Low carb kitchen catastrophes :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I've been pretty bad the last couple of days, my carb counts not been so low, it's been about 75gms so decided today was the start... Again... But in my defence I've had 4 days from hell which started with the funeral of a friend on Friday. Mother's Day. And babysitting my mum yesterday... I was ready to tear my hair out...

Tonight I wanted a sandwich... A chicken one ... So decided to try making the oopsie bread... I know why it's called oopsie.... Because it tasted like oopsie...and it seemed to grow in mutant proportions... But although it still tasted of egg I got my sandwich, with butter, mayo chicken and salad... Result....

Now for the catastrophe.... I decided I wanted meringue ... I cook it all the time... Substituted stevia for sugar, and made it as normal.... Omg ... It tastes like sweet baked egg. It's awful... Going to have to try something else now as a base for my non cooked cheesecake....

Lol, so the cheesecake... It's in the freezer at the moment, and all I can say is.... Yippee the top worked... It doesn't have a base, but it's basically cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of lime juice and lots of stevia and whipped cream... It's got to stay in the freezer for an hour but I. Going to try it over the baked egg whites and see what it tastes like... I know what the topping tastes like... Really nice.... But on baked eggs I have no idea....

Everything I cook at the moment just tastes like eggs... Apart from the keto English muffins I baked this morning... Those were unbelievably good and really going to try those again... Again really easy... Just eggs coconut flower and baking powder... I baked them in cupcake cases and they were superb...

So has anyone got any horror stories of what they are experimenting with at the moment... I'm probably going to have more catastrophes before long... Creative is the only way I'm going to stay Lowish carb....

Did try cabbage chopped up instead of pasta, surprisingly good that one, will use that again....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try slicing cabbage about 1/2 inch thick, put the slices on a baking tray and slosh on groundnut oil then a light dusting of fresh ground black pepper, put into the oven for half an hour - or until soft, about 150 degrees C. Put on a plate under a chop or steak. Mmmmm.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried several different supposedly 'wonderful' 'lovely' 'delicious!' Low carb pancake recipes before stumbling on one that uses pumpkin and is pancakey.

All the others were like coconut omelettes! :yuck:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find that the choice of artificial sweetener will make or break a recipe.
The only ones that don't taint the flavour (for me) are xylitol, erythritol and sucralose (in small quantities).
everything else :***:

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That sounds gorgeous.... Must try.... :)
Try slicing cabbage about 1/2 inch thick, put the slices on a baking tray and slosh on groundnut oil then a light dusting of fresh ground black pepper, put into the oven for half an hour - or until soft, about 150 degrees C. Put on a plate under a chop or steak. Mmmmm.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@br
I also find that the choice of artificial sweetener will make or break a recipe.
The only ones that don't taint the flavour (for me) are xylitol, erythritol and sucralose (in small quantities).
everything else :***:
@Brunneria

I agree but the stevia is quite nice, it works well in quite a lot of things but alas no meringues for me.... Sweet baked egg whites they are... But......

I tried the cheesecake topping on an oopsie bread... And it tasted really good... Really really good, so much so that I've found a low carb pudding... :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried several different supposedly 'wonderful' 'lovely' 'delicious!' Low carb pancake recipes before stumbling on one that uses pumpkin and is pancakey.

All the others were like coconut omelettes! :yuck:

You made me laugh out loud here :)

For pancakes, I'm using oat flour,

One egg, some skimmed milk and a bit of water, and gluten free oat flour, normally two heaped teaspoons and a half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda... They are really good... The oat flour has no sugar but some carbs, I think it's 12gms if carbs per 40gm serving and <0.5g sugar... I also tried almond flour as well and that's even better... The bicarbonate really works

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I make pancakes by whizzing up three eggs and two and a half ounces of full fat cream cheese plus a little sweetener (I like splenda) then you can add the essence, extract or favouring of your choice. I like them with a teaspoon of very good chocolate powder. Let the mixture stand for five to ten minutes before frying in butter. Serve with a few berries.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make pancakes by whizzing up three eggs and two and a half ounces of full fat cream cheese plus a little sweetener (I like splenda) then you can add the essence, extract or favouring of your choice. I like them with a teaspoon of very good chocolate powder. Let the mixture stand for five to ten minutes before frying in butter. Serve with a few berries.
Ooo @Chook
You don't use flour in your pancakes?

Sounds really good another one to try as I have sort cheese in the fridge at all times :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ooo @Chook
You don't use flour in your pancakes?

Sounds really good another one to try as I have sort cheese in the fridge at all times :)

The original recipe is:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html

but I've taken the basic (very easy) mixture and added all kinds of flavours to it. The original low carb snickerdoodle recipe was part of the blogger' s suggestions for use during a fat fast so they are very low carb.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If meringue is the only thing that'll hit the spot, these mini meringues are only 4.5gr per meringue:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=260246259&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products+++Tesco+Brand*PRODUCT+GROUP260246259*&gclid=CKfq9fLIgNMCFckW0wodKpANdA&gclsrc=aw.ds

You could always make your cheesecake "bottomless", with one of those meringue babies and whipped cream, sort of, ish, like an Eton mess concoction?

Ooooo ooooo oooo that's exactly what I was trying to do, but I'm scared about putting the sugar back in... Craved it too much in the beginning

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok... And another catastrophe

A friend of mine bright me some whey powder. Now I had no idea how to use it or what to do with it until he said it makes great low carb cup cakes...

So 1 scoop of chocolate whey = approx 21g protein, 0.5g sugar and 2.1g carbs.... Whisk it with 1 egg and nuke for 1 min...

If fluffed up really nice, looked like a cake... But had the constitution of a cushion...

Think I may have left it in a tad too long.

Going to try this one again... But want to look into whey powder a bit more, whisked with water it's a bit like a milk shake which might be helpful if I'm on the go and can't eat.... They sell individual packs at his body building shop as well...

Something to think about... But cake oh that would be so good... And I'm so not a cake person

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mug cake:

Melt a teaspoon of butter in a half pint mug in microwave and swirl around to coat the inside of the mug.

Then dump in to mug a quarter American cup measure of ground almonds, a half teaspoon of baking powder, flavouring (I generally use a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract) the equivalent to be level tablespoon of sweetener (I use a heaped teaspoon of splenda) then add an egg - then beat until thoroughly combined (about 20 seconds). Then microwave on full for one minute. It will rise then fall back in itself a bit. Let it stand for a few seconds then eat. Lovely with few raspberries and a dollop of yoghurt.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you make your oopsie mixture. add a little sweetener and some ground almonds and vanilla essence. Spread it on a baking tray in a rough rectangle . You'll get the makings of a swiss roll when you bake it.
I simmered some frozen fruits with sweetener and then added whipped cream.. :) success
My attempts so far at low carb biscuits have been disastrous .. even the birds had trouble flying after eating them !

Attachments

• roulade.jpg
    roulade.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 190

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
O
Mug cake:

Melt a teaspoon of butter in a half pint mug in microwave and swirl around to coat the inside of the mug.

Then dump in to mug a quarter American cup measure of ground almonds, a half teaspoon of baking powder, flavouring (I generally use a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract) the equivalent to be level tablespoon of sweetener (I use a heaped teaspoon of splenda) then add an egg - then beat until thoroughly combined (about 20 seconds). Then microwave on full for one minute. It will rise then fall back in itself a bit. Let it stand for a few seconds then eat. Lovely with few raspberries and a dollop of yoghurt.
oooo Chook thank you, I'm currently out of almonds BUT they are on my shopping list...

So tonight's been a bit of an experimental night... My no base cheese cake wasn't quite right, so tonight, I hunted out a baked one I made in school recipe....

It's in the oven now :)

I wizzed some almonds in my blender... They came out like the biscuit base, so substituted almonds for digestive biscuits.... It seemed to work and tasted ok.

Then the creamy bit...

Quark, eggs and lime juice.. It tasted nice before it went into the oven, I sweetened with stevia so if this works I'll post the recipe... If it doesn't I'm going to keep on going....

I still want to find something I can serve guests as a desert that looks and tastes great that I can eat... If not good ol cheese board it is then.....

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you make your oopsie mixture. add a little sweetener and some ground almonds and vanilla essence. Spread it on a baking tray in a rough rectangle . You'll get the makings of a swiss roll when you bake it.
I simmered some frozen fruits with sweetener and then added whipped cream.. :) success
My attempts so far at low carb biscuits have been disastrous .. even the birds had trouble flying after eating them !
@daisyduck
You lovely duckie you :)

My oopsie breads getting better, is not frizbies any more and quite nice.... But..... That could actually work really well...

I'm still out of almonds.... Ahhhh or I would be off yo try it now

My biscuits haven't been good... And it's cruelty to duck and birds to feed my attempts.... But I will crack this....

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only half an hour left cooking in the oven then I'll see if it's worked.... So excited lol