a week without insulin...

ukgeoff

hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 about six weeks ago when the hospital admitted me for blood sugar level (27.8), high bp..160 ish/90. and slightly high cholestorel. Anyway they instantly put me on novamix/metformin.. and tabs for BP and cholestorel. I was then discharged to the local diabetes nurse.I was 20.7 stone at xmas.... I am 6'5 and of large frame.... but since then, I have lost nearly 2 stone and am now 18.8..(previously to being diagnosed.. i did seem to be on a sugar fix and fizzy drink to quench my thirst( a sign of diabetes which i didnt know at the time..)

The diabetes nurse increased the metformin to 2 tabs morning and night... and upped the insulin to 16cc... Anyway.. this weekend... i went away for few days..and found I had brought along an empty insulin pen. (While away, I tested 4 times a day... and never did it rise above seven... and 9/10 times.. it was below 6.
on coming home 6 days ago.. I decided not to use the insulin... and my BS has'nt been above 7 and stays around 5.4.
Is insulin to readily prescribed for diabetes? or is it because ive changed my lifestyle to eating more healthily and going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week that my BS is staying low?.
I cant say ive fully cut out sugar or anything with 'ose' in the name...but i have greatly reduced it.
regards
.slightly confused. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not type 2 Geoff, but it may well be the life-style changes that you have incorporated have reduced your bg's sufficient enough to do without the insulin. To be sure, keep a close eye on your blood glucose and test regularly so that you can monitor your control, and make sure you write down your results in a diary to show your dsn to explain your reasons for dropping the insulin.

Good luck!

Nigel

ukgeoff

noblehead said:
I'm not type 2 Geoff, but it may well be the life-style changes that you have incorporated have reduced your bg's sufficient enough to do without the insulin. To be sure, keep a close eye on your blood glucose and test regularly so that you can monitor your control, and make sure you write down your results in a diary to show your dsn to explain your reasons for dropping the insulin.

Good luck!

Nigel

i use a contour usb so all records are kept.. but i also use one that the hospital 'issued' me with.

anyway..after 10 days plus now without insulin.... readings are always below 7 and mainly in the 4's and 5's...i test 3- 4 times a day..just in case...

diet..ive been eating sensibly... banana's.. sometimes 2 a day... plenty of fresh fruit.. chicken and fish... and meat.... no potatoes..rice or pasta which i used to have most days.....

exercise... 4/5 dog walks a day..and 60 mins in the gym cycling (10 k)/cross trainer(2 k) and mill (30 mins run and jog)5 k

also since friday.... i dropped from 4 metformin to 2 as i had headaches... since then... no headaches...and no change in BS readings.

I see the nurse next week.... hopefully..she'll recommend that i carry on and not try to pursuade me to use insulin when i cant see the need for it. :?

ukgeoff

well its been nearly 3 weeks now without insulin...and 2 weeks without metformin ( my own decisions after headaches and upset stomachs) and sugar levels were reading seemingly ok...
anyway the fortnightly average is 6.2 before meals.. and 6.8 after........ (had blood taken today at clinic and hopefully they willl come back satifactory)

Since then...and following some post's on the forum..i've tried various foods to see if theres anything that raises my BS abnormally. The most extreme i had was 2 strawberry tarts/fresh cream...and birthday cake..icing and all..... and not once did it raise above 7.5... odd. (o btw..just in case of a meter fault... i tried with 2 meters with the samish readings about 2 hours after eating...
Weight wise..im down too 18 st 3... from 19.11 from initial diagnoses..
hopefully diet and exercise will continue to control the diabetes.(no more cream cakes tho) 8)

ukgeoff

well.... my last blood test at the clinic back reading ok (HBa was 10.x 5 weeks ago... now reads 7.x).... so now im off insulin and metformin officially...if there is an official way :D .. and have to go back in 2 months...for blood test. and then maybe to the hospital for a glucose intolerance (pre diabetes???)
shame...they posted my restricted license back today... so i gotto send it back after ive used it for car rental.
happy bunny.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
why would they do a "glucose intolerance (pre diabetes???)" if you were already diagnosed as diabetic??

ukgeoff

brianb said:
why would they do a "glucose intolerance (pre diabetes???)" if you were already diagnosed as diabetic??
i dont know m8.... unless it it was a mis diagnose in the first place........

the sugar reading initially was very high.(27).. and then in hos 4 hours later = 21..... then the diabetic doctor in the hossy just said insulin and metformin...... and discharged me to the clinic of my choice( hossy or local doctors).... from there..it was a case of increase insulin... and metformin..to which i wasnt really happy about..but semi accepted them... but when you read the first information and forums about diabetes... i would have thought that diet and exercise would be the first course of treatment.. so i took it upon myself to do that.... and after i forgot to take insulin on a weekend away..and the bs test i did..i thought id give the metformin a miss as well.... an the rest was /is history... all bs test at home under........ and the last Blood test at clinic came back as hba 7..... she reckons its uncommon..but i could be pre diabetic...

i must admit...leading upto the first incident.... i did indulge in over the top sugar intakes and such...
litre of fizzy a day... plus other sweet things for a long time......maybe that can simulate the symtoms of diabetes... nobodies ever said it couldnt... and maybe my bodidily functions have nearly returned to normal now ive cut it all out.... and lost wieght and exercise...