METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: Metformin and whisky

I swallow Metformin MR and inject Victoza for T2 diabetes and I do also occassionally enjoy a large scotch at weekends without any noticable change in any of my health problems. When I say large I mean 2 of those small 50ml bottles of a good single malt.
What it does do if enjoyed mid to late evening is give me a good night's sleep.

I would not drink it on a daily basis, but for me just on a Saturday OR Sunday (never both) does not seem to do me any harm.

PickledPepper

Re: Metformin and whisky

I'd better refrain for a bit. Having a bottle around wont be a good idea if I can only have a shot or 2 once a week.

It is my favorite weakness........

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Re: Is It Metformin causing this Reaction? - Update

Had a long chat with my GP today and they remain puzzled at my reaction. They did agree I did the right thing to stop the Metformin for now but they are still hoping to get me back onto it again if at all possible.
Because I feel so bad at the moment I have to stay off Metformin for 1 week and then try introducing 1 x 500 mg daily to see what happens. I've to take during the day while the surgery is open so that I can call in if there is any reaction.
They also recommended (wait for it ....) that I follow a low carb regime at least for now AND they were highly delighted I had already made the switch. Bloods are being done in 1 week from now and I am seeing the GP again the week after to review again.
If I react again to the Metformin then it is back to the drawing board again but the low carbing is having a positive effect both on weight and BG.
Has anyone managed to get off Metformin by using low carb diet & exercise only?

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin

Hi All

Started Metformin about 3 months ago and we didnt really get on, terrible stomach problems for the first few weeks but i persevered and it did ease off but still had more of "those moments" than i wanted SO at my review last week they changed me to Glucophage 500mg prolonged release which im building upto 4 a day and so far things are much better :)

Anyway my question is i still Have 4 unopened boxes of standard Metformin left, What can i do with them?? I don't want to throw them away as its such a waste, Can they be reused?? any charites that can take them.

Brian

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Metformin

You should take them back to the pharmacy or contact the Red Cross or Oxfam perhaps to see if they do take unused medication.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.

At my pharmacy they tell us that they will always send unused medicines for destruction as that is the law. :shock:

We always take ours to the GP's surgery as they will happily dish them out - best to ask them if that is their policy though. Failing that I think I would try to send them on to a charity.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

sugarless sue said:
You should take them back to the pharmacy or contact the Red Cross or Oxfam perhaps to see if they do take unused medication.

It would be fantastic if they could go to these charities to use in third world countries, after all it is a dreadful waste, but I did ask my pharmacist a few years back about unused medicines, and was told the same as Synonym, that all unused meds that are returned are destroyed. :(

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes

It would be fantastic if they could go to these charities to use in third world countries, after all it is a dreadful waste, but I did ask my pharmacist a few years back about unused medicines, and was told the same as Synonym, that all unused meds that are returned are destroyed.

This is because, once the medication leaves the Pharmacy they have no way of knowing the storage conditions, temperature etc and therefore have no choice but to destroy any unused for safety.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

sugarless sue said:
It would be fantastic if they could go to these charities to use in third world countries, after all it is a dreadful waste, but I did ask my pharmacist a few years back about unused medicines, and was told the same as Synonym, that all unused meds that are returned are destroyed.

This is because, once the medication leaves the Pharmacy they have no way of knowing the storage conditions, temperature etc and therefore have no choice but to destroy any unused for safety.

Make sense I suppose!

Nigel

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
How long for metformin to kick in?

Finally succumbed to medication yesterday and now take 500mg in morning and 500mg with evening meal.....how long does it normally take to see glucose level start to drop? Hasn't been any drop in 2 hour post-prandials i've checked so far.....

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Re: How long for metformin to kick in?

Metformin typically will work within a few days or a few weeks at the most.

You have to help it as well though by regulating the amount of Carbs that you eat. No amount of medication will work to lower blood sugar levels if you do not help it.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad

Thanks Sue, forgot to ask nurse the specifics....find that white bread and semi skimmed milk two of my biggest vices where blood sugar concerned :cry:

Synonym

Dislikes

hoolyuk said:
Thanks Sue, forgot to ask nurse the specifics....find that white bread and semi skimmed milk two of my biggest vices where blood sugar concerned :cry:

Oooh dear! You know what you have to do then?! :shock:

Sounds like it will help you to go back to the beginning and follow the advice that Sue and/or Ken post for newly diagnosed T2s as that will really help you. It is never too late to crack on with things. :)

dianeb

Metformin is a really clever little drug.

You do need to go for the low GI alternatives though, granary bread, basmati rice, etc and watch your portion size. What are you readings like?

It doesn't 'build up' in effectiveness, it works by pushing the sugars into your muscles from your blood stream. The 'fast acting' one with meals has a short life span in your body. Give it a couple of weeks though for your body to get used to it.

Are you suffering from any side effects? The best way is to make sure you take the tablet mid-meal (this also helps to minimise the tummy related side effects). Eat half your carbs, take the tablet and then finish your meal. Made a massive difference for me and my nurse is dogmatic on this approach!

theonlysbf

All T2 suffers are different, things that work for some do not work or suit others. There a mirad of approaches from Carb control to avoiding refined sugar and food additives, etc, you can read about them all on this site, each has their own followers.
I am not denigrating any of these approaches; they work for the individuals and their life.
Metformin is a wonder drug, you should read up how it works, but at best it will only bring BG down 2 points, the rest sadly you need to do yourself. That means controlling what you eat, not just the obvious, but looking at absolutely everything that is in your diet. In addition to this, the single most effective thing you can do to lower your BG is exercise.
What is absolutely essential is that you get control of your BG, BP and Cholesterol. As a T2 you’ll probably need a combination of drugs / diet / exercise, whatever combination you end up with it will give YOU and not the horrid diabetes control of your life.

Kleinian

My type II can be a touch confusing. I finally got onto Metformin and I am prescribed 3 500mg per day mainly due to my own insistence. My GP seems to know little about diabetes. My morning/fasting BG has been quite high at times - maybe as high as 7.3 - but my last 4 readings were 4.5, 4.6, 4.2 and 4.8. I have no idea why this has happened. My diet has not changed but I am doing some heavy work in the house (rebuilding a bathroom!).

I did change my meter from the Accuchek to the Bayer Contour - which I got free! - and the Bayer seems much easier to use than the Accuchek and does not have the stupid coding thing. The Accuchek started giving me some very odd readings and I dumped it.

I did ask/insist that my GP referred me to an endocrinologist, who is a diabetic expert, and that was a good move. They did an excellent analysis of all my readings and they were OK but my random cortisol was down. I am going in as a day patient on July 9th for a 'short synacthen' test. Low steroids could explain some of the problems I have been having. I am surprised that all diabetics are not referred to endocrinology. I will let you have the results!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Metformin will I feel better

Sorry if this is has already been asked but I could not find it. I have posted on another Metformin topic saying I have just got my first prescription. I just do not have the energy I would like to have, I am wondering if using metformin will help with this? I am assuming diabetes is cause of loss of energy and reason for falling asleep in the chair at night! I hate this, because when I get to bed I cannot sleep. My husband says if I am tired I should go to bed, but I am usually watching tv and awake one minute, asleep the next but still hear tv and think I am awake (if that makes sense). This also could be due to age, and my work which is rather tiring and demanding (College Lecturer) :D I also suffer with burning feet, though - again - with my job I am on feet alot.

rolyatluap

metaformin .......here goes

I have been type 2 diet diabetes for a couple of years or so and have changed my diet dramatically and fairly consistant(apart from falling off the wagon occationally)but recently I started seeing symptoms of my sugar levels increasing even though I eat quite well and go to the gym regularly but still I am slowly gaining weight and feeling tired etc.My readings have increased to 7.8 instead of my fairly low reading and the inevitable happen they said it was time for metaformin .Then I get onto my questions I have to start one a day for a week then 2 for a week than working to 4 a day ,what side effects has anyone had with these and is it really for life or can I get off them at any time ...

Synonym

Dislikes
Re: metaformin .......here goes

Hi Paul

Your post intrigues me as you seem to state two very different things which would seem not be consistent. :?

You first of all say that you changed your diet completely and then you say that you had a special 3 month diet to prepare for your Hba1c test. Clearly you are aware of what you needed to do and knew that if you really worked at your eating plan you were able to get a good result on your Hba1c, 5.8 at one time if it was a genuine test, so it seems a bit odd that you didn’t use the knowledge gained to keep good control. :shock:

Only time will tell what damage you have done to yourself whilst you have been doing the ‘smoke and mirrors stuff’ since the Hba1c is only an average and must have hidden many spikes and pretty consistent high BG levels during the time you were not on the ‘test preparation diet’ :!:
Clearly the only one you have been cheating is yourself as inevitably when you have been honest the numbers are reflecting what has actually been happening; an opportunity missed it would seem. :(

Now that you are taking medication it really would be wise to continue with the ‘honest’ policy so can only hope that you will, however the picture I have from what you have actually written is that you are still in denial and will continue on the same path. :( :roll:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Metformin will I feel better

Well metformin helped a lot for me to start with, I had that sort of tiredness with high blood sugar too and it helped with that.