Does it get better?

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
Exactly. Positive is positive. I think the negative is below 10.
Fab thanks for confirming.

I'm. So relieved. I was starting to worry I was really t2 and was doomed to a life with as restrictive a diet as I have had to follow. When the latest consultant said I was definitely t2 because I hadn't lost weight I thought maybe I was wrong after all. Maybe my raging sugar levels were self inflicted.

I'd started to keep a food diary and realised I'd actually been having more cars than I thought because I hadn't realised how high in carbs dairy is. Still I've been between 80-100g per day which is 50% of the daily recommended (more for athletes - and considering I usually cycle at least an hour a day I'd say that fairly athletic).

I thought I was genuinely doomed because I really struggle keeping carbs so low. Not so bad while I'm off work but not normally. Having a full time job and part time phd doesn't leave much time for meal prep.
Plus I've been getting so bored of eating the same old stuff. Chicken and veg, bacon, omelette, more chicken, bolognase without pasta, more.chicken, another omelette. You the picture.

I can't wait to feel normal again. To have energy, to be able to eat a little more 'normally'. And it's only around the corner now. It's been a blooming long month or so I tell ya.

Reactions: Prem51

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Latest update:

Had a bit of drama.
Yesterday morning I was uncontrolably sick everywhere. It lasted about 10 mins and was all bright yellow green stomach bile. Since the consultant had previously asked if I'd been inexplicably sick when determining if t2 or 1.5 earlier this week I decided to call 111. They got a GP to get in touch who said he wanted me on insulin right away and not to wait until my appointment Monday. He said should go back to my GP or AandE.
Knowing that my GP is difficult to get emergency appointment's with and that hospitals have more resources I went to AandE.

Despite being entirely fine on the outside and feeling quite well (hadn't felt nausea before or after the sickness) I was seen within an hour. Had sugars taken - they weren't too bad 10mmol. Ketone were checked for the first time and were at 3. They were also present in my wee wee.

Because of this they kept me in - put me on a saline drip to flush the ketones and monitored my glucose and ketones throughout the day and night. Sugars came down really well to 7 in the evening and my lowest EVER since diagnosis (7 is a rare and please tell sight for me) I got a 5.3!!!! In the night. This is despite having carbs with my evening meal and supper and no insulin at this point. Saline had been off since before dinner too. Go figure!!!

Really my needle phobia.
So when I first got there they took a few samples to check for acidosis. I couldn't look but I felt absolutely fine about it. Was totally relaxed and didn't flinch at all. This is after 2 sessions of hypnosis and a hypnosis track I've been listening to before bed. I was over the moon. It was so exciting!!!

I then go through to a bay where I need to get my canular fitted. I recognise the nurse from work (I worked in the faculty of health where we train military nurses at Birmingham City Uni until recently). So we had a rapport and i felt fine still.

He fits the canular in my left inner elbow. Again couldn't look but felt fine. He then pumps some water in with a syringe to test it and it's very painful. He said it must not be in right and he wants to fit another near my right hand.

At just the wrong moment - for no good reason and without intention I looked. All that I saw saw a huge needle about to go in my bulging vein.

I turned away and saw the first canular and that was it in was gone. My vision blurred and I went so very cold. It took everything I've got over the next 10 minutes to not pass out. But I didn't.

My hypnotherapist contacted and I told him and I had an emergency session over the phone. Can't say I was very good with my first insulin injection this morning but no tears. Also I realised I didn't feel a thing. Not one iota. I think I can blooming well do this!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Of course you can do it :) You're just as strong as any of us :)

I hope you're feeling better now. X

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely agree the test results are vital. I'm on max dose metformin plus sitagliptin and canoglifazil and still my blood sugars were 15.4 this morning. I had one orange, 2 plumbs and a small portion of blueberries spaced throughout the day. Orange in the morning. Plumbs around 4 and berries before bed. How is that too much fruit? **** I love fruit. Carbs were tough to give up but fruit!!! We are conditioned from birth to eat fruit and that it's good for us. My dietician that I saw in my first 6 months from original diagnosis said fruit was fine as long as I spaced out the portions like I have.

Please remember that orange juice is a hypo treatment, so if you are eating oranges regularly this will elevate your BGs significantly. Why not try swapping them for raspberries and blueberries?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really sorry you're dealing with all of this and experiencing what sounds like inconsistent care. I hope getting insulin started/straightened out will help in all departments (and the hypnosis is brilliant). I am in maybe-LADA limbo myself, but wanted to chime in as I recently finished a PhD and was diagnosed right at the end of all that. Doing a PhD is mentally challenging, even without health deterioration! Myself, I had felt that I was just depressed and exhausted because I was trying to finish my dissertation, because everyone is depressed and tired when they're doing that. BUT, getting my sugars down helped immensely and I now understand that high sugars can cause depression and fatigue. I hope that once you get your health under control you will have renewed vigor for your thesis/work, too!

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm really sorry you're dealing with all of this and experiencing what sounds like inconsistent care. I hope getting insulin started/straightened out will help in all departments (and the hypnosis is brilliant). I am in maybe-LADA limbo myself, but wanted to chime in as I recently finished a PhD and was diagnosed right at the end of all that. Doing a PhD is mentally challenging, even without health deterioration! Myself, I had felt that I was just depressed and exhausted because I was trying to finish my dissertation, because everyone is depressed and tired when they're doing that. BUT, getting my sugars down helped immensely and I now understand that high sugars can cause depression and fatigue. I hope that once you get your health under control you will have renewed vigor for your thesis/work, too!

I'm pleased to report I got insulin about 3/4 weeks ago. My levels are at a healthy level now and I can really feel the difference. But yes the same as you I put the warning signs down to depression for a long time. It was only after a course of CBT followed by a course of EMDR I realised there was still.something not right. I knew I wasnt depressed any more but struggled getting up in the morning and motivating myself to do anything.

I've fallen behind target by a year but have almost two year''s registration left (part time) so not too worried.

Congratulations on completing - it can't have been easy with unrecognised health issues.

My brain fog has lofted now and I'm cycling and active again. Yey.

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Please remember that orange juice is a hypo treatment, so if you are eating oranges regularly this will elevate your BGs significantly. Why not try swapping them for raspberries and blueberries?
I understand you are trying to help but I must point put that you are not helping. We must remember that orange juice has a far higher fructose content than an orange as it has had all the pulp and fiber removed.

No one on earth should be denied a portion of fruit. It's and orange for Christ's sake.
As a wrongly diagnosed t2 every time my levels were high I was blamed. I was made to feel that I wasn't restricting my diet enough. So I would go away and Tey harder. And harder. And harder. Until the only carb I'm having is a meager wholemeal wrap and the odd piece of fruit. It was such a miserable existence. I had zero energy.

This went on and on until eventually I am hospitalised and my blood almost acid.

Diabetics need to stop judging each other's diet and start supporting the notion that we should be able to lead a normal life.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased to report I got insulin about 3/4 weeks ago. My levels are at a healthy level now and I can really feel the difference. But yes the same as you I put the warning signs down to depression for a long time. It was only after a course of CBT followed by a course of EMDR I realised there was still.something not right. I knew I wasnt depressed any more but struggled getting up in the morning and motivating myself to do anything.

I've fallen behind target by a year but have almost two year''s registration left (part time) so not too worried.

Congratulations on completing - it can't have been easy with unrecognised health issues.

My brain fog has lofted now and I'm cycling and active again. Yey.

Yay! We joke that if I can finish my PhD while coming down with diabetes, I can do anything. You too!