Newbiee needs advice

paulsx

Hi all, was diagnosed last week as being type 2, Had the blood test that came back as 10.2, clorestoral was 5.1, I am 6', 47 years old and a bit overweight at 17s.

My meeting with the doctor didn't go too well and he wanted to start me on meds which I wasn't keen on and refused. I know I need to change my diet and exercise more etc but need some practical advice about trying to control it without meds.

I am due to see the practice diabetic nurse but its a 3 week wait so in the mean time I have tried to cut as much carbs from my diet as possible to try and help. I know the diet advice is confusing but is it possible to manage my diabetes through diet or should I have taken the meds?

The prospect of being on meds for life doesn't really appeal to me but also the prospect of only eating what is really good for you doesn't either lol

Many thanks

Reactions: kokhongw

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @paulsx Welcome to the forum - there's lots of really useful information here so please feel free to check out the forum, I am tagging @daisy1 for the new members information which is a good start for you ;)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum, there are lots of helpful friendly peeps here, lots of good grub threads and loads of information for when your ready......yes you can manage your diabetes with diet and exercise but diet is the most useful in getting those numbers down......if your Dr said don't test, ignore him and get yourself a meter as its only then you will be able to see what your present diet is doing for you and to you...........You have answered your own question, Its your choice.......either be sensible and eat good stuff or eat rubbish and end up on loads of meds, possibly blind and without various parts of your anatomy....

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul

We all start off with the initial....OMG..boring food and meds. I am actually eating much better food that before diagnosis. Ok doughnuts are a very rare and small treat, but the High Fat Low Carb diet can be as interesting as you want to make it.
Don't rule out meds....they help to get you back to an even keel and prevent other potential damaging effects of T2. For some...with exercise and a varied and healthy diet some eventually come off the medication.
I took my diagnosis as a warning shot and made sensible changes to my lifestyle....I am slimmer, fitter and happier than I have ever been in my previous 50(+) years.

You'll get plenty of advice and support from the lovely people on this forum!

Cheers

Tony

Reactions: Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@paulsx

Hello Paul and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The right low-carb diet may be all you need. If Metformin is offered do take it as it's a very safe drug, but not miracle cure.

Reactions: Debzz_

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @paulsx .. and welcome
I was in the same position as you and many others when I was diagnosed T2 in early Feb .. shocked and scared with no information and no idea what was happening to me. Since joining this forum, though, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working .. I have lost a stone and a half since my diagnosis and my BG levels are down from 12.5 to around 6. There is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum .. so ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need ..

I see above that you have already been contacted by @ daisy1 and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the valuable information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme

When you are considering testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

You are doing the right thing in cutting carbs right down but if you want to control this you need your own glucose meter or you are working blind. Testing before you eat and 90 minutes to 2 hours after your first bite and noting the rise from before to after will show you what different foods are doing to your levels, enabling you to tweak the portion sizes of the carbs or eliminate completely. A food diary comes in very useful.

Many of us have managed on diet only, and many have come off their meds. But it does require commitment.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome.

They are many different approaches you can take. one has been mentioned above by many and that is low carb. It is a great management approach but for me I wanted to reverse my T2. I followed an intensive low calorie diet and managed to reset my system back to normal within 3 months. You can read my approach from the link in my signature. After the intensive phase it is a good idea to move to a lower carb diet for the future.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My advice is certainly to cut carbs but the key for me is making mealtimes interesting. Buy yourself a simple recipe book. Dr Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet worked wonders for me but have a look around and see what suits your lifestyle. The meals can be so tasty without refined carbs and sugar, not at all what you would expect and you'll also find you won't be as hungry if you eat high healthy fat. If it says low fat, it stays on the shelf for me as these products tend to be full of sugar.

Reactions: TallLeeds

paulsx

Hi all thanks for the advice. I have at the moment cut as much fat and carbs out as possible as I dont really eat sweet things so can't cut out those lol. I am hoping that I can let it settle down and then see where it is and then hopefully start to reintroduce a few bits back into my diet. I will get a kit and do a few tests, I don't want to have to do it loads of times a day but hopefully it will show me that I am on the right track. I see the meds as a last resort so I will take them if I ahve to but at the moment I want to try and control it through my own efforts with support where needed :)

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all thanks for the advice. I have at the moment cut as much fat and carbs out as possible as I dont really eat sweet things so can't cut out those lol. I am hoping that I can let it settle down and then see where it is and then hopefully start to reintroduce a few bits back into my diet. I will get a kit and do a few tests, I don't want to have to do it loads of times a day but hopefully it will show me that I am on the right track. I see the meds as a last resort so I will take them if I ahve to but at the moment I want to try and control it through my own efforts with support where needed :)
Hi Paul, it really isn't about cutting out fat. Healthy fat will keep you satisfied for longer and low fat products replace the fat with sugar usually and you definitely want to avoid that. Happy to discuss how to reverse your diabetes, hopefully very quickly, if you would like me to. My email address is [email protected]

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The less carbs you eat the more fat you need to replace the lost energy, so please don't cut out the fat. You need it and your body needs it. Just replace any low fat products with the real thing, such as butter, cheese, eggs, real mayo, olive oil, moderate nuts, avocado, plain full fat yogurts etc. The amount you eat should be enough to satisfy any hunger and keep you from getting fatigued. Like a see-saw. More carbs/less fat, less carbs/more fat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a dreadful time as I was prescribed Metformin and a statin right away.
I thought that I was getting my mind back - but I was supposed to go to see my daughter yesterday and forgot all about it until she phoned to see what the problem was - my memory and intellect were deeply damaged, by taking the tablets for just a few weeks.
Reducing the carbs has resolved all the things to do with diabetes, so I do urge you to try to do the same. The diet is great - the tablets can be terrible.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a dreadful time as I was prescribed Metformin and a statin right away.
I thought that I was getting my mind back - but I was supposed to go to see my daughter yesterday and forgot all about it until she phoned to see what the problem was - my memory and intellect were deeply damaged, by taking the tablets for just a few weeks.
Reducing the carbs has resolved all the things to do with diabetes, so I do urge you to try to do the same. The diet is great - the tablets can be terrible.
Great advice :)
Hopefully by keeping track of your blood sugar levels you can get off the medication in time by working with your GP. It's a dietary condition and should be treated as such rather than be pumped full of pills if they can be avoided.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great advice :)
Hopefully by keeping track of your blood sugar levels you can get off the medication in time by working with your GP. It's a dietary condition and should be treated as such rather than be pumped full of pills if they can be avoided.
I stopped taking all medication before Christmas last year - I went to the supermarket and couldn't remember where I left the car - and I'd bought a second lot of things for Christmas - I thought that it would be better to have a life than struggle with the side effects of the tablets. I had thought that it might take a year to get the normal readings - particularly as I was not taking the prescribed tablets - it took 80 days. My doctor doesn't even know that I have stopped taking the tablets as he marked my notes no further action.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and Welcome - you may find the food you can eat that will stabilise / improve you BG levels will surprise you. I though I eat healthy pre-diagnosis - ( little did I know ) you will have your eyes opened when you absorb the info that's on this site, and the knowledge/experience of the good people that contribute to it - its sounds like you have the right attitude already - you have choices, it can be controlled by diet, don't rule out short term support from meds - not automatically a bad thing - key thing is get a meter, eat to it, find out what works best for you - look forward to seeing you in the success stories section in the future.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi all, was diagnosed last week as being type 2, Had the blood test that came back as 10.2, clorestoral was 5.1, I am 6', 47 years old and a bit overweight at 17s.

My meeting with the doctor didn't go too well and he wanted to start me on meds which I wasn't keen on and refused. I know I need to change my diet and exercise more etc but need some practical advice about trying to control it without meds.

I am due to see the practice diabetic nurse but its a 3 week wait so in the mean time I have tried to cut as much carbs from my diet as possible to try and help. I know the diet advice is confusing but is it possible to manage my diabetes through diet or should I have taken the meds?

The prospect of being on meds for life doesn't really appeal to me but also the prospect of only eating what is really good for you doesn't either lol

Many thanks
Go on the meds if you don't want to end up on insulin. Start now and avoid that nuscience! I've been doing it for years and it can be a bit disheartening.

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Paul.....I am 59.....I was 102 kilos and lethargic . That was last June '16...I had no idea why I was so thirsty and I weed six times a night. .tiring...I found out I was T2 in January '17 and was prescribed 6 bloody tablets a day.....I decided to take just four...2morn..2 night. ..I also dumped everything in my food cupboard and filled it with food recommended by an American site. ..T2DR.... they were revolutionary advocating a new regime. ...which is now in full view right here. ...the Low Carb High Fat diet. It worked. I lost 11kilos....over10 bags of sugar...try carrying those around for.a while....It wasn't difficult to do.....I found hundreds of recipes from American sites advocating LCHF.Try it out..ask questions if you need to..I'm happy to respond. ...as are many others here. Good luck.