The Dr says "NO CAKES"

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
When I was diagnosed with T2 last Wednesday, the Dr said I would have to cut out all shop bought cakes, as they contain too much sugar. I do like my piece of cake, and my wife (bless her), has never been much of a cake maker. I have read that you can use normal cake recipes, but use half the amount of sugar. I have also read that fruit cake is not so bad. I think I shall have to speak nicely to her, or discover where the kitchen is myself. :D In the mean time, what to you experienced members replace your cake with?

Brian

badmedisin

Hi!
I'll let some type 2s answer this in more detail cos I'm type 1. But it's not just sugar you need to watch out for. All carbohydrate will affect your blood sugar. The flour in cake will affect you even if there's added sugar. And the dried fruit in fruit cake is very high in sugar. Have a look around on the T2 and food forums, there's some great advice about low carb and low GI eating. Also testing your blood sugars to find out how different foods affect you will be really helpful.
:)

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

There is also plenty of diabetic cook books about that have some tasty recipes, they also contain the amount of carbs in each slice or cake.

Tracey167

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
I'm a T2. I have loads of diabetic cookbook and yes there are recipes for diabetic "friendly" cakes. Mostly they use Splenda as a sugar substitute but some of the recipes I've tried there is an after-taste which is not that pleasant. Other posts are correct though - it's the carb content that could be the problem from the white flour.

However, I'm about to start to try to adapt some recipes using soy flour and wholemeal flour rather than white flour. If it works I'll let you know. Meantime, if you are longing for something sweet and low carb without the hassle of actually baking it first - I did find this web site http://www.avidlite.co.uk/ and if you select snacks then "sweet" from the snacks sub menu you will find a whole array of different finger bars. The Sensables Finger Cakes are rather nice (Double choc chip in particular) and they are sugar free and low carb. Doen't mean you can eat loads though....the sweetener they use can have a laxative effect but at least there isn't an after taste. I just found it great to be able to have something with a coffee or tea again. There are no doubt other suppliers but I found this firm do give a good service.

If you want to get into the baking you'll find loads of recipes online but watch the carb levels.

Reactions: lorraine95

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There are lots of recipes on line for cakes made from Almond Flour. these are VERY suitable for T2 diabetics. I've also heard a lot bout using Coconut Flour to make lo-carb cakes.

Be aware that white flour should be avoided in T2s. But test and see how your system reacts to white flour. You're at an early stage in your T2 (being as you are not on any medication yet) - so the better you take control of the diabetes, the les likely it is to get out of control.

If I were you, I'd take a good look around this site. Many T2s with great control that you can learn from...

The one piece of advice I'll give you is - it's not just sugar that you need to be aware of. All carbohydrates will have an effect on your BG (Blood Glucose).

adm

You should probably follow the Doctor's advice on that one - at least for a few months to see how your blood sugar reacts. Then you could start trying different "diabetic friendly" cake recipes and see how those affect you....

Get a Blood Glucose meter and test before and 2 hours after every meal - and try a low carb diet for a few months. test, test and test again. You need to KNOW how different foods affect you if you want to be able to control your blood glucose levels using diet alone - which you DO need to do or you will run into all the nasty complications that diabetes can bring.

If you've caught it early, you can control it pretty well.....but you need to make dietary changes (are you also on Metformin?)

Basically, try to cut out all processed carbs - all sugar, flour, white bread, etc, etc..... It might be a pain, but it should be worth it in the end and you will rapidly adjust.

Maybe snack on nuts, cheese, cold meat instead of cakes for a while and see how that goes.

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
Thanks for the replies, they have been really helpful. I am now getting used to the idea of having the condition, and view it as a challenge, something to get my teeth into, so to speak. :D Following the research I've done, I'm beginning to see the direction I need to go. I'm finding that I like things I never thought I did, like granary bread & diet yoghurt. I've no doubt I shall discover more delights as time goes by. Already, in just 2 weeks, I have lost around 4 pounds, and my BP is starting to look healthier. Have not yet got a meter, but that is coming very soon. The only snag is that on Saturday, we are off to Lake Garda for 10 days, and how can you go to Italy and not have an ice cream or two. :oops:

Keep you posted.

Brian