Issues with my employer

pattifaye

As others have said, your company is required to make reasonable adjustments such as providing a clean and safe environment for injections. Re work attire. Do you have to wear dresses? Separate trousers or skirts will make using abdomen much easier and can also be a reasonable adjustment that you can make.
Injecting through any clothing is not recommended. Todays needles are so fine and short you run the risk of bending or breaking the needle and also not injecting at the correct level. Going through clothing will also strip the needle of it's lubricant making the injection more uncomfortable

Beckstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I totally inject through my tights. Found myself on a train in a dress and thought 'hmm, didn't think this one through' but it was fine.
I'm recently diagnosed but I've taken the stance that my testing and injecting is not something I want to hide away. Yes I'll be discreet but I'm not going to a dirty loo where there are no surfaces to put stuff on either.
Please please don't inject through clothing! I went on a DAFNE course recently and found out injecting through clothing can cause nasty abscesses in which fibres can get injected into your skin

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please please don't inject through clothing! I went on a DAFNE course recently and found out injecting through clothing can cause nasty abscesses in which fibres can get injected into your skin
I'd love to see any sort of evidence to support this claim.

I'd also love to see any sort of evidence to reflect how it's much different than reusing the same needle tip more than once (which many people choose to do), or reusing the same lancet and/or not washing your hands before every blood test.

I found this article to be very well-written and unbiased:
http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/injecting-insulin-through-clothing-is-it-safe-gasp-or-not#2

This is obviously not the perfect way to administer an injection, but the chances of negative consequences are extremely low when exercising normal precaution. In my opinion, there are circumstance (such as this one) where the practical benefits vastly outweigh the potential consequences.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 2 and have been on insulin and tablets for roughly 20yrs back now on levemir morning and night time and novorapid with my meals ..... I've tried going down the 'reasonable adjustment' route since starting the levemir and novorapid plus linagliptin and have been told by my manager on Friday that we don't have any jobs in here that you can walk off and do my testing and maybe take on a snack if my levels are low .....when you're at work you're fit for work .....I've tried the occupational health and Human resources department before the Friday meeting not much cop there now I'm having to go through the union just to get a bit of clarification ......ps I'm not an office worker I work in a major car manufacturers that have won the employer of choice award no clean area for injection/testing where I am and I have to where overalls

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Its not always as straight forward as you imply There can be some challenges in work i have always injected at my desk as put simply why shouldn't I but i have had complaints from others to the senior manager (I'm a manager myself) to which a conversation was had as to i should go elsewhere being who i am the response was not pleasant to my manager and resulted in an apology to me but you have to appreciate this can be a difficult situation for some and there is still a lot of ignorance out there.

However i do agree you shouldn't feel the need to go and hide as a rule I've found being open has encouraged people to ask and understand the condition better

If that's not very articulate i use the excuse of tiredness

Hope it all works out for you though

Hi you are being discriminated at your work place. insulin is a life saver and if a colleague was in a wheel chair, taking their asthma inhaler, or putting in eye drops, would they be 'punished' for their medical condition, probably not. How would they feel if their child, brother, sister, wife or husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes !! I find it unacceptable in this day and age and they do sound an uncaring work force, rather sad.
I hope you can get some help and support and not treated as 'problem' to other's.
Take care x

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here's an interesting article.not quite the one I was looking for but similar. You might want to look up 'making reasonable adjustments.'

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/blogs/empl...e-by-suggesting-she-inject-insulin-in-toilet/

That's an interesting article, which suggests both the employer, and the diabetic have to consider other employees having a needle phobia, so maybe simply suggesting injecting at the desk, as has been said before, and others having to look the other way won't be always acceptable.

Reactions: Janr20