"Feet on Floor" Blood Sugar Raise, advice pls

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I clearly have a huge rise in glucose as soon as I get up and would like to know if / what I can do to reduce it, please.

For example, when I first get up, my glucose level is generally around 6 but, after having cleaned teeth and showered, got back into bedroom, it's risen to around 8.6 or so (Libre scans) Sometimes, it will rise +3 points. It then generally starts to slowly drop once I get downstairs. I then have coffee with cream and some cheese, or ham, for breakfast.

As soon as I do anything slightly active, I notice my glucose level rises too. Having said all this, my last 3 HbA1c (Oct 16, Feb 17, Mar 17) have all been 6% so quite acceptable although I'm striving and hoping to get this even lower.

I appreciate I've clearly got significant insulin resistance, hence higher than ideal glucose levels in the mornings when getting up. Also, I've noted from the graphs that I do get a small rise prior to getting up but have taken this to be normal.

During the night, my glucose levels generally drops to around 4 so that may be the reason for the higher level on waking.

I'm Type 2 and on Metformin 2gm daily, with low(ish) carb higher fat diet. I do have a snack before going to bed and generally glucose levels are around 5.5 or so when I put my light out

I'd be very grateful for any advice as to how I can reduce this 'spike' when getting up every morning.

Many thanks

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
For example, when I first get up, my glucose level is generally around 6 but, after having cleaned teeth and showered, got back into bedroom, it's risen to around 8.6 or so (Libre scans)
Hi, @Energize your HbA1c levels around 6% are good, just wonder why you want to use CGM to monitor BG levels constantly? I thought only insulin dependent patients (T1/T2) would benefit from CGM. I understand there are many reasons BG can spike such as stress, etc., I am not aware of any clinical studies on occasional BG spike and impacts published.

I will keep watching this thread to learn more, and best wishes to you.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed that my libre always has a slightly higher result just after showering (must be the rise in temp), but then reduces shortly after.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree with @Indy51 . A small packet of pork scratchings? Or immediately put kettle on and have a double cream coffee? Then do your cleaning/dressing routine.
Just remember the liver is dumping more due to too much carbs and protein.

In severe insulin resistance your body (mainly your liver) doesn't recognise circulating insulin. So dumping occurs even thou there is sufficient insulin circulating already.

The cause is too much carbs and protein converting into glucose. More than YOUR body is using up!
Gentle regular exercise helps too.

If your like me exercise is very difficult you have to rely on diet and liver blocks.

Just remember what goes in the liver must come out -eventually.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same problem. I have never had an overnight liver dump. I have always, even at the beginning, had a morning FBG the same as my bedtime one, and these are now low 5s. Since starting to use the Libre it became obvious I was having a dump within minutes of leaving my bed that took me up to the 6s and stayed up until lunch time, going higher to 7 if I did anything like hoovering or changing bedding. This happened no matter whether I ate a boiled egg, just had a cup of tea, a yogurt, or had nothing.

I have now stopped this completely, and all it took was an immediate coffee with cream within a few minutes of getting up. Get up, visit bathroom, test, downstairs, coffee. Unwashed and un-dressed, and I stay this way for about an hour before showers etc. I sit at my computer! I have changed my household arrangements so I now do my jobs in the afternoon. I am now seeing my lowest ever pre-lunch levels that are sometimes high 4s. Almost a miracle! I appreciate I can do this because I am retired and don't have to rush off anywhere.

Reactions: Chook and Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Energize your HbA1c levels around 6% are good, just wonder why you want to use CGM to monitor BG levels constantly? I thought only insulin dependent patients (T1/T2) would benefit from CGM.

Quite a number of us Type 2s use the Libre. I use it and am diet only with normal blood sugars. It is a fantastic learning tool. Finger pricking only tells you where you are at the time of testing, but what were you an hour before that, what were you when you were asleep? Without the Libre I would never have known my levels rose significantly after taking my FBG and styed up, and would never have known the significant impact something as mundane and simple as housework has.

Sorry @Energize for de-railing.

Reactions: Ultramum

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you snack on?
Hi
I generally have some cheese around 11.30pm. (Yes, I tend to go to bed late, mainly as I don't sleep well) I usually get up around 8 - 8.30am
Thanks

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not keep a jar of nuts by the bed and eat a handful before getting out of bed?
Hi Indy
I've tried this with nuts, and with BabyBell cheese, but it doesn't make any difference
Besides, it's a pain having to then re-calculate when is best to take thyroxine. which I usually take straight after putting feet on floor, so it's just less than about an hour before having a coffee (with cream)

I've also tried coming downstairs to have a coffee and low carb snack, before shower, but it still happens

Also, when I was taking Glipizide, I would take my morning tablet straight after putting feet on floor (thyroxine having to wait till later) but that didn't work either :(

Thanks

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Energize your HbA1c levels around 6% are good, just wonder why you want to use CGM to monitor BG levels constantly? I thought only insulin dependent patients (T1/T2) would benefit from CGM. I understand there are many reasons BG can spike such as stress, etc., I am not aware of any clinical studies on occasional BG spike and impacts published.

I will keep watching this thread to learn more, and best wishes to you.
Hi tan

Yes, I can appreciate your thoughts. I agree, the Libre can helpful to those on insulin but not exclusively so ;)

The Libre has given me tremedous motivation to stick to the better food choices, and portions.

For a couple of years, when first diagnosed, I just couldn't 'diet'. I have a very sweet tooth, love bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, just like most do. I've previously tried Weight Watchers and Slimming World but just couldn't cope with it and would just give up and eat a load of high carb/sweet stuff, feeling I'd failed yet again. Ignoring the diabetes was my answer for a while until prescribed Glipizide (couldn't tolerate Gliclazide) and then started putting on even more weight, which I didn't want

So, then I discovered the Libre and decided to give it a try. With this, I got my HbA1c down from 7.5% to 6%, with low carb so off the Glipizide and only taking Metformin now, still with HbA1c at 6% purely because I would see the graph on the Libre and it would be 'a shame to spoil it' :)

I am now trying to go a week, or 2 weeks, without the Libre, with the intention of only using Libre every now and again, just to watch what's happening. I don't like to wait 12 months between blood tests to discover I've gone off the rails ;) Intermittant finger pricking is useful, of course, but nothing like seeing the graph on the Libre.

For me, it's been money well spent, I have to say.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've noticed that my libre always has a slightly higher result just after showering (must be the rise in temp), but then reduces shortly after.
Yes, the Libre is so good at showing the peaks and the troughs, eh? Some we just can't do anything about and some we can. This morning rise really bugs me!

I agree it could be the heat but I'm blowed if I'm going to have a cold shower just to check this ;) Unfortunately, it then takes till lunchtime before it is in a reasonable range again, in spite of having coffee with cream and some cheese as soon as I get downstairs.

On the days when it has been lower for some reason, my glucose levels have been better for the rest of the day

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Indy51 . A small packet of pork scratchings? Or immediately put kettle on and have a double cream coffee? Then do your cleaning/dressing routine.
Just remember the liver is dumping more due to too much carbs and protein.

In severe insulin resistance your body (mainly your liver) doesn't recognise circulating insulin. So dumping occurs even thou there is sufficient insulin circulating already.

The cause is too much carbs and protein converting into glucose. More than YOUR body is using up!
Gentle regular exercise helps too.

If your like me exercise is very difficult you have to rely on diet and liver blocks.

Just remember what goes in the liver must come out -eventually.
Hi Ickihun
Yes, unfortunately, exercise is an issue with me too, for a variety of reasons, including pain but also severe lack of energy which may, or may not, be due to B12 deficiency. I'm 'working' on my GP regarding this and currently waiting on further blood test results, hoping they will convince him to try B12 injections. In the meantime, I try to walk around the block, or a bit further, as and when able. I do feel this helps the resistance but it's so difficult.

The only carbs I eat come from vegetables (above ground), salad foods, meats/cheese and cream, which I'm trying to reduce portions still further. I haven't counted how many carbs a day but I can't see that it can be too many, to be honest.

I don't think I could cope with pork scratchings, tbh ;) Thanks, though ;)

Reactions: ickihun

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the same problem. I have never had an overnight liver dump. I have always, even at the beginning, had a morning FBG the same as my bedtime one, and these are now low 5s. Since starting to use the Libre it became obvious I was having a dump within minutes of leaving my bed that took me up to the 6s and stayed up until lunch time, going higher to 7 if I did anything like hoovering or changing bedding. This happened no matter whether I ate a boiled egg, just had a cup of tea, a yogurt, or had nothing.

I have now stopped this completely, and all it took was an immediate coffee with cream within a few minutes of getting up. Get up, visit bathroom, test, downstairs, coffee. Unwashed and un-dressed, and I stay this way for about an hour before showers etc. I sit at my computer! I have changed my household arrangements so I now do my jobs in the afternoon. I am now seeing my lowest ever pre-lunch levels that are sometimes high 4s. Almost a miracle! I appreciate I can do this because I am retired and don't have to rush off anywhere.
Well done, Bluetit, that's brilliant that you have beaten this rise.

I've tried coming down first, having a coffee and cream, with something low carb to eat, and sometimes it helps but mostly doesn't :( I can spike over 9 after getting up sometimes, hence I'd like to crack this. I will try your method again, though. It does make sense.

Unfortunately, if I left house work bits till later I'd not be able to get them done!!! By afternoon, I've had it and often just crash out for a couple of hours! Still, friends know that housework isn't my favourite activity so lack of housework isn't generally a big issue :)

Yes, like you, Bluetit, I'm retired but I am often out and about a lot, when I can, as I live alone and so like to see friends and other people around etc. ;)

Reactions: tan800

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite a number of us Type 2s use the Libre. I use it and am diet only with normal blood sugars. It is a fantastic learning tool. Finger pricking only tells you where you are at the time of testing, but what were you an hour before that, what were you when you were asleep? Without the Libre I would never have known my levels rose significantly after taking my FBG and styed up, and would never have known the significant impact something as mundane and simple as housework has.

Sorry @Energize for de-railing.
No need to apologise, Bluetit. I'm pleased you are also finding the Libre so useful, in spite of having good control. For me, it's given me the control and motivation I desperately needed.

I agree, it's only by using the Libre that I can see that any activity seems to push my levels up. When I've been able to walk a little and more frequently, I have to admit to seeing my levels not rise so much on activity during the day and, perhaps, less in the mornings.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks every one for all the suggestions

I think it's clear I need to exercise a bit more so, with the better weather due at some stage, maybe I will be able to manage more, and more frequently. It will be interesting to see how this does affect my levels, eh?

I'll also try coming downstairs straight after a visit to the loo, and have a coffee with cream while sitting at PC as usual (and as @Bluetit1802 does) and will see it it helps

I'm just hoping there is an easy and magic cure for my exhaustion when bloods come back ;) That would make such a difference ...

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
I am now trying to go a week, or 2 weeks, without the Libre, with the intention of only using Libre every now and again, just to watch what's happening. I don't like to wait 12 months between blood tests to discover I've gone off the rails ;) Intermittant finger pricking is useful, of course, but nothing like seeing the graph on the Libre.

Thanks for sharing your insight, indeed a graph on the Libre is definitely very helpful, especially during any transition periods when ones need to do some adjustments in terms of diet, or drug, etc., instantly you can get feedback from the graphs. Hopefully CGM devices can be available at more affordable price so that more people can take the advantages.

Wonder if you are aware of blogs, web sites or books on the use of CGM for T2 non-insulin patients ?

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello,
How are you getting on with this? I am having the same trouble.

From my libre I am 5ish all night, and then within minutes of getting up I shoot up to mid 8s and stay there most of the day. I too am eating lchf and only taking metformin (in the morning with breakfast). I am pretty active, I live on a smallholding.

I'm finding that even if I eat cheese before bed, and have coffee with cream immediately on waking my blood go up significantly. Have tried eating nuts with coffee too.