Slimming World & Metformin SR

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on Metformin SR now for 10 months. Some days are ok and some like today im in pain with stomach cramp sensation. If homest ive been on slimmers world and it has kinda worked but because of the cramps, i get put off sticking to it and dont feel like eating. Is there anything else apart from metformin SR? I did have gliclazide when diagnosed but gave me lots of hypos. Sorry to be a pain. Im a bit mixed as prior to my diagnosis i lost 4 stone with weight watchers, but nurse told me SW is more diabetic friendly ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is that the slow release version of metformin you are taking..?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @diabeticnewby - Welcome to the Forum :). I feel you need to go and see your GP and/or Diabetes Nurse about the Slow Release Metformin and perhaps get a change in your medication.
Don't know if you have had the information from daisy1? So, I am tagging @daisy1 anyway.
Read the information when it is posted here on the Forum and ask any questions.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @diabeticnewby
Welcome to the forum :)

Umm... Unfortunately, what the GP and Diabetes Nurse, and other NHS professionals, tell you is, usually, not the best of advice, regarding diet. This tends to be a very frequent problem all around the UK but, fortunately for you, you've come to this forum where you will learn a lot of different things in how best to manage your diabetes. However, everyone is an individual and, therefore, different. :) So, you'll be encouraged to decide for yourself what is best for YOU. :)

Regarding Slimming World, many members here do Slimming World BUT ... I think they tend to use the groups for the motivation and the weigh-ins but alter the diet they have to what best suits them. Needless to say, this change in diet is not volunteered at the SW meetings - for obvious reasons ;)

Firstly, then, the Eatwell Plate is not healthy for diabetics and the NHS professionals seem to overlook that. As you will see when you get Daisy's post, both sugars and carbohydrates are responsible for your raised glucose levels and the drops in your glucose levels (hypos) Carbs, which includes sugars, are all converted into glucose once in your body and there, to reduce your glucose levels, you need to reduce the carbs in your diet.

Once you have reduced the carbs, you will find your glucose levels very much more stable, therefore less risk of hypos. Having said that, of course Gliclazide and other similar meds, increase the production of insulin and therefore you stand the risk of hypos so it's important to balance the amount of carbs against the increase in insulin produced. you can only do this by frequent and regular testing your blood glucose with the monitor and test strips that your surgery should have supplied you with and added to your regular prescriptions.

So, I do hope your nurse has issued you with glucose monitor, lancets and test strips? If not, please go back to him/her and insist you are given these. NICE guidelines suggest the need when on insulin-increasing medications. Type 2 diabetics not on Gliclazide, or similar, are usually refused a monitor and test strips on prescription and actually told that 'Type 2s' dont need to test' which is really very wrong, to be honest.

Hopefully, you will find the support and information here invaluable. There are many very experienced members here so do ask questions etc as and when you would like to :)

Reactions: Freema

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@diabeticnewby

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. In here is the link to the Low Carb Program which might help you. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also take Metformin SR and have never had any problems with it except on a couple of rare occasions when I've eaten slightly higher carbs or sugar than usual. I think it is generally accepted that Metformin and carbs don't mix well, so this could be one possible explanation

In the first instance, I would suggest staying on Metformin but reducing carbs to see if things settle down. The SR version is by far the best, and it is a helpful med to take for a number of reasons.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do ask for Metformin SR. Gliclazide is really for those who are trending towards T1 and lacking in insulin. Whatever diet approach you take, just keep the carbs down and don't worry about fat or protein. In general ignore the experts!

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all, apologies as im not to tech savey on the forum. Yep im on slow realease metformin. I was on 4 a day and now 3. But still not great. I have appointmet today with nurse as cant get in to dr. Also frustrated as started new job and dont look great if not well! Does not give a good impression. Thank you fir all you support. :)

Reactions: Liam1955

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, apologies as im not to tech savey on the forum. Yep im on slow realease metformin. I was on 4 a day and now 3. But still not great. I have appointmet today with nurse as cant get in to dr. Also frustrated as started new job and dont look great if not well! Does not give a good impression. Thank you fir all you support. :)
Do read the Patient Information Leaflet in the box of Metformin. It could be that you are not eating enough for it to interact. The leaflet states you should not take them if you are on less than 1000 cal a day

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on Metformin SR now for 10 months. Some days are ok and some like today im in pain with stomach cramp sensation. If homest ive been on slimmers world and it has kinda worked but because of the cramps, i get put off sticking to it and dont feel like eating. Is there anything else apart from metformin SR? I did have gliclazide when diagnosed but gave me lots of hypos. Sorry to be a pain. Im a bit mixed as prior to my diagnosis i lost 4 stone with weight watchers, but nurse told me SW is more diabetic friendly ?
Get your Doctor to change the type of Metformin to Gloucophage. I had just the same cramps but none after the change. By law Dr's have to try you on the 'crampy' one first, very few patients can tolerate it but the other is more expensive for the NHS. You are entitled to it if the other gives you side effects - don't be put off.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seem to many people who have a bad reaction to Metformin and have stopped using it. I think it can help lower blood sugar, but not by very much.

A much more effective way to reduce your blood sugar is to change your diet to a Low Carb High Fat diet. You should measure your blood sugar using a glucose meter and see what happens when you try a low carb diet. You may find your blood sugars reduce significantly. Once your blood sugars have reached normal levels, you may not need to take drugs like Metformin.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I must say I don't approve of people saying to cease taking Metformin- it has successfully reduced my sugar levels dramatically in only a few weeks ( along side watching my diet ) - yes I have had a few side effects but they seem to have improved.
Diet alone would not have reduced my sugar levels as I was quite poorly - if your meds aren't suiting you please seek professional advice I'm sure they could be changed for an alternative. It all takes time .

Reactions: Liam1955

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say I don't approve of people saying to cease taking Metformin- it has successfully reduced my sugar levels dramatically in only a few weeks ( along side watching my diet ) - yes I have had a few side effects but they seem to have improved.
Diet alone would not have reduced my sugar levels as I was quite poorly - if your meds aren't suiting you please seek professional advice I'm sure they could be changed for an alternative. It all takes time .
I agree people should not advise other on what to take or not, that is for an HCP.
However I beg to disagree with you about its' impact. Your diet and exercise, lets call it lifestyle change will have had a far more dramatic impact than metformin, which has two roles. 1. It enhances insulin sensitivity, 2. It slows the release of glucose from your liver.
Exercise also enhances insulin sensitivity, it also causes your muscle groups to demand more energy (glucose) taken from the blood stream. Reducing carbohydrate intake is like not putting another log on the fire, the fire dies down. In our bodies case there is less fuel to turn into glucose, so less glucose in the bloodstream.

I have just stopped taking metformin, there is no noticeable difference in BG readings. I think @PenfoldAPD had the same experience last year, and I think I am right in saying @JohnEGreen has restarted meformin (for different reasons) be interesting to have his observations

Edited to correct spelling

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
In people who have stopped taking metformin without impacting BG - it would be interesting to know what has happened to their insulin levels. Chances are they will have risen in order to keep the BG in check. OK - but persistently raised insulin levels are inflammatory and an independent risk factor for much chronic disease.

Reactions: Debzz_

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree people should not advise other on what to take or not, that is for an HCP.
However I beg to disagree with you about its' impact. Your diet and exercise, lets call it lifestyle change will have had a far more dramatic impact than metformin, which has two roles. 1. It enhances insulin sensitivity, 2. It slows the release of glucose from your liver.
Exercise also enhances insulin sensitivity, it also causes your muscle groups to demand more energy (glucose) taken from the blood stream. Reducing carbohydrate intake is like not putting another log on the fire, the fire dies down. In our bodies case there is less fuel to turn into glucose, so less glucose in the bloodstream.

I have just stopped taking metformin, there is no noticeable difference in BG readings. I think @PenfoldAPD had the same experience last year, and I think I am right in saying @JohnEGreen has restarted meformin (for different reasons) be interesting to have his observations

Edited to correct spelling

Thanks for the mention. I stopped metformin after being on it for around 5 months - it was ok'd by my GP. I increased my exercise and started following a low carb dieton diagnosis. My levels are generally in the 5's each morning for my FBG.

Well done on giving up the metformin @walnut_face - really pleased for you. Many may have opposing views but in my opinion if I can manage my condition with diet/exercise it must surely be better than pills. Although the pill route may well be easier at times :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking metformin and it had no noticeable effects on my BG levels, but it did take some time for the side effects to reduce. I was not taking it with carbs but I just could not leave the house as my insides would just explode without much warning, it was dreadful. I took it along with a statin - I don't know what did the damage but now I can hardly walk for the aching muscles in my legs. Eating low carb sorted the diabetes, no trouble, so I am really ticked off to suffer from the side effects of the tablets for so long after stopping them.