Bullet Proof Coffee

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Googled for a recipe for this but I am so confused. Isn't all butter grass fed? How do I know in a supermarket which is suitable and which is not?
Also what is the Oil they mention that I have to add, it sounds very complicated.
I have a Tassimo machine, can I use a cup of coffee from this or does it have to be instant coffee

If I wasn't senile before I think I am now......

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have Googled for a recipe for this but I am so confused. Isn't all butter grass fed? How do I know in a supermarket which is suitable and which is not?
Also what is the Oil they mention that I have to add, it sounds very complicated.
I have a Tassimo machine, can I use a cup of coffee from this or does it have to be instant coffee

Hi @Grannie75 ,
Have a look at this thread whilst you're waiting for more responses.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bulletproof-coffee.109914/#post-1282041

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Hello Grannie75, two butters i can recommend:Anchor new Zealand butter,and Lurpak irish butter both grass fed,and no all cows are not grass fed,pure coconut oil,is good to add,clive

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine (on the rare occasions that I have one these days) with double cream, whatever butter I have, usually waitrose own brand, and coconut oil all the extras in equal measure. I beat it in with a spoon although I'm sure with a blender it would be better.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I too no longer drink it. I wasn't losing weight but my bgs and insulin need improved greatly.
I use other liver blocks instead.
For me bullet proof coffee is only ideal in full lchf diet mode. Currently I'm not and losing weight by keeping bgs low. :) :) :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks, it was the MCT oil that really confused me. I have coconut oil and some Lurpak unsalted in my fridge ( from the days when I tried to avoid salt) I have double cream and a coffee maker, also a smoothie maker that would probably double as a blender, so it seems as though I have all I need.
Many thanks for interpreting the recipe for me, I will give it a go.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a battery driven milk frother instead of blender.

Reactions: ickihun

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can be certain that Butter costing £1.70 in a supermarket is not 100% Grass Fed whatever the catchy advertising slogan might say.

Although I've never been crazy enough to try one I have no idea what a Bulletproof Coffee is meant to achieve for you.

There MUST be more appetising ways to consume that many calories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbity

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I wouldn't bother - I hated it - all the extra gloop spoiled a really nice cup of coffee.

I just have coffee with double cream in now - very nice.

Reactions: Ultramum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it all sorts of different ways
- with filter coffee, cafetiere coffee, Dolce Gusto pod coffee, instant and Nespresso pods
- with just cream
- with butter and MCT
- with butter and coconut oil
- done in a blender
- done with a wee balloon whisk
- done with a battery operated milk frother

They ALL worked, although they varied quite a lot.

I would just go for whatever appeals, and then play about with the recipe until you find something that works for you. Just don't fall for some mystic claptrap about only using Single Estate Ridiculously Expensive Posh coffee, prepared at midnight on a waxing moon, with Jersey cow butter while chanting naked under a flowering cherry. Cos that is all nonsense! ;)

Goodness, I miss coffee.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am SO STINKING SAD!! It is now illegal to carry Kerry gold butter in Wisconsin!!! Might be worth it to drive to Illinois!! I have a massive freezer. This is death by butter!!! Sorry, thought it was a good thread to cry on.

Reactions: ickihun

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it all sorts of different ways
- with filter coffee, cafetiere coffee, Dolce Gusto pod coffee, instant and Nespresso pods
- with just cream
- with butter and MCT
- with butter and coconut oil
- done in a blender
- done with a wee balloon whisk
- done with a battery operated milk frother

They ALL worked, although they varied quite a lot.

I would just go for whatever appeals, and then play about with the recipe until you find something that works for you. Just don't fall for some mystic claptrap about only using Single Estate Ridiculously Expensive Posh coffee, prepared at midnight on a waxing moon, with Jersey cow butter while chanting naked under a flowering cherry. Cos that is all nonsense! ;)

Goodness, I miss coffee.

Thats a shame, I quite fancied the chanting naked under a flowering cherry.!!!