Carrnivore

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm a 23 year old girl with a job that pretty much leaves me with no free time. I recently started taking my insulin again after feeling depressed for a very long time and I didn't want to admit I was having a 'burn out'. What I quickly realised was that I was developing something called 'dia-bulimia' which I didn't realise was a thing. For those who don't know, it's when you stop taking your insulin in order to lose weight. What the horrible thing was and I don't recommend any one do this AT ALL, but it was working. It was becoming a serious hazard to my health but at the time, I didn't care. Now I've realised that what I was doing was extremely dangerous and self destructive.
It's now been two months and recently I've been feeling low again because I hate the fact that every day, I can see I'm putting on weight - and fast.
It's the worst feeling in the world and I keep taking my insulin as much as pains me mentally when I put the needle in.

What I'm struggling with is finding the balance between eating and taking my insulin and my job. Has anyone else had this same problem? Does anyone have any advice that can help me get through it?

Carrnivore

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been thinking of trying a low carb diet it but what I've found is if something is low in carbs, it's usually high in fat - unless it's a vegetable. I've always eaten a moderate amount of carbohydrate in each meal as this was drummed into me when I was first diagnosed 10 years ago but recently I've found out that technically I don't actually need any carbs in some meals at all? It's so difficult changing the habit of a life time.

Hassan7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm a 23 year old girl with a job that pretty much leaves me with no free time. I recently started taking my insulin again after feeling depressed for a very long time and I didn't want to admit I was having a 'burn out'. What I quickly realised was that I was developing something called 'dia-bulimia' which I didn't realise was a thing. For those who don't know, it's when you stop taking your insulin in order to lose weight. What the horrible thing was and I don't recommend any one do this AT ALL, but it was working. It was becoming a serious hazard to my health but at the time, I didn't care. Now I've realised that what I was doing was extremely dangerous and self destructive.
It's now been two months and recently I've been feeling low again because I hate the fact that every day, I can see I'm putting on weight - and fast.
It's the worst feeling in the world and I keep taking my insulin as much as pains me mentally when I put the needle in.

What I'm struggling with is finding the balance between eating and taking my insulin and my job. Has anyone else had this same problem? Does anyone have any advice that can help me get through it?
What I will do if I were you,-which is what I usually do-, when I want to go the bathroom at university, I take the pen with me, and inject.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been thinking of trying a low carb diet it but what I've found is if something is low in carbs, it's usually high in fat - unless it's a vegetable. I've always eaten a moderate amount of carbohydrate in each meal as this was drummed into me when I was first diagnosed 10 years ago but recently I've found out that technically I don't actually need any carbs in some meals at all? It's so difficult changing the habit of a life time.

Insulin only makes you put on good weight - that is, allows your body to use the food you eat.

Insulin does not make you fat.

You don't need to avoid carbs or eat a restrictive diet. Just concentrate on eating a normal healthy diet :)

If you're struggling again, you may want to take a look at this section:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/eating-disorders-and-diabetes.77/

A surprising number of people with diabetes have had similar issues, so don't feel bad. Unfortunately, diabetes makes us have to focus on food more than most people do.

Would a schedule help you ? That is, planning out your meals and injectiins so that they fit into your day? Routines might sound boring, but they take some of the thought out of it all.

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What works for me is, stay active by walking every day or something else you enjoy. Even go out dancing on a weekend?
And, not being afraid of fat, at the same time as being aware of the obvious very high carb foods.Not saying do not eat this or that, but pancakes and waffles are hard for me to actually control the intake of.It messes with my brain chemicals. (sounds weird but it does.)So I choose if I can, apple pie with lots of cream instead.Or a croissant and coffee.(And cream?Or go savoury and have cheese and ham) The fat in the cream makes me full in a good and healthy way I find very high refined starch foods do not.And there is nothing nicer than cinnamon and apple:) Very common to have this problem,and in my youth I think I was close too to develop it.You have my best wishes!

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi I'm type 1 and I started to put on a lot of weight so I spoke to my diabetes doctor and she put me on metformin twice a day and I lost weight very well

Raks_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi :) I'm a type 1 diabetic too and i know It is hard trying to find a balance. Firstly, don't be too hard on yourself. This is all about experience and what works for someone else may not work for you. I would suggest trying to incorporate exercise into your life style. Start off slow with maybe walking twice a week and then slowly increase when you feel you are ready to. And when it comes to eating, maybe trying taking your insulin before you eat...that generally helps the blood sugars and try and keep a healthy diet but that does not mean stop treating yourself.