Becoming a Malteser

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Folks,
As many of you know i'm Mum to Andrew, whos been T1 for 4yrs. I thought it was about time i let you all know of our planned big adventure. In 8wks time we are going to become Maltesers (so to speak) we are emmigrating to the beautiful island of Malta in the middle of the Meditteranean sea.
At the beginning of March we flew over there for a week of house hunting and to enrol the boys in their new school, we were successful with both and now the panic begins! Clearing out a garage and attic full of a lifetimes nostalgia has been challenging, i have been ruthless (the local charity shop and dump know me by name!)
I'm like a big kid waiting for Christmas and can't wait to start our new life, my only reservation is Andrews diabetes and how he will settle into a new enviroment and deal with a hotter climate. As an 11yr old, he is as excited as i am and wishes he were there already. He absolutely loved the island with all its history, battlements and architecture, plus knowing his Dad is buying a boat has doubled his excitement. Teenage son has finally come round to liking the idea, so one less thing to be stressed about.
I'll keep you all updated with our progress, for those of you that are interested, or ever thinking of emmigrating yourselves.
Suzi x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Suzi,

That sounds fantastic, I bet you can't wait to get over there and settled in! :D

Hope all goes well, and Andrew receives excellent care with his diabetes, do please keep in touch and update us on events.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Suzi from Ballymoney !

Well done on making your move to a new life in Malta. I hope you will all be very happy there and that you will enjoy all tht beautiful island and it's lifestyle has to offer. I am sure Andrew will thrive in such an environment and his Diebetic care with you around will be just great. :D

Make sure you keep in touch with us all here and from me personally I wish you and your family all the best.

Regards
Ken. x

suzi

Dislikes
Thanks Nigel, Thanks Ken,
I will keep you all updated on events, planning to travel through Europe before getting a ferry from Genoa to Valletta on June 1st/5th still in the planning! Although i may be absent from the forum in June as we settle into our new life and get the internet up and running, everyone will be close in my thoughts.
This forum has been a life saver in so many ways, from the advise and support, understanding and all the hugs, the laughter and the rollercoaster journey so many of us have found ourselves on, i thank you all.
Suzi x

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Hi, Suzi and Family - There's some great skin diving and snorkelling around Malta and the surrounding islands. The sea around Gozo is outstandingly clear, so you can spend hours in the sea. From one expat to future expats my very bestest wishes for a happy future in your new home. PS My son has just become a Luxembourg citizen.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hi Suzi
Enjoy Malta. It was my home as an 8-10 year old in the sixties and quite an exciting life. Stay well away from the bread as it is sooo delicious. Would love stories from Malta once you get settled.
Alison

suzi

Dislikes
Thanks Bill,
Have already made friends with expats on a forum and already planned to go to a quiz nite on Gozo. Planning to take the boat over and stay the night in a secluded bay, may even try some snokelling. Congratulations to your son on becoming a Luxembourger.

Thanks Alison,
The bread is still as delicious, will have to watch my waistline!! The island hasn't really changed that much, roads slightly better, lot more buildings though all within character and still as beige. with sparce greenery. I'm still in love with the island and can't wait to move, will keep in touch once settled.

Suzi x

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Folks,
Seems like forever since i popped into the forum. We arrived in Malta on May 31st after a wonderful trip through Europe and have settled well into our new life.
Andrew has been amazing and his bs readings are so much more consistant than back in N ireland, must be the weather. We have a better pattern and insulin requirements despite the constant heat are on the same dose as before but with better results.
I have turned into Delia Smith overnight to accomodate his Gluten free diet and am now baking bread every 3 days, even making gluten free sausages, with my new kenwood chef and attachments (now i know why men love gadgets)
School here has just finished and doesn't return til Sept 25th, we have found 2 schools and are deciding which one is the best option. In the mean time we have another 12 weeks of summer holidays to look forward to. Although Malta is a small island, with so much sun,sea and history, im sure i can keep the boys occupied (fingers crossed)
Suzi x

C

catherinecherub

Hi suzi,
Lovely to hear from you and am pleased that all is well.
Andrew's progress is amazing, perhaps we should all come and stay with you and keep on track. :wink:
Delia eat your heart out, can see you getting a cookbook together and making a fortune.
Sun, sea and sand and friendly people seems like the ideal place to be. I had a holiday there and loved every minute of it.
Keep in touch.

Catherine.

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
Oh................I thought this thread was about choclolate.......I wanted to be a Maltezer too!!!! :lol:

After calming down and reading, I am really glad everything is going to well

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nice to hear from you again Suzi! :D

Sounds like you have settled down nicely in Malta, and good news that Andrews diabetes has been unaffected by the heat. Out of interest, what is the care and provision like for people with diabetes on the island, are insulin's and testing equipment easily accessible there?

Nigel

suzi

Dislikes
Well Nigel,
care and provisions are basically the same as the UK. I did a lot of research before taking the step to emmigrate. Though as usual getting information from clinics (receptionists in particular, was like banging my head against a large brick wall) We have come equiped with a good 7 months supply of all Andrews insulins/test strips ect and have to register as citizens within 6 months of arrival, until we do that i can't register with a GP/hospital. But will be doing it shortly, as the Maltese are a friendly nation i don't see any difficulties other than there need for afternoon siestas, they don't hurry themselves to do anything quickly!! and don't get me started on there driving!!
It took 2weeks to get phone/tv/internet, though big bonus they didn't charge £125 connection fee like a british company i know lol. They also came equiped with tv aerial, box and phone, again foc.
Biggest bonus for us coming from Northern Ireland is the sunshine and very little rainfall.
Suzi x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Suzi.
Welcome back from both myself and Sue (sugarless) . We are glad to see one of our 'old customers' back on the net. We have missed your contributions here. You sound like both Andrew and the rest of the Family are doing really well out there. good luck to you all.

Keep posting.......... :D

Ken / Sue

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
So happy for you and your family, Suzi. Enjoy your new life, and don't forget that Malta is a member of the EU so you have the same rights and privileges as a Maltese citizen. Remember the website details I gave you.
All the very best wishes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
suzi said:
they don't hurry themselves to do anything quickly!! and don't get me started on there driving!!

Sounds very much like the UK! :lol:

Looks like you have done your homework Suzi, once you register hopefully everything will be put in place. My in-laws often holidayed in Malta years ago, and always spoke highly of the Maltese people on how they welcome outsiders into their communities, and would often get invited as guests to their homes for a evening meal. Keep us updated on your new life in Malta, and hope things continue to go well for you all.

Nigel

suzi

Dislikes
Thanks for the welcome back, with such great people on the forum, how could i ever stay away.
Suzi x