Hypos caused by alcohol

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Recently celebrated my 2nd diabetic anniversary and think after 2 years alcohol free it's about time I was brave enough to enjoy a couple drinks when I go out again.

I've never been a big drinker, so it'd probably just be a couple vodka and diet cokes, and I plan on trying it out at home first, but I'm terrified of having hypos later at night! Does anyone find that even just a couple units causes this for them? What kind of level to you aim to go to bed at after a couple drinks?

Thanks all!

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
Firstly if it's vodka and Diet Coke DO NOT correct. Eat something before bed. Test regularly and expect the hypo the following morning likely until lunchtime.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@becky.ford93 I nibble carbs with my vodka and I've never had a hypo during, after or the next day. If you're concerned, set an alarm to test during the night.

Be careful and you should be fine : )

Reactions: Freema and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @becky.ford93 . First thing I will say is irrespective of your diabetes having just a few drinks when you've not had alcohol for a long time is going to have a big impact on you and how you will feel. Now add in your diabetes and all the ways that can make you feel and it's easy to see how a good night out can go awry.
Not trying to be a killjoy but I am an ex drinker and want you to have fun.
Don't drink to much, check your sugars especially last thing and if anything eat with the aim of waking slightly higher than normal with your sugars.
Granola and Greek yogurt or banana and peanut butter would be my choice before bed. A pint of water as well.
Enjoy your night.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great, thank you. It would literally just be a couple of drinks, I'm 23 and don't think I've ever gotten "drunk" in my life! For now I just want to try having a couple, I was always a lightweight anyway!

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Becky.ford93 hi Becky another idea if you're concerned why not have a drink at home and see if it affects you at least if something wasn't quite right you wouldn't be out and could do something about it hope you have a good time.

RufusW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there
Just joining Forum. We all know, Diabetes is not an exact science so I have learned not to assume because I was fine last time I did 'this or that' that I will be fine next time I do the same. Like you, I am not a big nor regular drinker but do like a glass or 3 with friends from time to time. I now take great care drinking wine as wine ALWAYS plays havoc with my sugars for up to 24 hours following anything more than 2 glasses. I lurch from 1 hypo to another. I always ensure I eat something before bed and keep a banana by the bed as a 'just in case' given the speed with which wine-induced hypos occur with little warning. I also reduce my insulin dose slightly the day following wine consumption. Oddly, cocktails or gin/vodka don't have the same impact). Good luck, Have fun.

Reactions: becky.ford93

LiamC93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Recently celebrated my 2nd diabetic anniversary and think after 2 years alcohol free it's about time I was brave enough to enjoy a couple drinks when I go out again.

I've never been a big drinker, so it'd probably just be a couple vodka and diet cokes, and I plan on trying it out at home first, but I'm terrified of having hypos later at night! Does anyone find that even just a couple units causes this for them? What kind of level to you aim to go to bed at after a couple drinks?

Thanks all!

I used to drink a lot, but ive cut down since diagnosis.. my BG doesn't really change that much.. I try get to no more than 8, but I tend to only have a couple ales.. that does me ahah

Reactions: becky.ford93

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first drink since diagnosis this weekend and had my old favourite disaranno and Diet Coke. I had it with lunch so I could see how it affected me throughout the day. My BG did not really move come the post meal test, and I felt gone throughout the day.

I now feel more confident, but will remain cautious to avoid nighttime hypos and due to nor drinking got a long time.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first drink since diagnosis this weekend and had my old favourite disaranno and Diet Coke. I had it with lunch so I could see how it affected me throughout the day. My BG did not really move come the post meal test, and I felt gone throughout the day.

I now feel more confident, but will remain cautious to avoid nighttime hypos and due to nor drinking got a long time.
That's really good to hear, thank you :) shame I don't like disaranno ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

There seems to be talk that alcohol causes hypos? (& a couple "non movers" regarding the BG?)
What alcohol does (apart from the obvious stimulant masking a possible hypo symptom.) is keep the liver busy, stopping any glycogen dump in the bloodstream..
Of course there are other factors that could involve dropping you low too. Like "boogying" on a dance floor?
So? Something like an over bolus for a meal? Or basal rate too high? Could induce a fast plummeting low due to aformentioned actions of the booze..

For anyone unaffected either way by a couple of "scoops" thus keeping a relative "flatline" with the BS? It just means ya got yer insulin dose spot on....! ;)

Always drink responsibly & keep the meter handy!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Red wine no affect on me either way. That about all I ever drink. Interesting that the actual alcohol/ethanol molecule isn't a carb, fat, or protein in its pure distilled liquid form. I don't think it's converted to one in the body either. It's sort of a mystery.

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red wine doesn't affect me either, and I do enjoy my red wine fairly frequently!