Not diagnosed - Advice Needed!

Johnxander

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Hello,

I am kind of new to the forum and terribly worried about my health, so I hope I will be able to hear your input!

I am a 18 year old male. So, recently I started having symptoms such as vibration in my legs/lower back, frequent urination, something stuck in my throat sensation. I do feel giddy at times but I do not think about it much. Also, I do not have a sweet tooth neither do I eat sweet stuff. My weight is generally acceptable but its nearing the overweight part.

So I went to the doctors and did two urine test. The first urine test came out negative while the secon urine test detected glucose. Hence, the doctor told me to do a fasting blood test. I did the test today and got a reading of 5.3. However, my fasting period was about 16 hours and my doctor told me it was inaccurate since I over fast and asked me to go for another test next week.

Now, I am incredibly worried that I might be diagnosed with diabetes although my family does not have anyone with diabetes. What should I do in the mean time before the test? Hope to hear about your inputs!

Regards,

John

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been asked to fast for by your gp

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Johnxander What you should do is don't panic :) Just carry on eating and drinking normally until you need to prepare for your fasting test and then follow the instructions your doctor gave you so that the test result is valid :)

If you have diabetes ruled out - which is perfectly possible - then do ask your doctor if they can make any suggestions about what might be causing your symptoms. Some of your symptoms aren't 'diabetic symptoms' but that doesn't necessarily mean there's anything badly wrong. A general health screen would put your mind at rest.

Johnxander

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Hello all!

Thank you for your prompt reply. The doctor told me to fast for not more than 12 hours as any longer than that could result in a decrease!

My next appointment will be on Wednesday, however, I'm still kind of worried. Would the first reading be a good gauge that I might not have diabetes?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
John - Easier said than done but carry on as normal! No point making changes that mask what if anything is wrong with you. I am by no means or stretch of the imagination medically trained but my first thought was a possible kidney infection - hopefully it is actually nothing but for my own curiosity please let us know if you do get diagnosed with something!

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As has already been said please don't panic. Stress wont help either. Do exactly what your gp has asked you to do

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all!

Thank you for your prompt reply. The doctor told me to fast for not more than 12 hours as any longer than that could result in a decrease!

My next appointment will be on Wednesday, however, I'm still kind of worried. Would the first reading be a good gauge that I might not have diabetes?

Possibly, yes. The important thing to remember is that just because a doctor decides to do a certain test, it doesn't mean you have that condition. They're just checking obvious things and hoping to rule things out :)

Johnxander

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Thank you all for your reply!

Possibly, yes. The important thing to remember is that just because a doctor decides to do a certain test, it doesn't mean you have that condition. They're just checking obvious things and hoping to rule things out :)

Hearing that make me feel a little better. I was terribly worried when I heard that I might have diabetes.

I was given antibiotics as well and the symptoms have now became better. I hope it's just a simple infection!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your reply!

Hearing that make me feel a little better. I was terribly worried when I heard that I might have diabetes.

I was given antibiotics as well and the symptoms have now became better. I hope it's just a simple infection!

That sounds like it might possibly be a urine infection then. They can make you feel quite rough, with dizziness, back pain,,etc.

Do still go along for your fasting test, but don't worry :)

Johnxander

Type of diabetes
Researcher
That sounds like it might possibly be a urine infection then. They can make you feel quite rough, with dizziness, back pain,,etc.

Do still go along for your fasting test, but don't worry :)

The weirdest part is that I don't really have any pain while going to the toilet. What do you suggest in the mean time for me to feel healthier again?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The weirdest part is that I don't really have any pain while going to the toilet. What do you suggest in the mean time for me to feel healthier again?

I'm not a doctor, but I'd say rest, keep hydrated, keep warm, and eat well :) A hot water bottle can help if you have a urinary infection and back pain.

Remember too that sometimes antibiotics can make your tummy feel a bit off, so don't worry about that. I usually get some probiotics or probiotic drinks to have after antibiotics as I think they help your tummy recover.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Johnxander

Type of diabetes
Researcher
I'm not a doctor, but I'd say rest, keep hydrated, keep warm, and eat well :) A hot water bottle can help if you have a urinary infection and back pain.

Remember too that sometimes antibiotics can make your tummy feel a bit off, so don't worry about that. I usually get some probiotics or probiotic drinks to have after antibiotics as I think they help your tummy recover.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Thank you for your prompt reply! I feel a lot less worried now. Hopefully the symptoms will go away by the time I finish my antibiotic. Keeping my finger cross all the way till the fasting test!

Reactions: azure