Surgery and BS

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I had day surgery on my ear on Thursday by General anaesthetic and now my fasting sugars are up to 11 - would this be an obvious correlation - I've been struggling to get B'S down since quitting smoking, we're finally headING down until now.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Injury, infection, pain, stress and medication can all affect levels. Look after your self and hopefully you will recover quickly.

Reactions: ExChocoholic

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had day surgery on my ear on Thursday by General anaesthetic and now my fasting sugars are up to 11 - would this be an obvious correlation - I've been struggling to get B'S down since quitting smoking, we're finally headING down until now.

ExChoc, it takes around 48 hours for your body to rid itself of the anaesthetic alone, never mind dealing with the general trauma of undergoing surgery.

Just keep an eye on it, but, unless you are feeling unwell or have significant pain (in excess of what you might have been advised could happen), then just carry on, and hopefully things will slot back into place.

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Each individual reacts differently to "stressors"....general anaesthetic is a big one in my experience. I had major surgery several months ago and it took a week to really clear the system.
Then the body is going into repair mode (and potentially fighting post op infection). These will all play around with your BG.

The good news, is that providing you are sensible with diet and exercise, all will return to "balance".

It worked for me, so it will work for you.

Good Luck...and be patient ;-)

Reactions: Alison Campbell