Confused

Vortex

Hi guys & gals

I'm a bit confused and hope you can shed some light.

I decided that as I need to exercise I would go swimming (not been for 20 years) and was advised that I should check my readings before and after any physical activity to see how it affected me.

The session was 9pm to 10pm so had a meal at about 7pm and tested myself before getting in the pool. The reading was 11.1 and then re-tested myself as soon as I came out and reading was 8.8.

I had a can of diet coke and then re-tested myself at about 11pm and the reading was back to 11. I thought I was ok on diet coke and so am a bit suprised at such a big jump back up. Would the exercise cause my levels to drop and then rise again ?

Homer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vortex
I see that you are recently diagnosed.
The most likely explanation is that your body is not used to such low readings (8.8 and going lower) and so your liver has reacted by boosting your sugar levels, some say that diet drinks can also have a similar effect.
As you continue to get your sugar levels under control your body will find new levels of normality and will react accordingly.
Congratulations on getting your levels down so effectively, keep up the good work.
Til

Vortex

Thanks for that. It may also help explain why my readings seem to be heading quite nicely in the right direction and then for no apparent reason seem to spike back up again.

I basically cut as much sugar out of my diet as possible and replaced the chocolate with fruit, eating more fish, chicken, veg etc. I've also noticed that I appear to losing quite a bit of weight which is alos helping motivate me and keep me on the straight an narrow...Although going from a guy 8) that eats any old **** to the eating sensibly, counting sugar / carb levels on food packets and constantly talking about my weight is making me feel like a proper girl :roll: .....erm no offense meant ladies :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Vortex said:
.........constantly talking about my weight is making me feel like a proper girl :roll: .....erm no offense meant ladies :D

No offence taken ..... most of the girls I know are much more careful than the boys I know ....no offence intended!! :roll:

I have found that any caffeine shoots my BG levels up nowadays so have to keep off it at present. :? :(

Vortex

Crikey I shudder at the thought of cutting out caffiene....I've cut out the sugar from it but cutting out the coffee would just a be step too far :shock: