Article in Thursday,s Daily Mail

Janrad49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Cats
has anyone else seen the article in today's daily mail newspaper by Sir Muir Gray that states type 2 diabetes is walking deficiency syndrome .that it isn't a real illness just lack of exercise .what are your thoughts . Today I have done 12628 steps hardly. Couch potatoe as sir Muir is suggesting .

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is the radio 2 bit on it, I was actually listening when it came on. I do disagree with the name walking deficiency syndrome, but thats thanks to the media thats what everyone thinks of the word diabetes. As a type one, I have been told more frequently than I should have that 'I am too skinny to be diabetic' or 'at your age?'. I wouldn't mind a new name for type 1 to be honest because a lot of people don't take it as seriously as it should be.

Time for the broadcast: 30mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08k12p2#play

Sorry for the broadcast name, the main topics were the ones listed, although lets hear it for the gem at 52 minutes! Absolutely hilarious!

Edit: just want to clarify, I do understand that a lot of people are predisposed for it, or it is not diet related. But until a year ago I was with the crowd, the only diabetic I know was a family member who definitely caused it by diet and lifestyle.

Last edited:

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I do know is that I walked a lot last week in Spain and my fasting readings were very good! They went up upon my return .....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit: just want to clarify, I do understand that a lot of people are predisposed for it, or it is not diet related. But until a year ago I was with the crowd, the only diabetic I know was a family member who definitely caused it by diet and lifestyle.
But what made that person adopt such a lifestyle? Depression? Leptin resistance causing constant hunger? Agoraphobia ? Other anxieties causing comfort eating? It's easy to judge, but if you are hungry then you eat and are more likely to grab snacks. If you eat junk food then you get even hungrier.

https://authoritynutrition.com/leptin-101/

If I do more than gentle exercise then my adrenal glands suffer and my BGs and weight go up. If only it was as simple as eating less and exercising more there wouldn't be many fat people around. That formula only works when the body is working properly, for those of us with messed up metabolisms it doesn't do alot, if anything at all.

Reactions: Ultramum

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But what made that person adopt such a lifestyle? Depression? Leptin resistance causing constant hunger? Agoraphobia ? Other anxieties causing comfort eating? It's easy to judge, but if you are hungry then you eat and are more likely to grab snacks. If you eat junk food then you get even hungrier.

I agree, but it was just a case of bad diet, mixed with waiting for an op (job related not overweight initally) so that caused lack of exercise, and they do enjoy the cider too. Just all those choices added up.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If only it were that simple!!! I exercised all my life and ate under 20 carbs per day for 25 years and here I am as a type 1 diagnosed 3 years ago.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If only it were that simple!!! I exercised all my life and ate under 20 carbs per day for 25 years and here I am as a type 1 diagnosed 3 years ago.

Yer that will be because type 1 (or 1.5/LADA) is auto immune, and potentially unpreventable (environmental factors up for debate)

Reactions: Type1Bri

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My thoughts @ElkBond ? J Vine is a "sanctioned" broadcasting "troll"..

My dad was T2. Consitant weight. Thin. Manual labour with work. Always on the go outside work. Officially Retired 3 times Couldn't give up work.. & still carried on working..

My neighbour. Again a slim guy T2.
Another T2 fellow dog walker.. Retired MOD security guard looks great for his age..
"Walking deficiency???" These guys (including my dad.) have been worked hard. Lol, all geared for the "outdoors" too!

No rhyme or reason.... ;)

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thats the thing, before a year ago diabetics to me were diet/ lazyness induced. Thats the media and I actually said I don't agree with the proposed silly name. Now I am more clued up on diabetes, the types and what not it is clear you can't label the same thing under one cause.

But yer, the sneaky side of me does want t1 to have a different name, I always refer to myself as a type 1 and usually people get it, because of the 20+ years of thinking like the crowd I do feel ashamed to say I have diabetes, the 'shame' is completely media based and not from the type 2 community, as I said I knew a single T2 who did unfortunately fit that bracket.

I actually know another now through proxy and their wife is t2. Judging by diet again of the partner..may fit the bill. But he speaks to me like I have the same thing and its no biggy, just take the meds and it will be fine (no change to diet). For that sort of reason the selfish side in me wants the distance. Its a very touchy topic, hard to tread lightly, especially for a newbie (i do mean well! honest). Hell lets rename them both! Insulin deficiency (T1) and ABS - insulin absorption syndrome (T2)!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hell lets rename them both! Insulin deficiency (T1) and ABS - insulin absorption syndrome (T2)!

Is it true that sometimes insulin absorption syndrome/T2 can lead to insulin deficiency/not T1 and people with insulin deficiency/T1 can sometimes also have insulin absorption syndrome T2?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it true that sometimes insulin absorption syndrome/T2 can lead to insulin deficiency/not T1 and people with insulin deficiency/T1 can sometimes also have insulin absorption syndrome 2?

Absolutely haha! But to your point, I think if your pancreas is overworked/ stressed as a T2 there comes a point where is fails and you are an insulin dependent T2 (or ABS ;) )

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yer that will be because type 1 (or 1.5/LADA) is auto immune, and potentially unpreventable (environmental factors up for debate)
My type 1 progressed quite rapidly after a nasty virus. I never functioned well on carbs but bs wasn't an issue then, as far as I know. But after the virus everything changed.

Agraham1826

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

https://authoritynutrition.com/leptin-101/

If I do more than gentle exercise then my adrenal glands suffer and my BGs and weight go up. If only it was as simple as eating less and exercising more there wouldn't be many fat people around. That formula only works when the body is working properly, for those of us with messed up metabolisms it doesn't do alot, if anything at all.

I agree with some of what you are saying but there is such a vast increase in Type 2 diabetes because of the lifestyles people now adopt. It sucks when people with type 2 have something actually wrong to cause it but, lets be honest here a lot of it is self inflicted. I totally sympathise with your situation you like myself a Type 1 have something in our bodies which does not function correctly due to no fault of our own, but we cant ignore the other much larger percentage. If i'm honest I don't know why they put you in a category of "type 2" surely this is a totally different thing?

S

serenity648

I agree with some of what you are saying but there is such a vast increase in Type 2 diabetes because of the lifestyles people now adopt. It sucks when people with type 2 have something actually wrong to cause it but, lets be honest here a lot of it is self inflicted. I totally sympathise with your situation you like myself a Type 1 have something in our bodies which does not function correctly due to no fault of our own, but we cant ignore the other much larger percentage. If i'm honest I don't know why they put you in a category of "type 2" surely this is a totally different thing?
If, as you say, some type 2 is self inflicted then why dont all overweight people, or people who dont exercise get type 2? Can you see that maybe you need to have a bit more of a look at your standpoint and realise that you are working on incorrect information?

It is not a straightforward cause and effect, like being near a hot oven, and getting burned. Everyone who gets diabetes, of any type, has an underlying problem with part of their body system. Something doesnt work properly.

Reactions: Ultramum
S

serenity648

PS @zand is a type 2.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When I listened to that chap on J Vine though with his 6 packs of quavers and drink etc and not seeing it as his probkem and relying on NHS to supply meds, it made me sad.

Is this an average diabetics attitude? Considering the qty of diagnosed we havent got that many members...

S

serenity648

When I listened to that chap on J Vine though with his 6 packs of quavers and drink etc and not seeing it as his probkem and relying on NHS to supply meds, it made me sad.

Is this an average diabetics attitude? Considering the qty of diagnosed we havent got that many members...

I dont think this is an average diabetics attitude. It is media manipulation along the same line as only showing poor people in need of help as benefit cheats smoking, drinking and having the latest phone and then saying they are typical of welfare claimants.

It justifies the governments victim blaming stance and justifies them cutting help, services and resources as we, who need services, of any type, are shown, by this propaganda, to be the 'undeserving poor' or 'undeserving ill' and can be left to rot, having been blamed for our lot.

(sorry about the rant, been volunteering at the food bank today and am a bit enraged still)

Agraham1826

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If, as you say, some type 2 is self inflicted then why dont all overweight people, or people who dont exercise get type 2? Can you see that maybe you need to have a bit more of a look at your standpoint and realise that you are working on incorrect information?

It is not a straightforward cause and effect, like being near a hot oven, and getting burned. Everyone who gets diabetes, of any type, has an underlying problem with part of their body system. Something doesnt work properly.

Because we aren't all the same, it can increase your risk of Type 2!. I know she is Type 2 thats what i'm saying not all Type 2 is the same just like not all Type 1 are the same. I actually know a lot about Type 2 diabetes Im not ignorant to the fact a lot of people cant help it hence why I wasn't saying any of that maybe you should re read what I said. I didn't say there was a direct cause and effect, but for example people who eat a fry up every morning and consume a lot of fat are at a higher risk of a heart attack that doesn't mean all heart attacks are caused by diet. Just like all lung cancer isn't caused by smoking calm down and stop picking a fight. I totally disagree with medias perception of all diabetes and it needs to change, but you cant say weight gain doesn't play a big factor in a lot of peoples chance of developing it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Jaylee thats the thing, before a year ago diabetics to me were diet/ lazyness induced. Thats the media and I actually said I don't agree with the proposed silly name. Now I am more clued up on diabetes, the types and what not it is clear you can't label the same thing under one cause.

But yer, the sneaky side of me does want t1 to have a different name, I always refer to myself as a type 1 and usually people get it, because of the 20+ years of thinking like the crowd I do feel ashamed to say I have diabetes, the 'shame' is completely media based and not from the type 2 community, as I said I knew a single T2 who did unfortunately fit that bracket.

I actually know another now through proxy and their wife is t2. Judging by diet again of the partner..may fit the bill. But he speaks to me like I have the same thing and its no biggy, just take the meds and it will be fine (no change to diet). For that sort of reason the selfish side in me wants the distance. Its a very touchy topic, hard to tread lightly, especially for a newbie (i do mean well! honest). Hell lets rename them both! Insulin deficiency (T1) and ABS - insulin absorption syndrome (T2)!
Only thing is the jury is still out on what actually fully causes type2. So how can it be renamed?
Myself I have other metabolic conditions which hunchback on the diabetes. My metabolic problems started showing at 5-6yr old but I'm type2. Where would I stop renaming my conditions. I'd end up with more initials after my name than stephen hawkins!
I'm sorry hun but I have diabetes. As you.