ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I posted about my numb left foot and I saw the diabetic nurse this morning. I was there nearly 2 hours. Diabetic nurse did pick tests on feet was not happy so called my gp in.
So I have had the full works of blood tests plus hca1 blood test.
Gp is going to refer me to a podiatrist, next wednesday to have a full doppler test at the surgery then next Friday app with gp to discuss the results of blood tests and doppler test. Also as I got very dry lips where now I have a split bottom lip that is getting bigger and not healing, they also check my mouth and said mouth and tongue are very dry, I mentioned that I am thirsty more but not what I call excessive thirst.
Gp is also going to call my psych because my anti psycotic has been known to raise blood level, so they can both liason with each other.
Depending on what the blood tests show if anything, then they can/will act onto the next step.
At worst I will be referred to the diabetic deptat the hospital but that will only happen if blood tests show anything up

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything you can put on your lip @ally1 ? Sorry to hear about your foot, do check it visually every day, just in case

Reactions: ally1

Robkww

Hi @ally1 you really do have your plate full but good news is your medical team are to coordinate their input and seem to be responding thoroughly - hope all goes well for you, please keep in touch with the Forum.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank goodness your doctor is sitting up and taking notice of you, and not dismissing it. What sort of levels are you currently seeing on your finger prick tests?

I hope all goes well with your test results and next appointments. :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 Sorry to hear about your foot but pleased it is being taken seriously and send you my best wishes.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh This thirst can be from you antipshychitic medication I actually believe I got my diabetes from that medication which I got for my eternal depression and mental burnout maybe in the end it was better to be on a tricyclic medication instead , Hope They find a way to help you

Last edited:

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Ali ,I know you have a lot going on, I had similar with my foot, numbness etc I was sent for scan and its a Morton's neuroma,which is treatable and unrelated to diabetes,just sods law......podiatrist picked up on it......here's hoping yours isn't diabetes related....wish you well....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very glad you insisted on the appointment, and that they are taking it seriously.
Well done for making sure they saw you.

Hope you get good treatment at both the podiatrist and the clinic.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Thank goodness your doctor is sitting up and taking notice of you, and not dismissing it. What sort of levels are you currently seeing on your finger prick tests?

I hope all goes well with your test results and next appointments. :)
Since January, my morning test results have been rising from the 6,s to between 7.9 and 10. Not a huge amount.
During the day roughly around 9 and 2 hours later, roughly 11. Again not huge rises but up until then, first thing was around 6.5, pre meals around 4.9 and 2 hours later around 7.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh This thirst can be from you antipshychitic medication I actually believe I got my diabetes from that medication which I got for my eternal depression and mental burnout maybe in the end it was better to be on a tricyclic medication instead Hope They find a way to help you
My gp is liason in with psych to see what can be done and I do feel it's more likely to be the anti pyscotic.
That was increased late last year.
The thing that's worrying me the most at the moment is the numbness mainly in my left foot and a couple of fingers on my left hand.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Very glad you insisted on the appointment, and that they are taking it seriously.
Well done for making sure they saw you.

Hope you get good treatment at both the podiatrist and the clinic.
I will only be referred to the diabetic clinic if it is caused by the diabetes. That is the worst senario

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is not fair that this medication can leave you constantly so high in blood glucose so that you end up becomming an invalide

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
yes and tricyclic antidepresive does not really affect ones blood glucose... so maybe could that be a choice ... ?try ask the GP for that instead..
My gp is liason in with my psych to see

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well maybe I am wrong here, it seems that tricyclic antidepressant can also affect blood glucose..hmmmm:cool:

but I would guess not in an area like many antipsychotics..

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
well maybe I am wrong here, it seems that tricyclic antidepressant can also affect blood glucose..hmmmm:cool:

but I would guess not in an area like many antipsychotics..
That is interesting to know

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sertraline maybe worth a try, if you haven´t already tried it

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-879X2001000100007 :

"sertraline seems to be a good first choice agent (36) due to its well-documented stabilization of glucose levels. As a second choice to avoid disturbances in glycemia, clonazepam seems to be a safe antidepressant drug for diabetics."
" As a second choice to avoid disturbances in glycemia, clonazepam seems to be a safe antidepressant drug for diabetics."

Last edited:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sertraline maybe worth a try, if you haven´t already tried it

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-879X2001000100007 :

"sertraline seems to be a good first choice agent (36) due to its well-documented stabilization of glucose levels. As a second choice to avoid disturbances in glycemia, clonazepam seems to be a safe antidepressant drug for diabetics."
" As a second choice to avoid disturbances in glycemia, clonazepam seems to be a safe antidepressant drug for diabetics."
Am also already on sertraline alongside the anti psycotic

Reactions: Freema

iHs

Ally try to put plenty of vaseline on your lips before bed and also during the day. Also, use a thickish straw to drink any fluid through so that the vaseline isn't washed off. Drink plenty of water as well.

Hopefully, your physciatrist might be able to change your anti physcotic med to something else that might be better
For you.

Reactions: Freema