Experimenting with my diet

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought I'd try out what would happen if I ate an ultra thin pizza from m and s. (Well, I was in need of a treat and I really fancied it). Before lunch my BG was 5.2. Two hours later it had jumped to 7.8, the highest it has been since I started testing myself. One hour later I tested again and it was down to 4.2,my lowest yet. I wonder if the 7.8 was a rogue reading or if it is normal to drop down so quickly?

D

Deleted member 371625

Although 7.8is a little high, it is within the acceptable range for a non-diabetic after 2 hours (just, the limit is 7.8) and it did drop very quickly afterwards. I wouldn't worry about it, especially as it came after pizza. Just keep pizza for a treat.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Will do! Haven't had any for six months. I thought 8.5 was the top for diabetics.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd try out what would happen if I ate an ultra thin pizza from m and s. (Well, I was in need of a treat and I really fancied it). Before lunch my BG was 5.2. Two hours later it had jumped to 7.8, the highest it has been since I started testing myself. One hour later I tested again and it was down to 4.2,my lowest yet. I wonder if the 7.8 was a rogue reading or if it is normal to drop down so quickly?
I would consider that a good result - I had a similar result after Pizza a month if so ago.

Reactions: HelenHak

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Will do! Haven't had any for six months. I thought 8.5 was the top for diabetics.
Wow,
I would almost be happy to have a normal BS of 8.5. I have secondary diabetes caused my pancreas problems and I can go from a hypo to 19 or more within a couple of hours. I take insulin and metformin but it's a real rollercoaster when it comes to stabilising my BS. I am on a strict diet now which has helped but won't realistically be something I can keep up forever.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow,
I would almost be happy to have a normal BS of 8.5. I have secondary diabetes caused my pancreas problems and I can go from a hypo to 19 or more within a couple of hours. I take insulin and metformin but it's a real rollercoaster when it comes to stabilising my BS. I am on a strict diet now which has helped but won't realistically be something I can keep up forever.

Good luck. Keep it up as much as you can.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Helen - Have you continued testing beyond the 2 hour mark? The reason I ask is a number of people have commented that pizza is a sneaky little foodstuff, in that for some it will have a slow rise, and for others it has more than one rise, due to the combination of carbs and fats.

Should you repeat the pizza, it would be worthwhile just testing on for another hour, or if that sees a further rise, then a little longer.

Pizzas aren't my thing so I could happily never bother with another, ever again, but I do know how yummtastic they are for some.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Wow. I know I'm type 1 so different but I once are pizza and got my dose time wrong ended up at 19, then had to give more insulin to correct.