by working out the carbs but I always end up with my bloods spiking at some point no matter what I do!
Any suggestions apart from not eating pizza!?

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Pizza is fatty so what happens is, you carb count, take insulin but after few hrs once insulin has worked already, the pizza continues to be digested and thus you end with a high sugar. Sometimes it can cause low BG first and then high. The solution is combo bolus on the pump and split insulin into 2 shots on injections. I think the trick is getting the percentages to a science for your own body and that's with practice. I don't eat pizza (i use combo bolus with other meals) someone on another thread here mentioned 60percent at start, 40percent 2/3hrs after. I suggest you look at the other thread going on now re s1 with a high BG after eating pizza, called type1 panic. Good luck!

Reactions: azure

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been making cauliflower pizza when I've had those cravings, but with advice from here I'm going to try the fathead pizza, both can be found googling or on YouTube.

The cauliflower base one works really well all it is, is cauliflower rice, an egg and cheese... With you favourite topping...

One thing though, I made my tomato sauce from canned tomatoes and that spiked my blood sugar level, but they were back to normal three hours later so you may want to use fresh tomatoes making your sauce... But I got my garlic overload :)

Reactions: Ultramum

flaguy321

Hey all,

I'm having a massive pizza craving at the moment! Only problem is my sugars. I always work out the right amount of insulin to take by working out the carbs but I always end up with my bloods spiking at some point no matter what I do!

Try pizza burgers. Take ground turkey and drain any fat by running it over water. Add pizza sauce, Peppers, oninon and mix well. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake on a half of a whole wheat bun for 15-20 min at 350 degrees. Enjoy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: Gaz-M

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh pizza my nemesis!

I didn't like that cauliflower pizza much it just tasted strange and the consistency was all off. I may have done something wrong or used a less than ideal recipe.

My wife made a different one using almond flower and that one was actually not too bad at all, though again consistency was a little off but it didn't spike me like even the super thin crust regular ones do.

I use it as a treat these days and go with something else for the most part, which is a pity as I too do like a nice pizza.

/A

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

Try making fat head pizza - it's amazing - I posted pics and lots of great suggestions for variations in the thread below

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fathead-pizza-omg.116948/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all,

I eat normal pizza but keep my portion moderate. I'm lucky I have a pump so can do an extended bolus now but when I was on MDI I used to split my bolus and that worked fine.

Just keep testing and experiment carefully. Once you find what works for you - both carb-wise and bolus-wise - you can repeat that the next time you have pizza.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually just eat the toppings. Or put the toppings in a bowl and heat. I'm grain free though. But I think the flavors all in the toppings.

Reactions: genix

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks but I'm gluten AND grain free. All grains. And I'm vlc so chickpeas don't work. I just like the sauce, cheese herbs and protein toppings. I eat it with a spoon, though rarely. Sometimes I just put marinara and cheese on my protein.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks but I'm gluten AND grain free. All grains. And I'm vlc so chickpeas don't work. I just like the sauce, cheese herbs and protein toppings. I eat it with a spoon, though rarely. Sometimes I just put marinara and cheese on my protein.
So you're actually seeking an "insalata caprese" https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/18/nigel-slater-classic-insalata-caprese
Or a "Salsiccia e friarelli" "that is sausage ans specially cooked and seasoned rape leafs) dish.
http://www.misya.info/ricetta/salsiccia-e-friarielli.htm http://www.lacucinaitaliana.it/news/in-primo-piano/5-ricette-con-i-friarielli/

If you're going in a real italian pizzeria/restaurant they could make one for you ,the former is easier to find. I haven't found a translate recipe, put if you happen to come here in Italy in a neapolitan restaurant try 'em.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually what is really popular in the area that I live in is chicken parmo...

It's flattened chicken breasts with pizza sauce topped with cheese and sometimes the other pizza toppings... Trying something like that might just kill your pizza cravings.

The cauliflower pizza... The first one I made was soggy, I hadn't cooked it long enough and it was too thick... The second time was really great, you cook the base first and then put your topping on and cook again... I use way to much garlic do you don't taste the cauli but it's worked and I nearly feel normal eating it :)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all,

Back to the OP's query - I suggest splitting your bolus @linda_b :)

Type 1s can eat pizza with care and attention to boluses.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I am coeliac and I keep away from pizza's also the GF ones, but I made a Fathead pizza a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely, my teenager ate it too, delicious.
IMG-20170302-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange, when on injections I never had problems even eating nearly a whole large pizza. However when I moved to a pump suddenly eating pizza got a whole lot more complicated. Wow some of these pizzas and recipes are making my mouth water though.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@genix I fe found that the Italoam cjain Rossoppmodoro jas opemed in UK. Hoping that they haven't modified the recipes for englosh tastes, they make a good wholewheat !arinara, a friarello salad an avocado and rocket salad.

And remember, asking a Cappuccino after 11:30 am os considered rude. Ask a long coffee

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply! I split the bolus in half and that seemed to work really well. There was a slight spike but no where near as bad as what it has been in the past.
I had a dietician appointment on Wednesday and she said pizza is the main food diabetics always ask her about so looks like it's a common problem.

Thanks for all your replies as always! x