Newbie needs advice.

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been RH for 50 years but only really diagnosed in the last few years. When I was 12 years old I had a stomach and esophagus operation which I now know can lead to RH. As a teenager I occasionally would start shaking and sweating, and I mean sweating like someone had tipped a bucket of water on me. Throughout my life I had these "sweats" but they were pretty intermittent and never properly diagnosed. I would grab a bar of chocolate and slowly come round. Twice I ended up in an ambulance and off to hospital but still was never diagnosed.
About 20 years ago I met someone who had the same "sweats" as me and told me it was known as a "sugar dump" and just to eat sugar to replace the dumping. This I had obviously worked out for my self over the years but it was interesting to meet someone with the same problem for the first time.
However over the last 4 or 5 years these have become more frequent, and very unpredictable leading me to try to get diagnosed.

A couple of years ago I was referred to a gastroenterologist regarding stomach pains and chest pains and he diagnosed me as RH although I still not got to the reason for my constant stomach and chest pains.

He suggested, mainly to combat my stomach pains, that I eat every 2 or 3 hours and small meals but made no mention of restricting carbs.
He told me to always have sugar with me in case of RH.
So this has been my eating regime for a couple of years now.

I still have the stomach and chest pains though.

Up until a few years ago I would go 3 or 4 weeks without any problems then have 2 or 3 hypos on consecutive days and then nothing again for a few weeks.
More lately I seem to hypo at least once a week, usually more often.
I am definitely more likely to hypo in the evening around 1 and a half to 2 hours after a meal. I have hypo'd at other times of the day but not too often.

I have always eaten a fairly heathy diet. I eat a lot of salads, vegetables, fruit, oily fish, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.
I don't eat meat and haven't done for 40 years.
I don't drink sugary drinks but I have a sweet tooth so eat some chocolate and biscuits or cake most days.

For 6 days now I have been following a LCHF diet and eating only 3 times a day, no snacks.
I have been checking my bs every hour after eating and there has definitely been a lowering and stabilizing, and no hypo.
Strange though this morning the reading was 123 (6.8) instead of a fairly common 85 to 93 (4.7 to 5.2).

Right finally to my question.
How can I maintain my weight whilst eating LCHF?
I am 6'2" and only weigh 60 kgs.
I have already dropped a couple of kilos this past 6 days and whilst I am keen to continue LCHF I do not need to loose any more weight.

(Really sorry for the long winded ramble but wanted to give some background info).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Am so impressed that you have been dealing with RH for so long, AND have got yourself diagnosed, AND have been trying LCHF. Glad it is working to even out the highs and the lows. Isn't it wonderful when you find something that actually makes a difference and you start to feel better. :D

I'm not the best person to talk about weight gain, my situation is wanting to lose some, but there are quite a few people who have found that it is terribly easy to lose weight on LCHF and harder to stabilise. From what I have seen, they tend to up intake of nuts (which are amazingly calorific), and cheese, and pate, and similar foods. The trick seems to be to eat foods which contain a combination of fats and protein (pate and cheese) or fats, carbs and proteins (nuts). This will trigger small releases of insulin, enough to enable storage of fat in the fat cells, without the peaks that will set off your RH.

Dr Bernstein advises people to increase their protein intake, because that has the same effect.

Hope that makes sense?

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,
Thanks for your reply.
I have been quickly building up my knowledge about what to eat and what not to eat after all these years of just eating, albeit a healthy ish diet - if I don't count the sugar and high carbs
High fat high protein does seem to be the answer to avoid weight loss. I have been eating very low carb for a week now and only lost a few kilos so I shouldn't be worrying to much but I definately do not want to loose more. Time to crank up the fats and proteins.
So far so good, no hypos in a week. I am not getting too excited yet though, as I said earlier my hypos can be two or three weeks apart but I feel I am on the right path to stop them completely.

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have been following LCHF now for 1 week and no hypos and my BS levels have been fairly even, before meals, 1 hr and 2 hrs after so I am very pleased so far.
Today something strange happened.
My FBS was 99 mg/dl (5.5) which is a little higher than normal.
I had breakfast at 8.45am and had Greek yogurt and a few berries sprinkled with a few seeds, sunflower etc. a half glass of tomato juice and a cup of tea with a little full fat milk. I guess around 12 gems of carb. A fairly normal sort of breakfast for me this week.
I then tested 1 hr later and my BS level was 106 mg/dl (5.9). All good.
I then couldn't test at 2 hrs but had a small milky coffee at 11am.
I then tested again at 1.30 pm just before lunch and I was 133 mg/dl (7.4)
I can't understand why this should be so high.
Lunch was at 1.30 and was cheese and smoked salmon salad with 1 tomato, onion, celery, lettuce, spinach leaves, mayo, mushroom and lots of olive oil.
At 3pm BS reading is 95 mg/dl (5.3) which I much lower than I expected after such I high reading before lunch?

Anyone any ideas why my bs might be acting strange ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Practically speaking, I think you are better looking at trends, rather than specific numbers.

That probably doesn't make much sense at this point.
What I mean, is that on any given day, there are all sorts of different factors that can make odd little differences. For me, a spike or drop like that could have come from stress (worrying phone call, running for a bus, climbing a flight of stairs), or even a larger portion of milk in my tea. Some people find caffeine has an effect. I don't. Other factors include tiredness, pain, colds, viruses, infections.

And most of those are REALLY HARD to isolate, identify and quantify. And often impossible to control.

So it is better to look at the trends.
Keep testing. Keep recording the numbers, alongside your food diary.
And slowly, almost without you realising, you will start to see the trends appearing.

For example, you may eat exactly the same breakfast, Monday to Friday, but the only times your blood glucose rises significantly, are the days you walk to work. In contrast, the days you catch the bus, your numbers are more consistent.

Or maybe you have a stressful Thursday, because that is the day your Mother in Law comes to lunch ;) - and your numbers always go weird on Thursdays...

See what I mean?

After quite awhile of testing, I have noticed that my RH triggers are carbs AND certain timings AND having to do physical stuff like stairs or running OR stress (job interviews, being late, presentations at work, etc.). Combine more than one of these factors and things can get really interesting!

Your triggers, patterns and trends may be completely different, but recording them will help you understand and predict and avoid.

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, makes sense. Even my higher BS levels today are nothing drastic but it just surprised me a little.
I have maintained my 95 reading when testing at 5pm so still very pleased with my LCHF diet.
I will keep testing - my sore fingers can take more yet.

PS. I don't have stress in my life to be honest, which is good

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will keep testing - my sore fingers can take more yet.

Rotate the choice of fingers for testing, select the sides of the finger, not the tip and adjust the right depth. Some lancing devices are more gentle than others...Accuchek Multiclix/Fastclix, Delica One Touch etc.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
Hi algarvedave,

How can I maintain my weight whilst eating LCHF?
I am 6'2" and only weigh 60 kgs.

First thing that I want to ask is whether you use a Keto Calculator? If not then Google for it and input your details to find out how much fat protein and carbs you should be eating to be on a maintenance level.

Maintenance diet consumption is typically around 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs.