Worried -Possible anemia or worse!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, I was wrong. Calcium can be measured in the blood. It's only magnesium status that's difficult to measure. I found this statement here... https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/magnesium/tab/test/

Normal levels of magnesium do not necessarily reflect total body stores of magnesium. The body attempts to keep blood magnesium levels relatively stable and will release magnesium from bone and tissues to accomplish this. So, the blood level may be normal with early magnesium deficiencies.

From what I've read from a variety of sources, 75 to 80 percent of us in the US are deficient in magnesium. I don't know about the UK. This article overviews why supplementing with magnesium is helpful. I personally supplement with magnesium but not calcium for the reasons explained in this article... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/08/magnesium-health-benefits.aspx

I also take vitamin K2 because I have to take vitamin D3 to maintain adequate levels.

Calcium, sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate (or total CO2) are included in the Comprehensive Metabolic Panel that is commonly ordered when we see the doctor...

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/electrolytes/tab/test/

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/calcium/tab/test

I've had painful muscle cramps my entire life. Since I began supplementing with 450 mg of magnesium citrate two years ago - (some people do better on magnesium glycinate if they have loose stools taking magnesium citrate) - muscle cramps are no longer a problem. When I began reading about magnesium, I was shocked to learn how critically important it is for health. Wish someone had told me this years ago. :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I'd say... Tramadol gives me the shakes along with quite a few other interesting side affects which is why I can't take it for my arthritis.
I've never had any side effects from taking tramadol.

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, thank you for the information. I had to wait until this past Tuesday to get my blood drawn. The nurse said they would do 4 tests: B12, Anaemia, blood count and I forget what the 4th test is for. She said the results should be back in 2-3 days so will be calling to check tomorrow. Will let you know what they say.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glad you getting tests done, they should all be back at your GP within 36 hours.. if you are an online patient you should be able to view them the next day.

xkmac3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, 3 of4 results are back. Blood count is normal. A prescription for Ferrous Fumarate 305mg, 1 tablet 2 times a day, just arrived at my door so I'm assuming I'm anaemic . I have to make an appointment to see my GP regarding my B12 test results. There are no appointments available for several weeks so its back to calling in on the day to try and get in.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi xkmac3, you do seem to have a lot going on so I will restrict my answer to what I can tell you about my experience of vit B12 deficiency.

I had been taking metformin for years although I recently stopped taking them and also omeprazole as I was taking a lot of ibubrofen last winter for my arthritis and I had also had couple of recent courses of antibiotics for a chest infection and they can all help to cause a Vit b12 deficiency.

After a routine blood test back in January I think, it showed that my vit B12 levels were low but my folate and red blood cell count (RBC) were fine so anaemia was ruled out and I just just a Vit B12 deficiency.

I have had 2 courses of Vit B12 tablets but they failed to raise my levels sufficiently and I got a call from my GP's just this morning making me an appointment for a Vit B12 injection for the 18th April which is par for the course for appointments now.

Anyway, just wanted to say not to worry too much as it sounds like your GP on the ball and doing all the right blood tests and Im sure that like me you will get the treatment you need, eventually ;)

Good luck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good that they've identified two treatable nutritional deficiencies. Hopefully you'll be feeling a lot better soon.

When I was diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity, I was told that having a diagnosed thyroid condition and lab test showing low iron and B12 levels likely meant I had a non-celiac gluten sensitivity - (This was confirmed last year by ruling out celiac disease with the genetic test, though my gastroenterologist stated I should continue eating gluten-free due to the NCGS).

Hope you can completely eliminate gluten from your diet because each exposure triggers your immune system to attack healthy tissue, perhaps for months. The biggest challenge is identifying processed foods that contain gluten.

Another challenge is learning what to eat and not eat when you have a lot of inflammation. Unfortunately, the solution is dietary and physicians receive little to no training in nutrition, so we're on our own to sort out which foods are inflammatory and which are anti-inflammatory. It's highly individual. Hopefully, as you begin to feel better you'll be able to further refine your diet to reduce the inflammation you're experiencing.

Vitamin D plays an important role in managing inflammation. Did your doctor check your D3 levels too? If not, perhaps that should be checked too.

Glad you got some answers. You must be feeling relieved.

This movie tells the story of a nurse who suffered from a B12 deficiency that fought to have chronically ill patients tested for B12 deficiency at the hospital where she worked...

By the way, Izabella Wentz's new book on hypothyroid conditions is available now. It's getting excellent reviews in the US. It's available in the UK too... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hashimotos...qid=1490983223&sr=8-1&keywords=izabella+wentz

More reviews can be found in the US... https://www.amazon.com/Hashimotos-P...qid=1490983185&sr=8-1&keywords=izabella+wentz

This book will be useful in helping you with all of your autoimmune conditions.

For those who read my posts, I can't afford to see a health practitioner trained in the use of testing, diet, and nutritional supplements to treat my multiple chronic health conditions, so I did the next best thing, I started learning everything I could from the experts by attending health summits and reading books. I use my primary care physician for lab tests and for treatment of acute conditions only. That's the reason I refer people to online and print resources. Informed is empowered.