Snacks/Treats for T2 Diabetics ?

tubamanandy

What do you have as 'treats' knowing that you are T2 ?

I'm looking for 'safe' treats that won't sky- rocket my sugar levels.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts, avocado,chocolate over 80% ,celery sticks with more cheese ! Full fat yoghurt , double cream with a few berries or melted chocolate .Most importantly..test after 2 hours and see what effect your snack has on your BG levels
CAROL

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All the above plus Atkins bars, homemade almond short bread, home made almond orange cake, homemade chocolate metaxa flavoured truffles, pork scratching and, if only a crisp will do, either Pom bears or hula hoop puft. But not all at once!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have cheese, nuts, 70% choc, sometimes berries and cream.

But to be honest, the longer I low carb (very low carb) the less I want to snack. I usually just forget about food until Mr B starts lurking with a hopeful expression on his non-low carb face, reminding me to re-fuel him. :D

D

Deleted member 388305

Like those above - cheese, nuts, dark chocolate. I also will freeze blueberries, put some in a bowl and pour heavy whipping cream over them. The berries freeze the cream a little bit so its sort of like ice cream. The full-fat cream has a little sweetness to it anyway. Also, if you put some shredded cheese on wax paper and microwave it, you get a thin crunchy treat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! I have just remembered 9Bars.
https://shop.9bar.com/
They do vary in carbs, so the sweet choc covered or fruity ones may not be suitable. But the plain peanut ones don't spike me at all (less than 1mmol/l in the first hour, and back to base by 90 mins, even though they claim to have 16g carbs). I think it is because those carbs are mainly nuts and seeds, so very slow release.

Reactions: mo53

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
If it must be something sweet, dried apple rings are one of my choices. OK, they are about 70% carbs, but they weigh light. One decent sized ring weighs about 5 grams, and I find they are very satisfying, whereas I get carried away with nuts!

Reactions: mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like a pot of pomegranate. 100 g gives 11 g of carbohydrate but that's my treat :)

@HelenHak do you have a good recipe for almond shortbread please?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The longer and lower you keep your carbs under control then the less you will crave sugary things.
The more sugars you chose to eat the greater the chance of high blood glucose and the dangers that brings.
I find that some quite surprising things taste sweet - peas and beetroot were the first things I noticed.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Almonds. I need to take lunch with me a few days a week, except for salad and microwave stufff they are snackie. Today I had bacon with egg butter (hard boiled egg mashed with butter instead of mayo). Sometimes I do tuna butter. If the oven is on I fill those little silicon cup cake cases with all the stuff that could go in a quiche, bacon broccoli, onion, cheese (the chilli cheese from lidl is amazing) and pour an eggy mix over the top so it becomes quiche without the pastry. 12 silicons take 2 pints liquid. I use 5 or 6 eggs and double cream. (so much nicer than the quiche filling I used to make using milk). If I am home I treat myself to half a lidl protein roll with a slice of cheese on top microwaved about 20 secs.

Reactions: AM1874

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you have as 'treats' knowing that you are T2 ?

I'm looking for 'safe' treats that won't sky- rocket my sugar levels.

Atkins bars and Carb Killa bars, white chocolate, banana armour & caramel chaos are the best