Type 2 Adjust Metformin Dose based on meal portions?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bluetit thanks for explaining how to do food testing with BG level, hopefully I will see patterns emerging:)

As I mentioned I did not follow the low carb program, this is because no need to lose weight for me, my objectives are
1. make my BG level normal without taking metformin, but with right diet and excise;
2. reverse my diabetes of 20 years;

I will do my testing and hopefully find out what food can cause high BG, then see if I need to cut down daily carb to under 100g. BTW, in doing so should I not change my metformin dose in the beginning?

Thanks again for your great help.

I don't need to lose weight either but I only eat around 30g carbs a day and my blood sugars are normal without meds. It is perfectly possible to do this as long as you increase your fats accordingly. (The lower your carbs the more fats you need. Fats won't make you fat on their own.)

No, you do not need to change your Metformin dose until you have got down to normal levels consistently for a period of time, and then only when the doctor or nurse agrees.

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
I don't need to lose weight either but I only eat around 30g carbs a day and my blood sugars are normal without meds. It is perfectly possible to do this as long as you increase your fats accordingly. (The lower your carbs the more fats you need. Fats won't make you fat on their own.)

No, you do not need to change your Metformin dose until you have got down to normal levels consistently for a period of time, and then only when the doctor or nurse agrees.

Thanks, I have much to learn, just checked I can't eat banana because of high carbs, which I love to eat everyday:(, a mid size banana has about 23g carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I have much to learn, just checked I can't eat banana because of high carbs, which I love to eat everyday:(, a mid size banana has about 23g carbs.

You can test out a banana but you need to test half hourly from eating it as they are very fast release (they turn to glucose almost as soon as they hit your tongue.) Try a few berries with yogurt or cream, or even a small apple.

Reactions: tan800

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp not really following the steps, but I did reduced my carb substantially to 150g-200g/day, cut down by 50%.

I have much to learn from you in reversal of diabetes, but I heard that it is mainly suitable for patients with 10 year or less, so I am not so sure if the low carb program can help me or not, but I am determined to find out.

I am very keen to learn from patients with long history, and how they are practising the low carb program. Thanks

btw, my H1A1c 10 %
Hi, @tan800 . Sorry I have not been able to reply to this post until now.
Just in case it is not clear, I would first of all state that my initial weight loss and regaining control of my blood glucose was due to the Newcastle diet method. I started this some 5 years after being diagnosed T2 diabetes. It was after this as a follow on lifestyle that I learnt about low carb eating regime. I don't think I am a very good role model. I maintain my weight and blood glucose levels rather well, but still remain heavier than is good for me. Not, I believe, due to anything wrong with the low carb way, just that perhaps I eat more than I should as I am not very mobile due to other health conditions.

Another consideration is that the term 'reversed' can be contentious. Some people prefer to use 'controlled' instead. I am not going to get into that discussion here. Whichever term you prefer, it is important to remember that a reversal can also become reversed, just as controlled can become uncontrolled. Therefore we need to find out how foods are affecting blood glucose, and adjust diet accordingly. As others have mentioned, using a meter to test, and keeping accurate records of foods and blood glucose levels, you will soon determine what is ok for you, and what you need to limit or avoid. It can be challenging at first, but soon becomes routine. Seeing good results is encouraging.

I note in your reply to @bluetit you mention you didn't follow the low carb programme because you did not need to lose weight. Although people do use it to successfully lose weight, it is more a blood glucose control programme than a weight loss programme. No need to lose weight with low carb, as you can replace the carb with extra fats, such as nuts, cheese and cream.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Atkins developed his low carb diet to help people who were ill - the weightloss was actually a side effect of their improved metabolism and reduced cardio vascular problems. Eating low carb foods - I try to stick to under 11percent carbs in everything I eat fairly freely, and restrict amounts of foods slightly higher. That seems to keep my blood glucose levels and lipids somewhere close to normal.

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
try to stick to under 11percent carbs in everything I eat fairly freely

Like to know how you stick to under 11% carb in what you eat? In terms of food's nutrition?

Thanks

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
You can test out a banana but you need to test half hourly from eating it as they are very fast release (they turn to glucose almost as soon as they hit your tongue.) Try a few berries with yogurt or cream, or even a small apple.
@Bluetit1802 thanks for your tip! Looks I have to test a lot of food: rice, noodle, potatoes, pizza, banana, apple, .......

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Another consideration is that the term 'reversed' can be contentious. Some people prefer to use 'controlled' instead. I am not going to get into that discussion here. Whichever term you prefer, it is important to remember that a reversal can also become reversed, just as controlled can become uncontrolled. Therefore we need to find out how foods are affecting blood glucose, and adjust diet accordingly. As others have mentioned, using a meter to test, and keeping accurate records of foods and blood glucose levels, you will soon determine what is ok for you, and what you need to limit or avoid. It can be challenging at first, but soon becomes routine. Seeing good results is encouraging.
@Pipp I am grateful for your insights, and fully agree with your points here. I will try my best, first to find out how my foods are affecting BG level, then see how I can practise low cars diet.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I am grateful for your insights, and fully agree with your points here. I will try my best, first to find out how my foods are affecting BG level, then see how I can practise low cars diet.
Well done, @tan800.
Keep reading the information from daisy1, and advice from members. Keep asking questions, and please keep us informed of progress. We like good news.

Greatheart

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to seek your suggestions if it's better to take my daily metformin, 1000mg total, based on how many meals I have per day, also take into account on light/heavy meal, etc.

My recent H1bAc was too high, > 10, so I would like to be very careful on my BG level, and want to make sure to take my metformin in right ways.

Mostly I have two meals per day, so I took 500mg for each meal, then if I have three meals per day, how should I take the 1000mg?

Or if I have a big meal for lunch, should I take 750mg?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

I have not posted in a long time, but I would share my experience with you.

First diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2006, on 2x500mg metformin.

Fast forward...From 2009 to 2011, I was put on metformin 4x500mg metformin, 4x80mg gliclazide and 1 sitagliptin, at the time my blood sugars were very high, despite following the lighter life diet and doing regular exercise, unbeknownst to me at the time I had end stage liver disease, cirrhosis, which causes insulin resistance and problems with metabolism - particularly medication not working properly, lot of other things I won't bore you with.

In 2011 to 2012, I moved jobs, moved GPs, my blood sugars suddenly started to tank, right down to 1.5%, the opposite way to what they had been, finally I thought my diet is working, regular exercise, super fit etc. but struggled to stay awake while driving, barely keeping awake in meetings etc. shaking with what I thought was the low calorie diet of 600 calories per day, my GP kept telling me my blood readings were perfectly normal HBA1C was averaging out from the former high level plus the low level finger readings were normal said my GP at 1.5% (idiot).In the back of my mind I remembered my old GP telling me that ideal was 6.6 not 1.5.

After that job ended I moved again, ended up with the GP surgery who originally diagnosed me with diabetes, probably saved my life, 1.5 is too low, 6.6 is the ideal, diabetic nurse first recommended reducing medication and then only having it when I had meals, so there is definitely some truth to limiting medication with meals, that said, metformin does affect insulin resistance, allowing your insulin to work, the problem with most type 2 diabetics is that they produce too much insulin and they have insulin resistance.

I would definitely suggest getting a second opinion from your GP and diabetic nurse if you are dieting, that said if your bs level is still high like 10 instead of 6.6 then you still need to take your medication. In my opinion, you should also take regular readings to ensure it does not drop too low though.